Your Own Pocket Essay Tutor
Ever wish you had a private tutor to help you write your admissions essays? With this book, you do. Ashley Wellington, founder of the elite New York college prep agency Mint Tutors, has personalized her hard-hitting advice just for you. Her unique "boot camp" process starts by helping you identify your student type, then figure out which topics will highlight your best (or worst) attributes to admissions officers. Thinking about writing an essay on . . . - Sports? This popular topic is often limiting, but Wellington will help you come across as talented--and also thoughtful and well rounded. - Your trip to Egypt? Wellington will help you avoid common travel clich s that make admissions officers groan.
- The color yellow? Wellington will make sure you sound quirky and creative in the right way. Even the most impressive students can sound ordinary by following the formulaic approach of other essay guides--and in this ber-competitive landscape, you need an edge to stand out to top schools. Wellington's tutees have gained acceptance to Harvard, Yale, Princeton, MIT, Georgetown, Duke, and other elite institutions, and with this book at your side, you can join their ranks.
Professional mariners, military and civilian, will find this book to be an invaluable reference in understanding the rules of the road and the role these rules play in managing the risk of collision. The author provides a thorough commentary on the rules and an analysis of collision cases involving abuse of the rules. Maritime attorneys and judges will find the book continues to be an indispensable reference on collision law as Craig Allen provides a mariner's insight into how the rules apply in context and their application by the courts and administrative tribunals. This new edition completely revises chapters on the rules pertaining to good seamanship and special circumstances and on restricted visibility, and it vastly expands coverage of the narrow channel rule, traffic separation schemes, and the application of the rules to high-speed craft. It also extensively revises materials on the look out and risk of collision responsibilities to update coverage on radar and ARPA and to address new technologies, such as integrated bridge systems, automatic identification systems, voyage data recorders and the increasingly active role of VTS. The first update in ten years, the eighth edition upholds and even surpasses the standards set over the past sixty years of the guide's publication.
The truths and myths about getting into the top schools from a private college counselor who has placed 75 percent of her clients in the Ivy League, as well as the most competitive colleges in the country.
Now, for the first time, Dr. Katherine Cohen offers her successful program in a book complete with worksheets, timelines, and checklists that help students demystify the college admissions process and get into the school of their choice. Divided into chapters that cover everything from what courses to take in high school to how to ace that all-important interview, this book will become the college admissions bible for both students and parents alike.
What does an admissions officer look for in a college application essay?
You. It's that simple. There's no formula, no trick, no strategy, says Harry Bauld, a former Ivy League admissions officer. But with acceptance rates at all-time lows, just being yourself in an essay means understanding your readers and the unique form in which you are writing. In this fully revised and updated edition of the classic guide to writing the best essay of your life, Bauld reveals the big cliches (The Trip, The Jock, Miss America, Pet Death) and helps you discover ways to come alive on the page as a real person instead of applicant number 13,791.
Volume II opens with major world events between 1500 and 1789, and considers the development of shipbuilding that sent European explorers around the world.Following topics include the Ottoman Empire, Mughal India, Manchu China, Spanish conquests in the Americas, European world colonialism, the French Revolution, Napoleonic Europe, British imperial expansion, the revolutions in the Americas, the United States and Canada as world powers, World War I and II, postwar Europe, the end of European colonialism, the Cold War, modern China, and events affecting Pacific nations.
The ideal review for your Japanese course
More than 40 million students have trusted Schaum's Outlines for their expert knowledge and helpful solved problems. Written by renowned experts in their respective fields, Schaum's Outlines cover everything from math to science, nursing to language. The main feature for all these books is the solved problems. Step-by-step, authors walk readers through coming up with solutions to exercises in their topic of choice.
- 788 practice exercises
- Examples and exercises in both Japanese characters and English transliteration
- Appropriate for the following courses: First-Year Japanese, Elementary Japanese, Japanese A & B, Independent Studies in Japanese
- Supports all the major textbooks for Japanese courses
THE PRINCETON REVIEW GETS RESULTS. Get all the prep you need to ace the SAT with 8 full-length practice tests, thorough SAT topic reviews, a DVD with expert tutorials, a bonus "SAT Insider" guide to college, and extra practice online.
