Not Just a Pretty Face
The Ugly Side of the Beauty Industry
ISBN10: 0865715742 ISBN13: 9780865715745 Publisher: New Society Pub Published: Oct 1 2007 Pages: 177 Weight: 0.70lbs. Height: 9.00" Width: 6.00" Depth: 0.50" Edition: 1st Edition Language: English
The girls' guide to giving the cosmetics industry a makeover.
Lead in lipstick? 1,4 dioxane in baby soap? Coal tar in shampoo? How is this possible?
Simple. The $35 billion cosmetics industry is so powerful that they've kept themselves unregulated for decades.
Not one cosmetic product has to be approved by the US Food and Drug Administration before hitting the market.Incredible? Consider this:
- The European Union has banned more than 1,100 chemicals from cosmetics. The United States has banned just 10.
- Only 11% of chemicals used in cosmetics in the US have been assessed for health and safety - leaving a staggering 89% with unknown or undisclosed effects.
- More than 70% of all personal care products may contain phthalates, which are linked to birth defects and infertility.
- Many baby soaps are contaminated with the cancer-causing chemical 1,4 dioxane.
It's not just women who are affected by this chemists' brew. Shampoo, deodorant, face lotion and other products used daily by men, women and children contain hazardous chemicals that the industry claims are within acceptable limits. But there's nothing acceptable about daily multiple exposures to carcinogenic chemicals-from products that are supposed to make us feel healthy and beautiful.
Not Just a Pretty Face delves deeply into the dark side of the beauty industry, and looks to hopeful solutions for a healthier future. This scathing investigation peels away less-than-lovely layers to expose an industry in dire need of an extreme makeover.
15 percent of the purchase price of each book sold benefits the national Campaign for Safe Cosmetics, administered by the Breast Cancer Fund, through December 31, 2012.