Using 20th-Century Design in the Contemporary Home
ISBN10: 1770856129 ISBN13: 9781770856127 Publisher: Firefly Books Ltd Published: Oct 8 2015 Pages: 288 Weight: 3.50lbs. Height: 10.75" Width: 8.25" Depth: 1.50" Language: English
Antique and design enthusiasts will recognize Judith Miller's name. Since 2007, she has been an expert appraiser on the BBC's Antiques Roadshow, which is broadcast on PBS, and her Antique Price Guide and Checklist books are the most trusted in the international antiques and collectibles market. They are essential references, including for the experts on the Antiques Roadshow.
In Vintage Home: Using 20th-century Design in the Contemporary Home, Judith Miller turns her trained eye to the dynamic period from WWI to the 1970s. She covers both costly designer creations that sell in major auction houses and mass-produced kitsch found in flea markets and yard sales. There are objects from around the world and for every taste and budget.
There are five sections: The Birth of Modernism (1920s and 30s); Art Deco (1920s and 30s); From the Age of Austerity to the Beginning of Recovery (1930s-1950s); The New Look (1950s); and Space Age, Rock and Roll, Flower Power (1960s-1970s).
- Captions with all the information a collector needs, including description, date, designer, model number, material, measurements and manufacturer
- Special features on individual designers and design houses
- Design trends, such as Kitsch and Futurism
- A star system indicating the value of each featured item
- Buying hints on fakes, key quality conditions, and less expensive and more accessible alternatives
- Color photographs showcasing homes that use vintage pieces in a modern setting.
Judith Miller set the standard for reference material on collectibles and antiques written for experts and the wider public. Vintage Home: Using 20th-century Design in the Contemporary Home is the latest addition to a long list of exceptional resources from this passionate and knowledgeable expert.