- Do you sometimes wonder if your best friend is truly a friend?
- Does your boss try to control your every move?
- Does your fear of being left alone keep you in chronically hurtful relationships? If any of these questions sound familiar, you could very well be suffering from emotional abuse--the most widespread but also the most hidden abuse that women experience. This type of abuse is just as damaging as physical or sexual abuse. But there is help in this invaluable compassionate sourcebook. As a marriage, family, and child therapist who has grappled with these issues herself, Beverly Engel guides you through a step-by-step recover process, helping you shed the habits begun in childhood and take the first few steps toward healthy change. Using numerous examples drawn from case history and her own therapeutic expertise, Engel will show you how to - Recognize and understand the abusers in your life
- Identify the patterns that have kept you emotionally trapped
- Complete your unfinished business
- Decide whether to walk away from an abusive relationship or take a stand and stay
- Heal the damage of abuse by building self-esteem
- Break the cycle of abuse and open yourself to the promise of healthy relationships
Reiki is a Japanese term which means "universal life energy" -i.e. the energy that lives in all creation, that is inherent to all living beings and that nourishes them and keeps them alive. This book describes exactly how Reiki energy works, the way it can be used and the effects that can be achieved with its help.
Hurley and Dobson explore how the wisdom of the Enneagram allows you to bring out the best in yourself and others. Delving deeper than other systems of personality exploration, the Enneagram system of nine distinctive patterns of unconscious motivation reveals the primary sources of our behavior and the reasons we live as we do.Through detailed descriptions and discerning self-inventory questions, Hurley and Dobson make discovering your personality type fun and easy. They provide simple, proven methods for neutralizing negative attitudes about self and others and releasing untapped potential. Armed with the Enneagram's insights, readers learn to transform weaknesses into strengths, break free of crippling patterns, choose new ways of relating to others, and enjoy balance and harmony. For example:
- The Achiever can move from dissatisfied perfectionism to effective leadership and become a Pathfinder.
- The Observer can move from fear of commitment to curiosity and courage and become an Explorer.
- The Helper can move from over-involvement in the lives of others to mutual relationships and become a Partner.
This is a book created to be given. At its center is a poem by Charles Snell which was written for, and published in, 1914 as a small gift book. In it the giver, in a series of concrete images, extends the recipient many good wishes.
"This Is My Wish for You" is in the tradition of ancient blessings, in which one tries, through the power of language, to throw a mantle of protection and beneficence over the receiver.
In our volume, the text is presented within borders made by Daniel Maclise for a book entitled "Moore's Irish Melodies," published in 1846. We have selected images to accompany each wish. These are made by a great variety of painters and illustrators, and range over more than 150 years.
We assert, without exaggeration, that this is the nearly perfect gift book.
Have you tried so many spiritual paths that you've become pathological? Experienced so much personal growth that you're totally growthed out? Do you think God probably loves you--but He's just not ready to make a commitment? Have you spent so much money on fixing yourself that now you're really broke? Do you think you might be confused, but you're just not sure? Look no more. Swami Beyondananda, whose syndicated columns, tapes, and live performances have delighted millions, has the ultimate answers for you.
Natalie Goldberg's word-of-mouth hit has sold well over half a million copies. Goldberg, who has conducted writing workshops for both beginners and professionals all over the United States, sees writing as a practice that helps us comprehend the value of our lives. With insight, humor, and practicality, she inspires writers and would-be writers alike to take the leap into writing creatively and well.
Stephen Cheng's innovative book is the first to combine the best of Western vocal technique and modern psychophysical exercises with ancient Chinese philosophy and breathing practices. His simple but powerful vocal method is widely known for bringing about dramatic improvement in the performance of novices and professionals alike. Whether you are a singer, actor, or public speaker, it will help you to develop your vocal identity; increase vocal range and power; enhance the quality, dynamics, color, and expression of your voice; overcome stage fright; and memorize with ease.
From the founding editors of "Values & Visions" magazine: rich insights and practical advice on caring for one's soul amidst the turmoil of everyday life.
This delightful book is truly a care package for the soul, full of practical wisdom for daily living and one hundred concise suggestions for healing and feeding the spirit.
"This book of meditations does what it promises--helps keep (a wonderful word) soul present in daily life."
--Thomas Moore, author of "Care of the Soul" and "Soul Mates"
"Simply the best take-out, gourmet soulfood available to delight and nourish the deep in you."
--Sam Keen, author of "Fire in the Belly"