Whether starting from scratch or just in need of a refresher, discover how to speak and understand Mandarin Chinese with 15-minute-a-day lessons. 15-Minute Mandarin Chinese contains two hour-long CDs, a full-color course book with themed chapters and real-life examples, a menu guide, and translation dictionaries. Now with brand-new packaging and plastic snap-shut case.
Learn Mandarin Chinese in just 15 minutes a day with this revolutionary language learning system, now with an accompanying free app that is available in the App Store and Google Play.
Practicing your language skills is quick, easy, and fun with 15-Minute Mandarin. There's no homework. Instead, use the visual guide and the free app to test yourself as you learn. Perfect your pronunciation by listening to native speakers, and learn from real-life examples that cover every holiday and business situation. Each full-color course book has themed chapters and common everyday scenarios, a menu guide, and translation dictionaries.
Whether you're just starting to learn Mandarin Chinese or you want to brush up, there's no easier way to learn.
- Master each character's radical, stroke count and meaning.
- Grow in proficiency by learning compound words.
- Example sentences show how to use them in context.
- Review activities reinforce your learning progress.
- Helpful writing guides and practice grids for every character.
This reader for advanced students of Chinese presents ten post-1990 short stories by prominent writers such as Su Tong and Yu Hua, whose novels Raise the Red Lantern and To Live served as the basis for internationally acclaimed films. With its captivating content dealing with current social issues, it fills a gap in the literature for advanced language students who are eager to read extensively in "real" literature. Vocabulary lists free the student from the chore of constantly consulting a dictionary while reading, grammar and usage examples highlight new patterns, and questions for discussion explore the literary content. This all-fiction collection of contemporary works can be used as a text in language or literature courses or can be read independently.
Far and away the most useful analysis of characters for both beginning and intermediate students. 1,000 most important characters are analyzed according to primitives, phonetics, and historical development. Traditional method offers mnemonic aid to students of Chinese and Japanese languages.
Architecture of the Periphery in Chinese offers a comprehensive survey on the fine structure of the sentence peripheral domain in Mandarin Chinese from a cartographic perspective. Different functional projections hosting sentence-final particles, implicit operators and other informational components are hierarchically ordered according to the "Subjectivity Scale Constraint" functioning at syntax-discourse interface. Three questions will be essentially addressed: What is the order? How to determine such an order? Why such an order? This research not only gives a thorough examination of the peripheral elements in Chinese but also improves the general understanding of the ordering issue in the left-periphery crosslinguistically. This book is aimed at scholars interested in Chinese syntax or generative syntax.
Basic Cantonese introduces the essentials of Cantonese grammar in a straightforward and systematic way.
Each of the 28 units deals with a grammatical topic and provides associated exercises, designed to put grammar into a communicative context. Special attention is paid to topics which differ from English and European language structures.
This new edition features:
- clear, accessible format
- lively examples to illustrate each grammar point
- informative keys to all exercises
- glossary of grammatical terms
Basic Cantonese is ideal for students new to the language. Together with its sister volume, Intermediate Cantonese, it forms a structured course of the essentials of Cantonese grammar.
- Character writing practice sheets
- Dictation, fill-in-the-blank, and dialog completion exercises
- Answering questions, reading maps, converting written style to spoken style
- Identifying radicals and phonetics, punctuating sentences
- Writing tasks based on real-life schedules, photographs and name cards
- Translation exercises
- Audio recordings by native Mandarin speakers
- Hundreds of printable practice pages
- A printable set of 288 Chinese flashcards
Respected Chinese language educator Dr. Cornelius Kubler has taught Mandarin Chinese to diplomats, business people and students for several decades--using an effective learning system with two separate but integrated "tracks" to help you learn the spoken and written forms of the language more efficiently and more successfully. The materials in this series have been acclaimed as a breakthrough in Mandarin Chinese language learning. This book is a new edition of Basic Written Chinese: Practice Essentials. All disc content is alternatively accessible on tuttlepublishing.com/downloadable-content.
- Learn to read and write the 288 highest-frequency characters and over 700 words
- Designed to have you reading and writing simple, connected Chinese sentences quickly
- Both simplified and traditional characters are taught; you may choose to learn either or both
- Features a variety of fonts and styles--typeset and handwritten--preparing you to use Chinese characters in different contexts, from reading signs to texting on your phone