- A playful introduction to the practice of yoga for the health and well-being of your child.- Includes step-by-step instructions for more than 20 postures, as well as information on breathing and relaxation exercises. - Each posture is demonstrated by a child whose image is magically woven into full-color illustrations. - An invitation for children, ages three and up, to experience the healthy benefits of yoga. In this exuberant and colorful book, author and illustrator Isabelle Koch introduces children to hatha yoga, inviting them into a world of good health and vitality through her use of playful analogies and whimsical illustrations. Like a Fish in Water provides step-by-step instructions for more than 20 yoga postures and the basics of breathing, as well as a variety of relaxation exercises. Each posture is demonstrated by a child whose image is magically woven into the brightly colored backgrounds and accompanied by text that clearly and simply guides the child through the movements, using language accessible to everyone. Daily yoga practice can provide an island of calm in today's hectic world in which children are continuously bombarded with stimuli. Yoga fosters both physical and emotional health, sharpens focus, and improves attention span. Like a Fish in Water offers parents a perfect opportunity to spend time with their children, while engaging in a healthy and enjoyable activity. So whether it is used to get the day off to a positive start or to wind it down toward a peaceful end, Koch's book and the instruction it offers is ideal for parents, teachers, and, most importantly, children.
Competition is the name of the game in sports. But without a doubt, the fiercest battles are fought when longtime rivals come face to face. Here are in-depth looks at five such legendary rivalries:The Yankees versus the Red Sox The Celtics versus the Lakers The United versus the Galaxy The Canadiens versus the Bruins The Bears versus the Packers. Each section is packed with intense play-by-play game action, recaps of classic moments that sparked the feuds and insights into heated clashes. And because it's Matt Christopher, young readers know they're getting the best sports writing on the shelf
The Inspiring Biography of a Minnesota Football Star
From a young age, Stefon Diggs showed promise as a gifted athlete. He was fast enough to win medals as a track & field sprinter, and he was an elite high school football player. By the end of his high school career, his accolades included runner-up as Maryland's Player of the Year and an invitation to participate in a nationally televised all-star game. He was considered one of the best wide receivers in the country, and he had his pick of college football teams. But his life was shaped by a tragedy. Dedicated to his family, Stefon chose to remain close to home. While his college career got off to a promising start, it was soon derailed by injury. Stefon wasn't about to give up. This is a story of skill and determination. It is proof that anything is possible with hard work and a winning attitude. Local author and sports fan Doug Olson, Jr., chronicles Stefon's rise from injury to mid-round draft pick to one of the best wide receivers in professional sports--and, of course, the Miracle. Complete with full-color photographs, this is a true story of inspiration. Stefon Diggs is a must-read for every sports fan in Minnesota and beyond.
A little boy named Clemente learns about his namesake, the great baseball player Roberto Clemente, in this joyful picture book biography.
Born in Puerto Rico, Roberto Clemente was the first Latin American player to be inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame, and the only player for whom the five-year initiation period was waived. Known not only for his exceptional baseball skills but also for his extensive charity work in Latin America, Clemente was well-loved during his eighteen years playing for the Pittsburgh Pirates. He died in a plane crash while bringing aid supplies to earthquake victims in Nicaragua.
Willie Perdomo's rhythmic text and Bryan Collier's energetic art combine to tell the amazing story of one of baseball's greats.
Clemente is a 2011 Bank Street - Best Children's Book of the Year.
Now anyone can be one of the "boys or girls of summer" and get a home plate view of America's favorite pastime in H is for Home Run: A Baseball Alphabet. This new offering in our line of children's alphabet books brings the game of baseball to entertaining and informative life. Sports writer Brad Herzog pairs easy-to-read rhymes with detailed expository so that readers are pitched baseball's facts, faces, history, and places from A-Z.
A little boy begins taking yoga lessons at the zoo, where he learns that he can mimic the animals there with simple yoga poses. When he returns home after his lessons, he practices with his cat, Nino. With an illustration of each animal pose and a description of how to do it on each page, this enchanting book makes the perfect instruction guide for even the smallest yogi.
"An excellent book in every way... Best of all, the book is accessible to early readers. Superb coverage of a popular sport."
-- School Library Journal (starred review)
This indispensable guide is simply the best book for beginners to the sport of artistic gymnastics. Illustrated with full-color photographs of gymnasts balancing, tumbling and jumping, The Gymnastics Book features skilled guidance from a medal-winning Ontario Sports Hall of Fame gymnast who is now a noted instructor.
The topics covered in detail include:
- Finding a good gymnastics club
- Qualities to look for in a coach
- Warm-up and cool-down exercises
- Entering competitive gymnastics
- Managing victories and losses
- The importance of family and friends
- Nutrition and apparel
- Financial aspects
- A typical day of training for competition.
This edition is updated for 2018 with new interviews and updated profiles on the most prominent star gymnasts of today and yesterday, including Simone Biles, Ellie Black, Ragan Smith, Kyle Shewfelt, Emily Boycott and many more. Anecdotes and advice from Olympic stars take beginners behind the scenes and offer a no-holds-barred account of life as a competitive gymnast. Updated profiles on the Olympic greats and gymnasts who have become well-known coaches, gym owners, and gymnastics judges show young gymnasts career pathways beyond the competition.
The Gymnastics Book provides motivation and detailed instruction to young gymnastics students
Young sports fans will love reading about the best players in their favorite leagues. Accessible text and action photos highlight the skills and accomplishments of past and present stars of pro hockey, soccer, NASCAR, and other sports. Presents some of world soccer's greatest players and their achievements, including Lionel Messi, James Rodriguez, and Carli Lloyd.