Doctors recommend it and pregnant couples rely on it--and you and your partner will find it indispensable For over thirty years, Dr. Glade B. Curtis and Judith Schuler have helped millions of parents-to-be navigate and prepare for the most exciting and challenging time of their lives--and now they'll help you.
With Your Pregnancy's signature week-by-week format, including illustrations of your baby, you'll easily and comfortably follow your baby's development as it grows during these exciting 40 weeks. Whether you're a first-time parent just learning to navigate pregnancy or an experienced pro, Your Pregnancy Week by Week is the perfect, comprehensive resource to guide you through your pregnancy. In this eighth edition, Dr. Curtis and Schuler address today's most pressing questions and concerns, including:
- Detailed descriptions and illustrations of baby's development
- Information on medical tests and procedures
- Tips on nutrition, your overall health and how it affects your growing baby
- Safe and easy weekly exercises to help you stay in shape
The trusted editors of Our Bodies, Ourselves, called "a feminist classic" by The New York Times, present a comprehensive guide to pregnancy and childbirth, from prenatal care and emotional well-being to how to handle the pain of childbirth.Pregnancy and birth are as ordinary and extraordinary as breathing, thinking, or loving. But as soon as you announce you're expecting, you may be bombarded with advice from every angle--well-meaning friends, relatives, medical professionals, even strangers want to weigh in on what you should or shouldn't do, and it's easy to feel overwhelmed by their conflicting recommendations. Our Bodies, Ourselves: Pregnancy and Birth will help you sort fact from fiction, giving you the most accurate research, up-to-date information, and the firsthand experiences of numerous women who have been exactly where you are today. You'll get the tools you need to take care of yourself and your baby during and after your pregnancy, from tips on eating well during pregnancy to strategies for coping with stress and depression. Learn everything you need to know about: - Choosing a good health care provider
- Selecting a place of birth
- Understanding prenatal testing
- Coping with labor pain
- Speeding your physical recovery
- Adjusting to life as a new mother Our Bodies, Ourselves: Pregnancy and Birth is an essential resource for women that will guide you through the many decisions ahead.
As women quickly discover, their life when treatment ends is very different from what it was before their diagnosis. Often exhausted, anxious, and emotionally volatile, they are beset by physical discomforts, fearful of intimacy, afraid for their children, worried about recurrence. Anticipating a return to "normalcy," they discover that the old version of normal no longer applies.There could be no more knowledgeable guide for women embarking on this complicated journey than Hester Hill Schnipper, who is herself both an experienced oncology social worker and a breast cancer survivor. This comprehensive handbook provides jargon-free information on the wide range of practical issues women face as they navigate the journey back to health, including: -Managing physical problems such as fatigue, hot flashes, and aches and pains -Handling relationships: your children, your partner, your parents, your friends. -How to regain emotional and sexual intimacy -Coping with financial and workplace issues -Genetic testing: why, whether, when -How to move beyond the fear of recurrence -And much more This indispensable book will help you rediscover your capacity for joy as you move forward into the future--as a survivor.
- Ten things to do before you dye
- You are what you eat--and so are your curls
- Getting kids to love their curls
- Curly guys
- Lorraine's 12-step recovery program
- And check out Lorraine's video tutorials on YouTube.
This new Mayo Clinic book on pregnancy provides you with practical information and reassurance on pregnancy and childbirth. Compiled by Mayo Clinic experts in obstetrics, it offers a clear, thorough and reliable reference for this exciting and sometimes unpredictable journey. This comprehensivebook includes: A month-by-month look at mom and babyIn-depth "Decision Guides" to help you make informed decisions on topics such as how to select a health care provider, prenatal testing options, pain relief for childbirth, and many othersAn easy-to-use reference guide that covers topics such as morning sickness, heartburn, back pain, headaches and yeast infections, among othersInformation on pregnancy health concerns, including preterm labor, gestational diabetes and preeclampsia, along with an overview on being pregnant when you have pre-existing health conditions such as asthma, diabetes or hyperthyroidism
Since Dr. Brizendine wrote The Female Brain ten years ago, the response has been overwhelming. This New York Times bestseller has been translated into more than thirty languages, has sold nearly a million copies between editions, and has most recently inspired a romantic comedy starring Whitney Cummings and Sofia Vergara. And its profound scientific understanding of the nature and experience of the female brain continues to guide women as they pass through life stages, to help men better understand the girls and women in their lives, and to illuminate the delicate emotional machinery of a love relationship.Why are women more verbal than men? Why do women remember details of fights that men can't remember at all? Why do women tend to form deeper bonds with their female friends than men do with their male counterparts? These and other questions have stumped both sexes throughout the ages. Now, pioneering neuropsychiatrist Louann Brizendine, M.D., brings together the latest findings to show how the unique structure of the female brain determines how women think, what they value, how they communicate, and who they love. While doing research as a medical student at Yale and then as a resident and faculty member at Harvard, Louann Brizendine discovered that almost all of the clinical data in existence on neurology, psychology, and neurobiology focused exclusively on males. In response to the overwhelming need for information on the female mind, Brizendine established the first clinic in the country to study and treat women's brain function. In The Female Brain, Dr. Brizendine distills all her findings and the latest information from the scientific community in a highly accessible book that educates women about their unique brain/body/behavior. The result: women will come away from this book knowing that they have a lean, mean, communicating machine. Men will develop a serious case of brain envy.
- A guide to safe and inexpensive natural alternatives to often hazardous and extremely expensive conventional medical treatments for infertility.- Provides guidelines for using alternative therapies, diet, exercise, and relaxation techniques. - Explores acupuncture, reflexology, homeopathy, cranial osteopathy, aromatherapy, and herbalism. - Includes the personal stories of couples who have successfully conceived using these methods. Enhancing Fertility Naturally outlines ways in which you can improve your fertility through alternative therapies, diet, exercise, and relaxation techniques and avoid some of the hazards associated with conventional treatments. It discusses the most common causes of infertility and explains how to determine which therapy is most appropriate for you. In vitro fertilization, conventional medicine's most prescribed remedy for infertility problems, is expensive, dangerous, and has a success rate of only 14 percent, yet few of the one in six couples that experience infertility are aware of the effectiveness and safety provided by the wide range of alternative treatments. Thoroughly researched and packed full of invaluable advice and tips, the book explores such therapies as acupuncture, reflexology, homeopathy, cranial osteopathy, aromatherapy, and herbalism. The author includes case histories for each of the therapies discussed, showing how the therapies helped couples overcome both primary and secondary infertility in order to have the baby they longed for.
- the spiritual and scientific principles behind healing from terminal illnesses, and how you can utilize these principles for your own health and the health of others
- vital information about how to truly dissolve PMS and ease menstrual cramps
- extraordinary facts on Vitamin D--and why it is crucial for breast, cardiovascular, and immune system health
- the importance of the preconception diet and how to greatly decrease your risk of birth defects
- how to birth naturally, despite the current induction and C-section epidemic
- all you need to know about thyroid function, including proper blood tests
- life-saving facts about cellular inflammation--the root cause of all chronic degenerative diseases--and how to prevent this condition
- the essentials on the "fountain of youth molecule"--and how to enhance your levels of it for vibrant health Living a healthy life in a woman's body can be downright fun--even ecstatic And that's good news for everyone--women, men, and their children.
Education, answers, support and relief for the condition that every woman must face. This is a sensitive and practical guide to help middle aged women demystify the menopause - symptoms, remedies, side-effects and emotional impact.