Get a handle on macOS Catalina
It doesn't matter if you're doing your computing on an old reliable Macbook or a brand-new Mac desktop, both rely on macOS to help you get things done. It helps to have an equally reliable guidebook to steer you through the tasks and steps that make macOS run efficiently.
This fun and friendly guide provides the direction you need to easily navigate the classic and brand new features in macOS Catalina. Longtime expert Bob Dr. Mac LeVitus shares his years of experience to help you better understand Catalina and make it a timesaving tool in your life.
- Take a tour of the macOS Catalina interface
- Get organized and save time with macOS applications
- Find pro tips on speeding up your Mac
- Back up your data
macOS Catalina For Dummies is perfect for new and inexperienced macOS users looking to grasp the fundamentals of the operating system.
A guide to using the Flash authoring tool covers such topics as modifying graphics, working with symbols, frame-by-frame animations, building buttons for interactivity, and adding sound.
Cut hardware costs, expand your capacity, and manage an entire fleet of virtual machines in your enterprise with the leading virtualization solution, VMware Infrastructure 3 (VI3), by applying the step-by-step instructions in Mastering VMware(R) Infrastructure 3. Packed with the technical details, best practices, and how-tos you need to install, configure, and run a virtual infrastructure at maximum efficiency, this guide is comprehensive and essential. Learn how to create and manage virtual networks and machines, configure every product in the VI3 suite, monitor resources and performance, maintain security, and much more.
Apple created iOS, the incredible operating system that their iPhones use. With so many apps and new features being added all the time, this book will help you to get started. Learn how to use this great modern system in a way that is suited to your needs. This handy guide will take you through the best apps, tips and tricks for everyday use and has a troubleshooting guide if you get into trouble. With step-by-step instructions and clear, practical text, a novice to the iPhone will learn everything they need to know.
"First Sobell taught people how to use Linux . . . now he teaches you the power of Linux. A must-have book for anyone who wants to take Linux to the next level."-Jon "maddog" Hall, Executive Director, Linux International New Chapters on Python and MySQL-Covers Perl, too
- Learn from hundreds of realistic, high-quality examples, and become a true Linux command-line guru
- NEW Covers busybox, Midnight Commander, screen, and sshfs/curlftpf
- Covers the Mac OS X command line and its unique tools
- 295-page reference covers 98 utilities, including Mac OS X commands
- A MySQL chapter to get you started with this ubiquitous relational database management system (RDBMS)
- A masterful introduction to Python for system administrators and power users
- New coverage of the busybox single binary collection of utilities, the screen terminal session manager/multiplexer, and the mc (Midnight Commander) textual file manager, plus a new chapter on using ssh for secure communication
- In-depth coverage of the bash and tcsh shells, including a complete discussion of environment, inheritance, and process locality, plus coverage of basic and advanced shell programming
- Practical explanations of 98 core utilities, from aspell to xargs, including printf and sshfs/curlftpfs, PLUS Mac OS X-specific utilities from ditto to SetFile
- Expert guidance on automating remote backups using rsync
- Dozens of system security tips, including step-by-step walkthroughs of implementing secure communications using ssh and scp
- Tips and tricks for customizing the shell, including step values, sequence expressions, the eval builtin, and implicit command-line continuation
- High-productivity editing techniques using vim and emacs
- A comprehensive, 295-page command reference section covering 98 utilities, including find, grep, sort, and tar
- Instructions for updating systems using apt-get and yum
- And much more, including coverage of BitTorrent, gawk, sed, find, sort, bzip2, and regular expressions
For a company that promised to "put a pause on new features," Apple sure has been busy-there's barely a feature left untouched in Mac OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard." There's more speed, more polish, more refinement-but still no manual. Fortunately, David Pogue is back, with the humor and expertise that have made this the #1 bestselling Mac book for eight years straight. You get all the answers with jargon-free introductions to:
- Big-ticket changes. A 64-bit overhaul. Faster everything. A rewritten Finder. Microsoft Exchange compatibility. All-new QuickTime Player. If Apple wrote it, this book covers it.
