The 36-Hour Day
A Family Guide to Caring for People Who Have Alzheimer Disease, Other Dementias, and Memory Loss
ISBN10: 1421422220 ISBN13: 9781421422220 Contributors: Rabins, Peter V., M.D. Publisher: Johns Hopkins Univ Pr Published: Mar 27 2017 Pages: 393 Weight: 1.50lbs. Height: 9.25" Width: 6.25" Depth: 1.25" Language: English
Through five editions, The 36-Hour Day has been an essential resource for families who love and care for people with Alzheimer disease. Whether a person has Alzheimer disease or another form of dementia, he or she will face a host of problems. The 36-Hour Day will help family members and caregivers address these challenges and simultaneously cope with their own emotions and needs.
Featuring useful takeaway messages and informed by recent research into the causes of and the search for therapies to prevent or cure dementia, this edition includes new information on
- devices to make life simpler and safer for people who have dementia
- strategies for delaying behavioral and neuropsychiatric symptoms
- changes in Medicare and other health care insurance laws
- palliative care, hospice care, durable power of attorney, and guardianship
- dementia due to traumatic brain injury
- choosing a residential care facility
- support groups for caregivers, friends, and family members
The central idea underlying the book--that much can be done to improve the lives of people with dementia and of those caring for them--remains the same. The 36-Hour Day is the definitive dementia care guide.