Language lovers can cheer the arrival of this new edition, beautifully packaged in a larger format with a red cloth-over-board cover and containing more than 50 vivid, full-color drawings by acclaimed New Yorker cartoonist Byrnes.
The Elements of Style by William Strunk, Jr. is a prescriptive American English writing style guide comprising eight "elementary rules of usage", ten "elementary principles of composition", "a few matters of form", a list of forty-nine "words and expressions commonly misused", and a list of fifty-seven "words often misspelled". In 2011, Time magazine listed The Elements of Style as one of the 100 best and most influential books written in English since 1923.
Add weight to your Spanish verb choices without breaking your back(pack)
In one compact package, The Concise Red Pocket Book of Spanish Verbs provides 333 of the most important verbs in Spanish in full conjugated form. Each verb is illustrated by example sentences, showing the verb in action. The top 33 verbs are broken down into groups according to key meanings, use with prepositions, and key idiomatic expressions. In addition, the Verb Index links over 2,300 verbs to the verb conjugations.
Online you will find a companion website that provides you with extensive bonus content--more than 100 exercises that give you a dynamic way to build your mastery of the Spanish verb system.
- A diagnostic test
- Audio exercises to improve your listening comprehension
- Additional exercises that focus on your idiomatic usage of verbs
- Audio recordings of example sentences to show the Top 30 verbs is use
- Traditional verb conjugations combined with online exercises + audio
Topics include: Spanish Tense Profiles; 333 Fully Conjugated Verbs; English-Spanish Verb Index; Irregular Verb Form Index; Spanish Verb Index
The quickest, easiest way for Spanish speakers to master English verbs
Ideal for business, travel, or living in an English-speaking world, Manual completo de los verbos en ingles presents the English verb system in a single, compact volume for beginning- to intermediate-level language learners. Written in Spanish for native Spanish speakers, it provides numerous examples illustrating verbs in action, and notes containing important insights into the meanings and usages of different forms. This updated and expanded second edition includes practical exercises and an answer key, making it an ideal learning tool for ESL students.
The perfect way for Spanish speakers to master English verbs, Manual completo de los verbos en ingles
- Focuses on the most commonly used verbs in English
- Covers regular and irregular verbs, grouped according to their patterns
- Presents auxiliary verbs with complete examples of all their tenses
- Demonstrates how verbs are integrated into complete sentences
- Clearly explains the meaning and usage of different verb forms
Sharpen your ITALIAN grammar with skill-building exercises
If you want to be proficient in Italian, you have to master its grammar. The best way to perfect your grammar skills is through drills, drills, and more drills. Covering all facets of Italian grammar--from prepositions and pronouns to verbal forms and tenses--Italian Grammar Drills helps you learn often-perplexing topics through hands-on experience.
This comprehensive book features:
- More than 200 exercises that demonstrate how the Italian grammar system works
- Authentic examples that illustrate correct grammar usage
- A thorough review section, new to this edition
- An answer key to give you immediate clarification on any concept
Adjectives and adverbs * Comparatives and superlatives * Present tense versus past tense * Prepositions * Passive voice * Verbal expressions and constructions * and more
Based on the popular language "bibles," The Blue Pocket Book of French Verbs and The Red Pocket Book of Spanish Verbs are the most comprehensive, clearest, and easiest-to-use sources for beginning and intermediate learners. Now these books are even more convenient for school or home use thanks to their smaller trim size. But these pocket-sized guides are still mightier than all of the competition in this format.
These portable guides offer smooth sailing through the turbulent seas of a new grammar with:
- 333 fully conjugated verbs, listed alphabetically
- Current idioms and expressions for each verb
- Full facing page of usage examples for the top50 verbs
- One-stop, at-a-glance verb-tense profiles
- More than 2,200 verbs cross-referenced to models
- A handy guide to deciphering irregular verb forms
- English index to the model verbs
The Fifteenth Edition is available in book form and as a subscription Website. The same content from"The Chicago Manual of Style" is in both versions.
In the 1890s, a proofreader at the University of Chicago Press prepared a single sheet of typographic fundamentals intended as a guide for the University community. That sheet grew into a pamphlet, and the pamphlet grew into a book the first edition of the "Manual of Style," published in 1906. Now in its fifteenth edition, "The Chicago Manual of Style" the essential reference for authors, editors, proofreaders, indexers, copywriters, designers, and publishers in any field is more comprehensive and easier to use than ever before.
