The Gymnastics Book
The Young Performer's Guide to Gymnastics
ISBN10: 177085133X ISBN13: 9781770851337 Contributors: Dunn, Claire Ross Publisher: Firefly Books Ltd Published: Aug 30 2012 Pages: 144 Weight: 1.15lbs. Height: 10.25" Width: 8.25" Depth: 0.50" Language: English
An excellent book in every way ... Best of all, the book is accessible to early readers. Superb coverage of a popular sport.
--School library Journal (starred review)
This indispensable guide is simply the best book for beginners to the sport of artistic gymnastics. Illustrated with stunning full-color photographs of gymnasts balancing, tumbling and jumping, The Gymnastics Book features skilled guidance from a medal-winning, record-breaking gymnast who is now a noted instructor.
The topics covered in detail include:
- Finding a good gymnastics club
- Qualities to look for in a coach
- Warm-up and cool-down exercises
- Entering competitive gymnastics
- Managing victories and losses
- The importance of family and friends
- Nutrition and apparel
- Financial aspects
- A typical day of training for competition.
The book is also filled with anecdotes and advice from Olympic stars, taking beginners behind the scenes and offering a no-holds-barred account of life as a competitive gymnast. New gymnasts featured include:
- Shallon Olsen: At just 11 years old she ranked first overall in her age category. She now has the 2016 Olympics games in her sights.
- Kyle Shewfelt: To date, Kyle is the only Olympic Gold Medalist (2004, Athens) from Canada.
- Emily Boycott: A Special Olympics athlete and 27 years old, her team took home five gold medals from the 2007 Beijing Olympics.