A Wide-Ranging Guide
ISBN10: 1943328498 ISBN13: 9781943328499 Contributors: Mcarthur, Neil Publisher: Graphic Arts Center Pub Co Published: Jul 5 2016 Pages: 224 Weight: 0.94lbs. Height: 9.00" Width: 5.75" Depth: 0.50" Language: English
For the seriously dedicated as well as the merely curious 'shroomer, Alaska's Mushrooms is a wide-ranging guide to the fungi of the Last Frontier.
The book, featuring detailed descriptions of 114 species, includes: color photographs; family and common names; genus and species; striking field characters; both a macro- & micro-description; habitat and role; edibility, taste, and odor; look-alikes, and comments. This comprehensive collection also provides:
- information on mushroom seasons and habitats
- hints for collecting mushrooms for food and study
- tips on how to tell the real mushrooms from their "imposters"
- directions for making spore prints (an essential test for identifying mushrooms)
- hundreds of black-and-white line drawings
- a section listing all poisonous mushrooms by toxin groups
- a list of frequently asked questions
- a range map of Alaska's biogeographic zones
Alaska's Mushrooms provides authoritative natural history, informative color photographs, and black-and-white line drawings for clear identification, and lively notes from the field. It's a must-have for anyone who has a passion for hunting mushrooms.