Pianos and other musical instruments
Fishing and hunting gear
And much much more With merchandise ranging from ordinary to fantastical (and almost all of it priced at the pennies-on-the-dollar rate of the time), browsing through this vintage collection is fun, inspiring, and educational.
Adopting a child is an extraordinarily important decision. In this authoritative guide, adoption experts Robert and Jeffrey Kasky provide all the information needed to navigate the adoption process and to successfully adopt a child. The book discusses the various types of adoptions; alerts readers to adoption scams; and guides readers in selecting a reputable attorney or adoption agency. Highlights include: The rights of the birth mother, birth father, and the issues involved in an open versus a closed adoption. The costs associated with adoption Stories of actual adoptions that exemplify key points and make the book an engaging read. For anyone thinking about an adoption, this book provides all the information need to approach the process with confidence and make good decisions every step of the way."
Small enough to fit in your pocket, this practical little book will help you change the world as you shop
While we strive to make our vote count every four years, few of us realize that our most immediate power to shape the world is squandered on a daily basis. Every dollar we spend has the potential to create social and environmental change. In fact, it already has. The world that exists today is in large part a result of our purchasing decisions.
The Better World Shopping Guide rates hundreds of products and services from A to F, so you can quickly tell the "good guys" from the "bad guys" and ensure your money is not supporting corporations that make decisions based solely on the bottom line. Drawing on decades of meticulous research, this completely revised and updated sixth edition will help you find out who actually "walks the talk" when it comes to:
- Environmental sustainability
- Human rights
- Community involvement
- Animal protection
- Social justice
Small enough to fit in a back pocket or handbag and organized in a user-friendly format, The Better World Shopping Guide helps you reward companies who are doing good, penalize those involved in destructive activities, and change the world as you shop
Ellis Jones, PhD is the award-winning, bestselling author of five previous editions of The Better World Shopping Guide , and co-author of The Better World Handbook . A scholar of social responsibility, global citizenship, and everyday activism, he has dedicated himself to uncovering practical ways for people to make a difference in the world. He currently teaches at Holy Cross College in Worcester, MA.
- What the material used to wrap cheese can tell you about the quality of the cheese itself
- How to tell where an olive oil is really from--and why it matters
- What "never ever" programs are, and why you should look for them when buying meat More engaging than a field guide and more informative than a standard cookbook, and with primers on cooking techniques and anecdotes that will entertain, enlighten, and inspire, Eat Good Food will revolutionize the way home cooks shop and eat.
Wow Finally, a wedding book for the rest of us. With average wedding costs soaring over $25,000, you need real life solutions and creative ideas to plan a wedding without going bankrupt. Bridal Bargains is the answer Now in its 11th edition with over 700,000 copies in print, Bridal Bargains shows you:
- How to save up to 40% on brand new, nationally advertised wedding dresses.
- The best web sites to save on everything from flowers to gowns, invitations to, well, you name it.
- Fourteen creative ways to cut the catering bill at your reception.
- How to order flowers at wholesale online.
- Eleven questions you should ask any photographer--and seven money-saving tips to lower that photo expense.
- Affordable ways to print your own invitations at a 70% savings.
- A clever trick to save big bucks on your wedding cake.
- The best bargains on honeymoons, gift registries, rings, wedding videos and more
- New Green your wedding with eco-friendly invites, catering tips and more
The brand new,11th edition is revised and updated tips on tying the knot without going bankrupt.
MANAGE YOUR RISK IN A MORE EFFICIENT WAY What if you could insure the risks of your business, reduce your outof- pocket expenses, and create another source of revenue? Sounds too good to be true, right? With The Business Owner's Definitive Guide to Captive Insurance Companies, Mr. Strauss shows that, by utilizing a captive insurance company, this is not only possible but also a lot easier than you'd imagine. As one of America's top corporate, tax, and risk management attorneys, Mr. Strauss provides readers with true insight on the key sophisticated planning techniques used by small business owners who implement captive insurance companies. You'll learn the fundamentals and history of captive insurance and how this technique can provide numerous benefits to your business. This book will provide you with the insight on how to: -reduce out-of-pocket expenses; -increase cash flow; -insure more of the risks of your business; -protect personal and business assets from lawsuits; and -select the appropriate manager for your captive insurance company. Creating a captive insurance company may sound daunting, but with Mr. Strauss's guidance you can navigate the legal maze and utilize this valuable strategy with ease. Don't miss out on crucial out-of-pocket savings, and create more liquidity in a more tax-efficient manner. Take steps today and reap the benefits of captive insurance
An enlightening compendium of the best times of day, week, month, and life to do a variety of things -- from the serious (money, marriage) to the mundane (taking a nap, walking your dog) -- to save time and money in tough economic times.
Have you ever wanted to know the best day of the week to buy groceries or go out to dinner?
Have you ever wondered about the best time of day to ask someone out on a date--or for a raise?
Buy Ketchup in May and Fly at Noon tells you the best time--of the day, of the week, of the month or of the year--to do almost anything. Do you know:
- The best time of day to be operated on?
- The best month to buy an iPod?
- The best day of the week to avoid lines at the Louvre?
- The best day of the month to make an offer on a house?
Get more for your money, maximize your time, take better care of your health and be savvier about your career--all by doing certain things at the right time.
Remember: Timing is everything--Houston Chronicle
Clark Howard is a media powerhouse and penny-pincher extraordinaire who knows a thing or two about money. A lifelong entrepreneur who is now the hugely popular host of a talk radio program and television show and the bestselling author of several books, Clark consistently delivers expert financial advice to his wide and devoted fan base.
Living Large in Lean Times is Clark's ultimate guide to saving money, covering everything from cell phones to student loans, coupon websites to mortgages, investing to electric bills, and beyond. In his candid and friendly next-door-neighbor manner, Clark shares the small, manageable steps everyone can follow to build a path towards independence and wealth. Chock-full of more than 250 invaluable tips, the book outlines how to:
- Locate missing and unclaimed money in your name
- Lower your student loan payment
- Find legitimate work-at-home opportunities
- Get unlimited texting and e-mailing for less than $10 per month
- Know what personal info not to post to social media sites
- Determine the best mortgage rate, and much, much more
As Clark demonstrates, there are myriad ways to reduce debt, buy smarter, and build a future. Follow his lead and he'll get you there.
- When should I start my college research?
- How many schools should I apply to?
- Will applying Early Decision or Early Action give me a leg up?
- Which extracurricular activities do colleges want to see?
- How does the financial aid process work?
- What's more important: GPA or test scores?