Iman, world-famous model and founder of a successful cosmetics brand, is aware of the difficulties women of colour have always had with skin care and make-up. In this book, she teaches readers how to work with skincare regimens and palettes targeted to their exact skin tone and type.
From Nina Garcia--fashion judge on Bravo's hit Project Runway and author of Style Strategy and The One Hundred--comes her wildly popular New York Times bestseller The Little Black Book of Style. Here, in one indispensible volume, are Nina's ultimate rules of style to help you uncover your own signature look.
From classic braids to nifty knots, ponytail veil to ballet bun, Hair has more than 40 great styles for girls to try. Easy-to-follow instructions, stylist secrets, and great grooming tips will make haircare a breeze.
"This vivid account pops with fascinating detail and reads like fiction. Wonderfully, it isn't."--Elle
She understood women. She understood beauty. And she started a revolution.
Helena Rubinstein was born into a poor Polish family at the end of the nineteenth century; by the time of her death in 1965 she had built a cosmetics empire that spanned the world.
Her scientific approach to beauty was an instant sensation. Women couldn't get enough of her innovative advice on skincare, and her beauty products were constantly sold out.
This is her amazing life story.
Mich le Fitoussi is a journalist and author.
A provocative and thoroughly researched inquiry into what we find beautiful and why, skewering the myth that the pursuit of beauty is a learned behavior.In Survival of the Prettiest, Nancy Etcoff, a faculty member at Harvard Medical School and a practicing psychologist at Massachusetts General Hospital, argues that beauty is neither a cultural construction, an invention of the fashion industry, nor a backlash against feminism--it's in our biology. Beauty, she explains, is an essential and ineradicable part of human nature that is revered and ferociously pursued in nearly every civilization--and for good reason. Those features to which we are most attracted are often signals of fertility and fecundity. When seen in the context of a Darwinian struggle for survival, our sometimes extreme attempts to attain beauty--both to become beautiful ourselves and to acquire an attractive partner--suddenly become much more understandable. Moreover, if we understand how the desire for beauty is innate, then we can begin to work in our own interests, and not just the interests of our genetic tendencies.
This professional author team provides a comprehensive guide for the woman who wants to make the most of what she has. Beginning with an overview of the latest beauty trends, Vogue Beauty features detailed text, how-to instructions and hundreds of color photographs.
Six informative sections cover:
Special sections focus on wrinkles, "cosmeceuticals," lunchtime laser treatments, famous models' secrets, using essential oils and more. Packed with insider knowledge, professional advice and hundreds of photos, women of all ages will find Vogue Beauty useful and entertaining.
Use the principles of feng shui to promote both inner and outer beauty.- Includes daily exercises to deepen self-awareness, alter destructive behavior patterns, and create an effective spiritual practice. - An excellent way to treat skin-care problems such as wrinkles, acne, and dryness without resorting to medications. - By the author of Body Feng Shui. Many people are now familiar with the use of feng shui to design living spaces that harmonize with the landscape and that enhance the positive aspects of one's life. Few people know, however, that these same feng shui principles can be applied to the human body to chart the relationship between inner character and outer appearance. Focusing on the special needs of women, Beauty Feng Shui explains the spiritual and physical meaning of each part of the body according to min xiang shue--body feng shui--and provides exercises and meditations to restore harmony to those areas compromised by energy imbalances. A wide spectrum of specific beauty and health concerns is addressed, including acne, menstrual cramps, wrinkles, and overly dry or oily skin. But beauty is not only skin deep. Chao-Hsiu Chen also discusses inner beauty and how to strengthen it through meditation, visualization, and imagination. She includes daily exercises that allow the reader to deepen self-awareness, alter destructive behavior patterns, and create an effective spiritual practice. More than one hundred illustrations show these exercises and special Chinese characters for use in meditation and visualization.
The leading magazine by and for Latinas presents the first total beauty guide exclusively for the rapidly expanding market of Hispanic women.
Latina beauty is everywhere...Salma Hayek tamed Will Smith in Wild, Wild West... Christina Aguilera is storming the music charts...Jennifer Lopez is heating up the silver screen...In fact, the growth of the Latin market is nothing short of remarkable: from the salsa craze to Ricky Martin to the Taco Bell chihuahua, there's no question that the Latin moment has arrived Today, Latina women are some of the most savvy, affluent, appearance-conscious consumers out there. Now there's a beauty book designed just for this dynamic audience of 11 million.
Compiled by the editors of Latina magazine, Latina Beauty fills a long-empty niche in the beauty book category. Featuring insider tips from the hottest stars, models, and beauty experts, it redefines total beauty from the unique perspective of the Hispanic woman. From the styling gel in their hair to the polish on their toes, Latinas take pride in their appearance--they love talking about it, learning about it, and experimenting with it every day. Gorgeously produced in full color, and packed with information, inspiration, and celebrity insight, Latina Beauty is the only guide they'll need, and the first guide to celebrate what makes Hispanic women so distinct, so powerful, and so beautiful.
- The first book in English on the ancient Chinese tradition of reading personality traits in physical appearance.- Includes over 100 illustrations that explain the meanings of physical characteristics. - Explains how individuals can influence their destiny and use negatively perceived physical aspects as tools for healthy relationships and positive self-transformation. Min Xiang Shue--also known as body feng shui--is an ancient Taoist tradition that uses the techniques from the more familiar art of placement (feng shui) to reveal the connection between inner character and external appearance. According to this ancient art, it is possible to recognize the personality of an individual from his or her facial features, hand shape, movements, and posture. Generously illustrated with more than 100 drawings that explain the meaning of distinctive physical characteristics, Body Feng Shui teaches you how to explore your own and others' destinies by reading the truths of the soul as they appear on the human body. Introduced for the first time in the Western world, the art of body feng shui can show how a negative or positive physical aspect can be partially responsible for happiness or misfortune, health or illness, wealth or poverty. Moreover, though we are given certain attributes at birth, these are not unchangeable. Body Feng Shui provides valuable lessons for redesigning our fate based on the observations of our physical appearance and offers many examples of positive changes you can make to transform an inauspicious physical feature into a blessing--none of which require plastic surgery.
'I've always been a girls' girl. And I know from experience that making the very best of yourself is something any woman can do. I was never the six-foot-tall pin-up. I've always been the girl-next-door who got lucky. I've come a long way in the last ten years, but this book isn't my attempt to tell you what or what not to do. It's just to share some of what I've learned.'
In That Extra Half an Inch, a tongue-in-cheek reference to her love of high heels, Beckham shares her tips for finding your own style including:
- Learning how to dress for special occasions
- Shopping for everyday wear and where to look for it
- Accessories: defining the looks that work best for you
- Helpful hints for the holidays
- Making the most of your wardrobe
- How to feel confident and look great every time you leave the house
That Extra Half an Inch is a beautiful, nothing-but-the truth, easy-to-use book on fashion, beauty and style. Victoria shares her personal style secrets so whether you're getting ready for work, a night out on the town or even doing the school run, you too can feel confident and look great every time you step out of the front door.