- Character writing practice sheets
- Dictation, fill-in-the-blank, and dialog completion exercises
- Answering questions, reading maps, converting written style to spoken style
- Identifying radicals and phonetics, punctuating sentences
- Writing tasks based on real-life schedules, photographs and name cards
- Translation exercises
- Audio recordings by native Mandarin speakers
- Hundreds of printable practice pages
- A printable set of 288 Chinese flashcards
Respected Chinese language educator Dr. Cornelius Kubler has taught Mandarin Chinese to diplomats, business people and students for several decades--using an effective learning system with two separate but integrated "tracks" to help you learn the spoken and written forms of the language more efficiently and more successfully. The materials in this series have been acclaimed as a breakthrough in Mandarin Chinese language learning. This book is a new edition of Basic Written Chinese: Practice Essentials.
- Learn to read and write the 288 highest-frequency characters and over 700 words
- Designed to have you reading and writing simple, connected Chinese sentences quickly
- Both simplified and traditional characters are taught; you may choose to learn either or both
- Features a variety of fonts and styles--typeset and handwritten--preparing you to use Chinese characters in different contexts, from reading signs to texting on your phone
- Pronunciation exercises
- Vocabulary and Grammar summaries
- Substitution drills
- Transformation and Response drills
- Role Playing and Listening Comprehension
- Dictation exercises
- Translation exercises
- 16 hours of audio recordings by native Mandarin speakers
- Printable practice pages
- Printable exercises and activities
Respected Chinese language educator Dr. Cornelius Kubler has taught Mandarin Chinese to diplomats, business people and students for several decades--using an effective learning system with two separate but integrated "tracks" to help you learn the spoken and written forms of the language more efficiently and more successfully. The materials in this series have been acclaimed as a breakthrough in Mandarin Chinese language learning. This book is a new edition of Basic Spoken Chinese: Practice Essentials.
- Clear and detailed pronunciation, grammar and cultural explanations
- Exercises and activities based on real-life experiences in China
- Hours of video recordings filmed on location featuring dozens of native speakers in various parts of China and beyond
- Six hours of native-speaker audio recordings for all the book's dialogues and exercises
- Special software allowing you to interact with the recordings.
Here is a concise guide to supplement any course of study and help with homework, travel, and test preparation. Topics include word order, time, nouns, verbs, adjectives, word choices with verbs and adverbs, and letter writing. The simple format has one goal: quick mastery and growing confidence.
Qin Xue Herzberg, a graduate of Beijing Normal University, has taught Chinese for decades and has been an upper-level Chinese professor at Calvin College for ten years.
Larry Herzberg did his PhD work in Chinese and founded the Chinese language programs at Albion College and Calvin College.
Qin and Larry live in Grand Rapids, Michigan, and are co-authors of the popular China Survival Guide as well as the recently released Chinese Proverbs and Popular Sayings.
- Basic Written Chinese systematically introduces 288 of the highest frequency characters (in both their simplified and traditional forms) and over 700 common words written with them in context in sentences and a variety of reading passages to help you master basic Chinese reading and writing. This method will greatly improve your abilities to read Chinese and write Chinese
- The structure of each new character is explained in detail to make the learning of characters easier, and "look-alike" characters are compared and contrasted.
- Many lessons include character differentiation drills and some lessons include realia such as name cards, street signs, or email messages.
- Each lesson introduces 6 new characters and a number of words that are written using them. By dividing the leaning into small tasks, you maintain a sense of accomplishment rather than getting bogged down.
- You'll experience both printed and handwritten forms of characters, as well as several different printed fonts.
- Over 6 hours of audio by several native Mandarin speakers.
- Recordings of all reading selections.
- Recordings of all new characters and new vocabulary.
- The Chinese characters are grouped into themes with a warm-up narrative for each one
- Each character's pronunciation and meanings in combination with other characters are presented
- Exercises to practice recognizing the characters and using the vocabulary are provided
- Writing guides show you how to write each correctly
- Includes easy access to online native speaker audio recordings and free, printable flashcards
This straightforward, easy-to-use resource is ideal for test-prep and mastering essential vocabulary, pronunciation and writing. With useful English, Pinyin and Mandarin characters, this book helps you to use what you learn both within a formal classroom setting and in real-life situations in China.
Being able to speak a little of the local language enhances any trip abroad, and this beginner-level Cantonese audio course contains all the key travel phrases you need to communicate with confidence.The 60-minute audio CD features native Cantonese speakers using phrases you're likely to encounter in typical travel situations. In no time, you will be able to meet and greet people, be familiar with numbers, time and days of the week, find your way around transport, shops, and restaurants, and make new friends. The case includes a sturdy booklet that is easily extracted and portable. It features phonetic transcriptions of the phrases on the CD, plus handy tips and key word reminders. The contents of the CD can be easily downloaded to your iPod or MP3 player.
Containing over 45,000 entries that aim to capture the core words of the language, this dictionary features bold, blue headwords that offer users accessibility and make it easy to navigate. It is useful for school, travel, and business.
The Berlitz Compact Dictionary series, ideal for travelers, students, and business people, features bold, blue headwords for maximum accessibility, thousands of idioms, new words, expressions and grammatical information. It’s a must-have compact reference work for language learners that fits in a pocket. From Berlitz – the leaders in language-learning.