Those who work with words know how dramatically publishing has changed in the past decade, with technology now informing and influencing every stage of the writing and publishing process. In creating the fifteenth edition of the "Manual," Chicago's renowned editorial staff drew on direct experience of these changes, as well as on the recommendations of the "Manual"'s first advisory board, composed of a distinguished group of scholars, authors, and professionals from a wide range of publishing and business environments.
Every aspect of coverage has been examined and brought up to date from publishing formats to editorial style and method, from documentation of electronic sources to book design and production, and everything in between. In addition to books, the "Manual" now also treats journals and electronic publications. All chapters are written for the electronic age, with advice on how to prepare and edit manuscripts online, handle copyright and permissions issues raised by technology, use new methods of preparing mathematical copy, and cite electronic and online sources.
A new chapter covers American English grammar and usage, outlining the grammatical structure of English, showing how to put words and phrases together to achieve clarity, and identifying common errors. The two chapters on documentation have been reorganized and updated: the first now describes the two main systems preferred by Chicago, and the second discusses specific elements and subject matter, with examples of both systems. Coverage of design and manufacturing has been streamlined to reflect what writers and editors need to know about current procedures. And, to make it easier to search for information, each numbered paragraph throughout the "Manual" is now introduced by a descriptive heading.
Clear, concise, and replete with commonsense advice, "The Chicago Manual of Style," fifteenth edition, offers the wisdom of a hundred years of editorial practice while including a wealth of new topics and updated perspectives. For anyone who works with words, whether on a page or computer screen, this continues to be the one reference book you simply must have.
What's new in the Fifteenth Edition:
* Updated material throughout to reflect current style, technology, and professional practice
* Scope expanded to include journals and electronic publications
* Comprehensive new chapter on American English grammar and usage by Bryan A. Garner (author of "A Dictionary of Modern American Usage")
* Updated and rewritten chapter on preparing mathematical copy
* Reorganized and updated chapters on documentation, including guidance on citing electronic sources
* Streamlined coverage of current design and production processes, with a glossary of key terms
* Descriptive headings on all numbered paragraphs for ease of reference
* New diagrams of the editing and production processes for both books and journals, keyed to chapter discussions
* New, expanded Web site with special tools and features for "Manual" users at www.chicagomanualofstyle.org."
You know the authors' names. You recognize the title. You've probably used this book yourself. This is The Elements of Style, the classic style manual, now in a fourth edition. The revisions to the new edition are purposely kept minimal in order to retain the book's unique tone, wit, and charm. A new Glossary of the grammatical terms used in the book provides a convenient reference for readers. The discussion of pronoun use is revised to reflect the contemporary concern with sexist language. In addition, there are numerous slight revisions in the book itself which implement this advice. A new Foreword by Roger Angell reminds readers that the advice of Strunk & White is as valuable today as when it was first offered.This book has conveyed the principles of English style to millions of readers. Use the fourth edition of "the little book" to make a big impact with writing.
Based on the successful approach of the Practice Makes Perfect series, Italian Pronouns and Prepositions offers a clear and engaging presentation of all aspects of pronoun and preposition usage, combined with extensive practice, for beginning and intermediate language learners. This new edition features a new review chapter that allows learners to pull together the grammar skills they've acquired.
About the Book
This new edition in the successful Practice Makes Perfect series, Practice Makes Perfect: Italian Pronouns and Prepositions offers a detailed examination of these two essential aspects of grammar, which language learners need to master to communicate with confidence. Learners of a foreign language often have difficulty with these areas because the usage of pronouns or prepositions rarely translates directly from English to the new language. Thus, language learners need much more practice in the areas of pronoun and preposition usage than is provided in general grammar books.
This book provides clear explanations of the usage of pronouns and prepositions, followed by practical examples illustrating and clarifying each point. Extensive and varied exercises provide ample opportunity to practice. Answers to all questions are provided at the back of the book, providing immediate feedback.
The new edition features a brand-new review chapter that allows learners to pull together the grammar skills they've acquired throughout the book.
Key Selling Features
- New edition features a brand-new review chapter
- Details all aspects of pronoun and preposition usage
- Clarifies the subtleties of pronouns and prepositions that often escape language learners
- Highly varied and extensive exercises for practice
- Practical and high-frequency vocabulary used throughout
- Answer key provided for reference and quick feedback
- Combines the best elements of instruction and practice so readers find all they need in one book.
"Kitty Burns Florey seems to write from a great wellspring of inner calm that derives from a gleeful appreciation of life's smallest details."
--Richard Russo, Pulitzer Prize-winning author of Empire Falls