The pioneering memory technique taught in this book removes the major obstacle to learning modern Mandarin Chinese: how to remember the meanings of more than 2,000 of the most common of traditional Chinese characters--enough to read more than 96 percent of the characters in almost any Chinese text. The lessons included here will help to learn new definitions at a breakneck pace, build up new characters using characters already learned, develop memory tricks to associate meanings with these characters, and fix meanings and characters forever in the mind. This unique manual provides a sure-fire way to master the most challenging and intimidating aspect of learning Chinese, vital for any student of the Chinese language.
- Clear and concise definitions for 18,000 common vocabulary items.
- The only Chinese dictionary designed specifically for English speakers.
- All entries listed alphabetically in romanized Hanyu Pinyin form.
- Includes all words for the HSK Chinese language Proficiency Examination.
- Contains over 48,000 entries, including all high-frequency Chinese and English words
- All Chinese words and phrases presented in Chinese characters and pinyin
- User-friendly presentation with idioms and example sentences
- The idea reference dictionary for students, and business people
- 25,000 Chinese words and expressions.
- Chinese-English and English-Chinese sections
- Up-to-date local Chinese slang and idioms.
- A guide to Mandarin pronunciation and Chinese Grammar.
- An explanation of Mandarin tones and syllables.
- An introduction to writing Chinese and stroke order.
- Radical and stroke indexes for easy reference.
- All the Chinese vocabulary included in the HSK language examinations.
- Romanized forms (hanyu pinyin) including tones for accurate pronunciation.
- Extensive notes with detailed tips on usage and social context.
- Parts of speech, common phrases and idiomatic expressions.
Other dictionaries in this bestselling series you might be interested in include: Concise Japanese Dictionary, Concise Korean Dictionary, and Concise Vietnamese Dictionary.
- Specially designed pictures and stories are used in a structured way to make the learning process more enjoyable and effective, reducing the need for rote learning to the absolute minimum.
- The emphasis throughout is on learning and remembering the meanings and pronunciations of the characters. Tips are also included on learning techniques and how to avoid common problems.
- Characters are introduced in a logical sequence, which also gives priority to learning the most common characters first.
- Modern simplified characters are used, with pronunciations given in pinyin. Key information is given for each character, including radical, stroke-count, traditional form, compounds, and guidance on writing the character.
This is a practical guide with a clear, concise and appealing layout, and it is well-indexed with clear lookup methods. The 800 Chinese characters and 1,033 compounds specified for the original HSK Level A proficiency test are covered.
- Complete English-Chinese and Chinese-English sections
- Headwords are printed in bold for easy reference
- Alternate meanings of the same word (in English or Chinese) are clearly distinguished
- Includes the latest IT, mobile phone, Internet and social media terminology
Using Chinese Synonyms is an essential reference book, specifically designed for non-native speakers of Chinese, and for teachers and other language professionals who want a user-friendly guide to the finer nuances of Chinese synonyms. It contains approximately 1700 synonyms in 316 groups. With the particular needs of non-native speakers of Chinese in mind, this invaluable book selects and explains words and phrases in everyday use, allowing students to enhance their knowledge of one of the most important and widely-spoken languages in the world. This book assists in the development of fluent, spontaneous and skilful use of Chinese synonyms.