"Inside the Book: All the Practice & Strategies You Need"
- 4 full-length practice tests with detailed answer explanations
- DVD with tutorials & advice from leading course instructors
- Expert subject reviews for all test topics
- Drills for each test section--Math, Critical Reading, and Writing
- Proven techniques for raising your score
- Practical information about what to expect on the SAT
- Quick guide to understanding college costs and loans
- Special college prep section packed with helpful info on planning college visits, selecting great schools, and writing essays that stand out
"Exclusive Access to More Practice and Resources Online"
- 4 additional full-length practice exams
- Extra math and verbal drills to hone your technique
- Step-by-step problem-solving guides for the toughest question types
- Video tutorials showing you our strategies in action
- Scoring help for book and online tests, plus optional LiveGrader(TM) essay scoring
- Study plans, college profiles, and resources for finding the perfect college
Understand the rules that make the universe run.
Understanding the laws of physics is essential for all scientific studies, but many students are intimidated by their complexities. This completely revised and updated book makes it easy to understand the most important principles. From the physics of the everyday world to the theory of relativity, PHYSICS MADE SIMPLE covers it all. Each chapter is introduced by anecdotes that directly apply the concepts to contemporary life and ends with practice problems--with complete solutions--to reinforce the concepts. Humorous illustrations and stories complete the text, making it not only easy but fun to learn this important science. Topics covered include:
*electricity and magnetism
Look for these Made Simple titles Accounting Made Simple
Arithmetic Made Simple
Astronomy Made Simple
Biology Made Simple
Bookkeeping Made Simple
Business Letters Made Simple
Chemistry Made Simple
English Made Simple
Earth Science Made Simple
French Made Simple
German Made Simple
Ingles Hecho Facil
Investing Made Simple
Italian Made Simple
Keyboarding Made Simple
Latin Made Simple
Learning English Made Simple
Mathematics Made Simple
The Perfect Business Plan Made Simple
Philosophy Made Simple
Psychology Made Simple
Sign Language Made Simple
Spelling Made Simple
Statistics Made Simple
Your Small Business Made Simple
A supplement to the Official Guide with 300 additional verbal questions
The GMAT Official Guide 2019 Verbal Review provides additional practical preparation focused on the verbal portion of the exam. Written by the Graduate Management Admission Council, this guide contains 300 real GMAT questions from past exams, including 45 never-before-seen questions, plus the following features:
- An overview of the exam to help you get familiar with the content and format
- Comprehensive grammar review
- Detailed answer explanations that explain how the test maker thinks about a question
- Questions organized in order of difficulty from easiest to hardest to focus your study
- Access to the same questions online at gmat.wiley.com, where you can build your own practice sets
Don't waste time practicing on fake GMAT questions. Optimize your study time with the GMAT Official Guide 2019 Verbal Review using real questions from actual past exams.
Are you a beginner learning English as a second language?
Everything you need is included in English for Everyone: Level 2: Beginner, Course Book--it's a grammar book, vocabulary builder, and exercise course all in one. Learn to engage in everyday topics such as clothing, the weather, making plans, and more. English for Everyone: Level 2: Beginner, Course Book also covers how to talk about the past, present, and future and is the perfect choice for people with some basic knowledge of English to expand their skills over a wider range of everyday words and situations.
English for Everyone: Level 2: Beginner, Course Book covers the language skills, vocabulary, and grammar needed for the major global English-language exams, including TOEFL. All learning is practiced across speaking, listening, reading, and writing exercises, offering rounded preparation for work, travel, study, and exams. Download the free app and practice online with free listening exercises at www.dkefe.com.
Series Overview: English for Everyone series teaches all levels of English, from beginner to advanced, to speakers of English as a second language. Innovative visual learning methods introduce key language skills, grammar, and vocabulary, which are reinforced with a variety of speaking, reading, and writing exercises to make the English language easier to understand and learn. Visit www.dkefe.com to find out more.