200 Tips for Jewelry Making
Tips, Techniques and Trade Secrets
ISBN10: 1770852034 ISBN13: 9781770852037 Contributors: Withers, Sara Publisher: Firefly Books Ltd Published: Sep 12 2013 Pages: 160 Weight: 1.55lbs. Height: 9.50" Width: 7.50" Depth: 0.75" Language: English
An indispensable compendium of essential knowledge and troubleshooting tips.
This book packs in the combined wisdom of two successful jewelry-makers who are consummate problem solvers. Together they show the reader how to fix common mistakes, improvise tools and discover ways to save money, such as recycling gold and other precious metal scraps.
From beading to setting a stone, understanding annealing to soldering silver chain, 200 Tips, Techniques and Trade Secrets for Jewelry Making shows how to experiment and innovate to create unique jewelry designs.
The topics and methods covered enable any jewelry maker to achieve a striking and professional look to their earrings, necklaces, rings and more. Techniques are demonstrated in clear directions and step-by-step color photographs. "Try It" tips encourage innovation and "Fix It" solutions help with problems.
The book includes:
- Metal Jewelry Basics -- Health and safety, basic metalwork, buying metals, laying out a workshop, tools
- Working with Metals -- Cutting out, filing, soldering and joining, shaping and texturing, drilling, finishing and polishing, stones and setting, using metal clay
- Simple Jewelry Designs -- Designing, using templates, hallmarking and recycling; designs for earrings, rings, necklaces and bracelets, brooches
- Threading and Finishing -- Tools, findings and materials, threading and crimping, spacing, decorative knotting, fastening, using elastic and leather
- Using Wire and Metal -- Loops, making findings, working with chain, jump rings and chain mail, wire knitting and crocheting, punching and riveting
- Experimenting with New Materials -- Resins.
Packed with guidance and how-to photographs, this is a must-have for anyone who makes their own jewelry, whether at the beginner or intermediate level.