Written in a scholarly but accessible style, this book provides an integrated critical analysis of lesbian and bisexual women's health. The book highlights trends and themes, with selected examples of research and personal experience of lesbians and bisexual women and their health care providers.
- the spiritual and scientific principles behind healing from terminal illnesses, and how you can utilize these principles for your own health and the health of others
- vital information about how to truly dissolve PMS and ease menstrual cramps
- extraordinary facts on Vitamin D--and why it is crucial for breast, cardiovascular, and immune system health
- the importance of the preconception diet and how to greatly decrease your risk of birth defects
- how to birth naturally, despite the current induction and C-section epidemic
- all you need to know about thyroid function, including proper blood tests
- life-saving facts about cellular inflammation--the root cause of all chronic degenerative diseases--and how to prevent this condition
- the essentials on the "fountain of youth molecule"--and how to enhance your levels of it for vibrant health Living a healthy life in a woman's body can be downright fun--even ecstatic And that's good news for everyone--women, men, and their children.
Time is every woman's most precious commodity--and a lack of it is the number one reason, in survey after survey, that women give for why they don't exercise. But research now shows that as little as 15 minutes of resistance training is just as effective in spiking one's metabolism as a workout lasting more than twice as long. All it takes is 15 minutes to achieve lifelong results--and women are more likely to stick to an exercise plan if it's chopped down to those 15 minutes.The Women's Health Big Book of 15-Minute Workouts is both an introduction to the fundamentals of short workouts and a comprehensive collection of hundreds of the most effective ones. These workouts have been designed for every fitness goal, from total body conditioning to targeting trouble spots with exercises like the 15 Minute Flat-Belly-without-a-Single-Crunch Workout. Other highlights include: - an eating plan with delicious meals that take 15 minutes or less to prepare
- workouts for when you're stuck in traffic or traveling and can't make it to the gym
- hundreds of tips from America's best trainers, nutritionists, and exercise scientists
With almost 100,000 copies sold in earlier editions, this revised edition provides the most up-to-date information on natural alternatives to synthetic hormone replacement therapyA must-read for any woman taking synthetic hormones for infertility, birthcontrol, PMS, or menopause - Includes the latest research on using natural progesterone to combat osteoporosis, endometriosis, heart disease, PMS, fibroids, and breast, ovarian, and uterine cancer More and more women are seeking alternatives to synthetic hormones and their harmful side effects. Despite increasing awareness of the dangers of synthetic hormones, over-prescription of estrogen is still rampant, as is confusion among doctors and patients whether the benefits of conventional hormone replacement therapy (HRT) outweigh the risks. This updated fourth edition offers the latest information on how botanical progesterone therapy, also known as natural HRT, can provide safe, natural relief for many of the problems women face from hormone deficiency, including PMS, fibromyalgia, depression, menstrual irregularity, miscarriages, uterine fibroids, and infertility. Botanical progesterone supplementation can be also extremely effective in relieving hot flashes, insomnia, night sweats, vaginal dryness, and even cancer. The authors sift through misinformation and contradictory studies, warning against corporate-sponsored research in a multi-billion dollar menopausal industry, and guide readers to natural alternatives. This fourth edition also includes new studies regarding the dangers of a diet rich in soy contributing to the onset of premature menopause, as well as thyroid disorders. The dangers of mammography and the importance of focusing on safer, more effective methods of cancer detection are also well documented.
Does it feel as if you're fighting your body to lose even one pound--or just to maintain your current weight? Respected health and wellness expert and bestselling author Jillian Michaels has been there, too. So she consulted top experts in the field of metabolism and discovered that she'd inadvertently been abusing her endocrine system for years. After "fixing" her own metabolism, she decided to share what she learned by devising this simple, 3-phase plan that engages all the weight-loss hormones (including the friendly HGH, testosterone, DHEA; and the not-so-friendly: insulin, cortisol, and excess estrogen).In Master Your Metabolism, discover how to:
-REMOVE "anti-nutrients" from your diet
-RESTORE foods that speak directly to fat-burning genes
-REBALANCE energy and your hormones for effortless weight loss Michaels offers a wealth of information throughout, including: shopping lists and online shopping resources, hormone-trigger food charts, how to eat "power nutrient" foods on a budget, smart strategies for eating out, quick and easy recipes, as well as mini-programs for addressing PMS, andropause, metabolic syndrome, PCOS, and menopause.
More than a book, Run Like a Mother is essentially a down-to-earth, encouraging conversation with the reader on all things running, with the overall goal of strengthening a woman's inner athlete. Of course, real achievement is a healthy mix of inspiration and perspiration, which is why the authors have grounded Run Like a Mother in a host of practical tips on shoes, training, racing, nutrition, and injuries, all designed to help women balance running with their professional and personal lives.
The best-selling author of Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom offers an unconventional, updated mind-body approach to women's health after menopause that discusses the impact of hormonal changes, the myths and realities of menopause, and ways to prevent long-term health problems, including heart disease, memory loss, and cancer.
Though we talk about wanting to age gracefully, the truth is that when it comes to getting older, we're programmed to dread an inevitable decline: in our health, our looks, our sexual relationships, even the pleasure we take in living life. But as Christiane Northrup, M.D., shows us in this profoundly empowering book, we have it in us to make growing older an entirely different experience, both for our bodies and for our souls. In chapters that blend personal stories and practical exercises with the latest research on health and aging, Dr. Northrup lays out the principles of ageless living, from rejecting processed foods to releasing stuck emotions, from embracing our sensuality to connecting deeply with our Divine Source. Explaining that the state of our health is dictated far more by our beliefs than by our biology, she works to shift our perceptions about getting older and show us what we are entitled to expect from our later years--no matter what our culture tries to teach us to the contrary--including: - Vibrant good health
- A fulfilling sex life
- The capacity to love without losing ourselves
- The ability to move our bodies with ease and pleasure
- Clarity and authenticity in all our relationships--especially the one we have with ourselves Taking all the right supplements and pills, or getting the right procedure done, isn't the prescription for anti-aging, Dr. Northrup explains. Agelessness is all about vitality, the creative force that gives birth to new life. Goddesses Never Age is filled with tools and inspiration for bringing vitality and vibrancy into your own ageless years--and it all comes together in Dr. Northrup's 14-day Ageless Goddess Program, your personal prescription for creating a healthful, soulful, joyful new way of being at any stage of life.