- Snow Leopard Spots. This book demystifies the hundreds of smaller enhancements, too, in all 50 programs that come with the Mac: Safari, Mail, iChat, Preview, Time Machine.
- Shortcuts. This must be the tippiest, trickiest Mac book ever written. Undocumented surprises await on every page.
- Power usage. Security, networking, build-your-own Services, file sharing with Windows, even Mac OS X's Unix chassis-this one witty, expert guide makes it all crystal clear.
Get to know and love your MacBook better than ever
So sleek, so cool. From the moment you slid it from the box, you wanted to learn as much as you possibly could about your new device. Whether you're a newbie or a Mac veteran, you'll find all you need right here--from initial set-up and customization to working with iCloud and the latest macOS features and apps--making it easy for you to accomplish everything you want with your MacBook.
Mac guru Mark L. Chambers is your friendly expert guide, walking you through the all the basics, including desktop navigation, file storage and security, and general maintenance, before showing you the more creative stuff like music and iMovie, as well as how to troubleshoot with ease. In this revised edition, he's also included extensive updates on the latest generation of MacBooks, letting you know what's changed and how you can use the most recent apps for enhancing your professional and creative output.
- Explore the latest macOS
- Increase your productivity and creativity with the newest apps
- Be an artist with Photos and iMovie
- Easily use your MacBook on the go, from work, to school, to client sites
Whatever cool thing you want to do with your MacBook, this book makes it easy to make it even cooler--so get started today
Ever feel as though Windows XP was running YOU, instead of the other way around? Maybe it's time to show Windows who's boss. Make it run YOUR way. Get rid of the stuff that doesn't help you do what you want to do. Soup up security so you're better protected against spyware and other nasties. Find things faster with more efficient searches. Woody Leonhard shows you exactly how to do it in Windows XP Hacks & Mods For Dummies.
Don't let the word "hack" intimidate you. Woody walks you through every suggested adjustment step by step. He even provides plenty of explanation about what's involved and what tools you need. Windows XP Hacks & Mods For Dummies even gives you a convenient list of common hacks you should avoid because they don't accomplish much. You'll discover how to:
- Eliminate the annoying features that came pre-installed on your PC
- Speed up your system performance
- Pin programs, folders, files, and Web pages so they appear on your Start menu
- Launch applications more quickly
- Boost the performance of your favorite games
- Get the most from your iPod and Windows Media Player
- Navigate peer-to-peer file sharing safely
- Find free virus protection
In the fun and friendly Dummies style, Woody Leonhard gives you tons of helpful advice to make your relationship with Windows XP a lot more rewarding.
'My iPad 2' is a step-by-step resource to using your iPad 2, the latest model from Apple that boasts a new faster processor and two video cameras. Each task is stepped through with corresponding visuals that are numbered to match the step they are referred by.
Master Windows 10 by reading only one book
Teach Yourself Visually Windows 10, 3rd Edition brings together all of the necessary resources to make you an expert in the use of the latest version of Windows. Using highly visual techniques to maximize learner retention and memory, Teach Yourself Visually Windows 10 will have you breezing through the most popular operating system in the world in no time.
The book includes hundreds of step-by-step and illustrated sets of instructions to teach you both the basics and the complexities of Windows 10 operation. Lessons include:
- Installing and repairing applications
- System maintenance
- Setting up password-protection
- Downloading photos
- Managing media files
- And more
Teach Yourself Visually Windows 10 combines the best of visual learning techniques with comprehensive source material about the interface and substance of Windows 10 to leave you with encyclopedic knowledge of the operating system.
Perfect for beginners and intermediate users alike, this book will turn your Windows-using experience from a slow slog into a lighting-fast masterclass of efficiency.