Meet Tim Tebow: He grew up playing every sport imaginable, but football was his true passion. Even from an early age, Tim has always had the drive to be the best player and person that he could be. Through his hard work and determination, he established himself as one of the greatest quarterbacks in the history of college football and as a top prospect in the NFL. Now, in Through My Eyes: A Quarterback's Journey, he shares the behind-the-scenes details of his life, on and off the football field. Tim writes about his life as he chooses to live it, revealing how his Christian faith, his family values, and his relentless will to succeed have molded him into the person and the athlete he is today.
"Strike - you're out " "He's safe " "Homerun " Every October, millions of baseball fans around the country anxiously wait to see which team wins baseball's biggest championship. But the original games of the 1900s hardly look like they do today. Take a look back over one hundred years and discover the history of baseball's greatest series. With triumphs, heartbreak, and superstitious curses, this action-packed book brings America's Pastime to life.
Get ready to learn loads of awesome football facts in Epic Football Expert. Find out how football kicked off, the wicked rules of the game and the players who are the best of the best. With tons of lists, quizzes, facts and stats, this is the book which footy fans everywhere will just have to have.
Skateboarding is one of the fastest-growing activities for youth in America and throughout the world. This fun and exhilarating activity is a great way of fighting childhood obesity while providing a practical method of transportation. The increased popularity of skateboarding has created an unprecedented demand for more skateparks, sound instruction, and access to safe opportunities for skating. Skateboarding: Instruction, Programming, and Park Design provides safe and effective skateboarding instruction and programming as well as information on building and managing skateparks. You'll get all the tools you need to do everything from teaching fundamental skateboarding skills to designing and running a park to meet the needs of your community.
In Skateboarding: Instruction, Programming, and Park Design, author Ben Wixon, an experienced skateboarder, instructor, and skatepark consultant and advocate, provides you with
-a full curriculum with progressive lesson plans and practice strategies to help you teach skateboarding safely and correctly;
-guidance through the planning and design process, including an overview of the pros and cons of various skatepark styles and construction types;
-information on key management issues such as supervision, staffing, scheduling, and maintenance; and
-strategies for managing risk through appropriate skateboarding instruction, supervision, and park maintenance.
Proper instruction in skateboarding fundamentals is the first step in providing a safe experience for all participants. Skateboarding begins with a ready-to-use curriculum that can be implemented in a variety of settings, including schools, public parks, and camps. The step-by-step lesson plans make it easy to teach everything from basic techniques to intermediate and advanced skills. The lesson plans are educationally sound, meet NASPE standards, and can be used either in or out of a skatepark. The curriculum also includes practice strategies to help participants acquire new skills and perfect their techniques, and it even includes guidelines on safety and skatepark etiquette so students will learn that avoiding risk is an important part of skateboarding fun. The book's glossary makes technical jargon and skateboarding slang easy to understand for administrators and new instructors and gives them insight into the idiosyncrasies of skateboarding culture.
Skateboarding also features thorough coverage of skatepark management and administration. Wixon offers expert advice on planning and designing a skatepark. He presents factors and questions to consider, information on the various types of skateparks so you can choose the one that best fits your needs, and help with budgeting for construction and maintenance costs. You will also find tools and resources to help you manage both new and existing facilities. Skateboarding covers the most essential management areas. You'll find recommendations on scheduling and programming, staffing and supervision guidelines, and instructions on establishing a maintenance routine. The book also contains helpful forms, including participation waivers and safety and maintenance checklists, and a list of recommended vendors to make it easy to order the equipment you need. Throughout the book you'll find tips for managing risk and promoting safety in the skatepark.
Skateboarding is the perfect all-in-one resource for administrators, youth instructors, and physical educators. It offers all the information you'll need to design, supervise, and maintain a skatepark as well as create skateboarding programs for the youth in your community.
This spirited, Newbery Honor-winning tribute to the unsung heroes of the Negro Baseball Leagues provides an exceptional narrative of a vivid era in U.S. sports history (The Boston Globe). An engaging account.--New York Times Book Review. Winner of the 1995 Coretta Scott King Honor. Photos.
- A playful introduction to the practice of yoga for the health and well-being of your child.- Includes step-by-step instructions for more than 20 postures, as well as information on breathing and relaxation exercises. - Each posture is demonstrated by a child whose image is magically woven into full-color illustrations. - An invitation for children, ages three and up, to experience the healthy benefits of yoga. In this exuberant and colorful book, author and illustrator Isabelle Koch introduces children to hatha yoga, inviting them into a world of good health and vitality through her use of playful analogies and whimsical illustrations. Like a Fish in Water provides step-by-step instructions for more than 20 yoga postures and the basics of breathing, as well as a variety of relaxation exercises. Each posture is demonstrated by a child whose image is magically woven into the brightly colored backgrounds and accompanied by text that clearly and simply guides the child through the movements, using language accessible to everyone. Daily yoga practice can provide an island of calm in today's hectic world in which children are continuously bombarded with stimuli. Yoga fosters both physical and emotional health, sharpens focus, and improves attention span. Like a Fish in Water offers parents a perfect opportunity to spend time with their children, while engaging in a healthy and enjoyable activity. So whether it is used to get the day off to a positive start or to wind it down toward a peaceful end, Koch's book and the instruction it offers is ideal for parents, teachers, and, most importantly, children.
Illustrated by Melanie Rose
Author Brad Herzog brings his well-received prose and soccer knowledge together with Melanie Rose's charming and realistic illustrations to detail every facet of the game. Each letter has a simple rhyme for young readers:
""J is for the Jerseys that soccer players wear.
But often in the World Cup, opponents tend to share.
In a gesture of respect after a game ends,
They simply swap their jerseys as if they are old friends.""
For older readers the expository text gives specific details about goaltending, referees, the World Cup, and many other aspects. "K is for Kick" follows the wildly popular "Z is for Zamboni."
An excellent book in every way ... Best of all, the book is accessible to early readers. Superb coverage of a popular sport.
--School library Journal (starred review)
This indispensable guide is simply the best book for beginners to the sport of artistic gymnastics. Illustrated with stunning full-color photographs of gymnasts balancing, tumbling and jumping, The Gymnastics Book features skilled guidance from a medal-winning, record-breaking gymnast who is now a noted instructor.
The topics covered in detail include:
- Finding a good gymnastics club
- Qualities to look for in a coach
- Warm-up and cool-down exercises
- Entering competitive gymnastics
- Managing victories and losses
- The importance of family and friends
- Nutrition and apparel
- Financial aspects
- A typical day of training for competition.
The book is also filled with anecdotes and advice from Olympic stars, taking beginners behind the scenes and offering a no-holds-barred account of life as a competitive gymnast. New gymnasts featured include:
- Shallon Olsen: At just 11 years old she ranked first overall in her age category. She now has the 2016 Olympics games in her sights.
- Kyle Shewfelt: To date, Kyle is the only Olympic Gold Medalist (2004, Athens) from Canada.
- Emily Boycott: A Special Olympics athlete and 27 years old, her team took home five gold medals from the 2007 Beijing Olympics.