Practical Pattern Making
A Step-By-Step Guide
ISBN10: 1770856110 ISBN13: 9781770856110 Contributors: de Castro, Lucia Mors; Hernandez, Isabel Sanchez Publisher: Firefly Books Ltd Published: Oct 8 2015 Pages: 240 Weight: 2.10lbs. Height: 9.50" Width: 8.75" Depth: 0.75" Language: English
More and more women are making their own clothes but there are few comprehensive references available. For the most part, dedicated sewers have had to adjust standardized patterns or muddle their way through foreign-language books.
In Practical Pattern Making two pattern-making experts and designers introduce the basic techniques of creative pattern design for clothing. It is intended to help fashion students, designers and enthusiastic sewers develop and create a variety of styles, regardless of complexity.
The book uses photographs, examples, diagrams and templates to explain all of the techniques, formulas and professional tricks to create a custom-tailored skirt, suit or dress. The tutorial style poses questions that encourage problem-solving.
- How to measure the body, with 13 illustrative photographs
- Blank professional worksheets to copy and use
- 40 scaled pattern templates with all markings
- How to draw and mark a sized pattern with darts, pleats and so on
- Modeling and draping to design and fit a pattern
- Working with fabric grain and bias
- Photos of garments in process and finished
- The 40 garment selections begin with a basic skirt and progress from a fitted jacket and suit to an asymmetrical balloon dress, flounce dress, tissue dresses and more. All require just a few pattern pieces.