The Horse Lover's Bible
The Complete Practical Guide to Horse Care and Management
ISBN10: 1770852557 ISBN13: 9781770852556 Publisher: Firefly Books Ltd Published: Jan 9 2013 Pages: 256 Weight: 1.90lbs. Height: 9.75" Width: 7.25" Depth: 0.75" Language: English
Reviews for the hardcover edition: An extremely useful book for the general rider. --Horse Country
Written in accessible language... reader-friendly layout includes color photos on every page. --Sci-Tech News
This comprehensive and up-to-date reference takes a different approach to horse care and management by providing insights into the reasons why horses behave the way they do. Following the author's good counsel here, riders and owners can ensure their horses receive the best care while developing a valuable, lasting rapport with them.
The book's straightforward layout guides the owner and rider through the full range of issues, from assessing and purchasing a horse, to maintaining its well-being and ensuring its fitness, preparing for competitions, dealing with illness and injury, and much more. Checklist summaries appear at the end of each section. Step-by-step photographs and quick-reference boxes complement the comprehensive text.
The topics include:
- Assessing conformation, temperament, ability and breed characteristics
- Evaluating equipment and tack for both English and Western riding
- Analyzing horse behavior and natural instincts
- Stable design, field maintenance and nutrition
- Buying, stabling, exercising, grooming, training and showing
- Shoeing, tacking, traveling and breeding
- Step-by-step clipping, trimming, plaiting, show turnout and quarter marking
- Common ailments and traditional and alternative therapies
- A handy year-round plan of preventive health routines
- First-aid and emergency procedures.
The Horse Lover's Bible is a thorough and outstanding handbook for any rider, and especially valuable to new owners.