A busy and hectic life can profoundly affect your ability to get a good night's rest. And it's even more difficult to feel relaxed when you stay awake worrying that you won't fall asleep. This vicious circle can quickly rob you of your quality of life, which is why it is so important to seek the most effective treatment for your insomnia.
This workbook uses cognitive behavior therapy, which has been shown to work as well as sleep medications and produce longer-lasting effects. Research shows that it also works well for those whose insomnia is experienced in the context of anxiety, depression, and chronic pain. The complete program in Quiet Your Mind and Get to Sleep goes to the root of your insomnia and offers the same techniques used by experienced sleep specialists.
You'll learn how to optimize your sleep pattern using methods to calm your mind and help you identify sleep-thieving behaviors that contribute to insomnia. Don't go without rest any longer-get started on this program and end your struggles with sleep.
In this landmark book, Dr. Teri James Bellis, one of the world's leading authorities on auditory processing disorder (APD), explains the nature of this devastating condition and provides insightful case studies that illustrate its effect on the lives of its sufferers.Millions of Americans struggle silently with APD. For many of them, holding a simple conversation can be next to impossible. As sound travels through an imperfect auditory pathway, words become jumbled, distorted, and unintelligible. As Dr. Bellis notes, the most profound impact of this highly specific impediment to auditory comprehension may be on the young. Facing a severely reduced ability to read, spell, comprehend, and communicate, children with APD are subject to anxiety, academic failure, and a damaged sense of self. Often, they are misdiagnosed. Discussing the latest and most promising clinical advances and treatment options, and providing a host of proven strategies for coping, Dr. Bellis takes much of the mystery out of APD. If you or anyone you know has difficulty comprehending spoken language, or if your child is struggling in school, this important book may have the answers you need.
- A detailed description of Parkinson's disease
- How you can help find the cure
- Public Services Announcements that are aired on network and cable television stations across the country to increase awareness
- Upcoming related Parkinson's disease events and meetings
- Updates on recent research and developments
"Memorable...Dr. Weil makes his case carefully and clearly."
--The New York Times Book Review
--Joan Borysenko, author of Minding the Body, Mending the Mind Drawing on fascinating case histories from his own practice as well as medical techniques he has observed in his travels around the world, Dr. Weil shows how the mechanisms of self-diagnosis and self-regeneration have worked to resolve life-threatening diseases, severe trauma, and chronic pain. But spontaneous healing is also the essential element in the maintenance of our basic daily health. The book outlines an eight-week program that each of us can use to alter our diet, avoid environmental toxins, and reduce stress in order to enhance our innate healing powers. The best medicine does not merely combat germs or suppress symptoms, but rather works hand in hand with the body's natural defenses to manage illness. Building on this fundamental truth and tapping into the intricate interaction of mind and body, Dr. Weil arrives at a major new synthesis of conventional and alternative medical treatments. At once practical and inspirational, Spontaneous Healing gives each one of us the power and the wisdom to draw on the sources of health we hold within.
- Proves that the majority of cases of stroke, heart attack, and hypertension can easily be prevented by maintaining the proper ratio of potassium to sodium in the diet.- Updated with scientific evidence from a recent Finnish study showing a 60 percent decline in deaths attributed to strokes and heart attacks. - Provides a comprehensive program for balancing body chemistry at the cellular level. High blood pressure is entirely preventable, without reliance on synthetic drugs. Dr. Moore's approach is simple: by maintaining the proper ratio of potassium to sodium in the diet, blood pressure can be regulated at the cellular level, preventing the development of hypertension and the high incidence of strokes and heart attacks associated with it. Dr. Moore updates this edition with a new preface reporting on the latest scientific research in support of his program. The most striking results come from Finland, where for several decades sodium chloride has been replaced nationwide with a commercial sodium/potassium mixture, resulting in a 60 percent decline nationwide in deaths attributed to strokes and heart attacks. Extrapolated to America, the Finnish statistics would mean 360,000 strokes prevented and 96,000 lives saved every year. Dr. Moore makes it clear that high blood pressure is only one symptom of an entire systemic imbalance. He outlines a safe, effective program that focuses on nutrition, weight loss, and exercise to bring the entire body chemistry into balance. For those currently taking blood pressure medications, he includes a chapter on working with your physician to ensure that any reduction in hypertension drugs can be effected gradually and safely.
La presi n alta, la "asesina silenciosa" y la amenaza n mero uno para la salud en Estados Unidos, puede evitarse. Esta conclusi n se basa en el informe m s actualizado del Programa Nacional Educativo para la Presi n Alta, de Estados Unidos, y confirma el tratamiento indicado en el libro del doctor Moore. Si se lleva una dieta con la proporci n adecuada de potasio y calcio (el llamado factor K), se regula la presi n en el nivel celular, evitando la hipertensi n. El autor explica exactamente c mo lograrlo con un programa de nutrici n seguro, controlando el peso y haciendo ejercicio. Si usted ya padece de hipertensi n, este programa puede disminuir notablemente sus efectos o incluso erradicarlos sin los tratamientos tradicionales de f rmacos y dieta blanda. Este libro contiene tambi n un cap tulo en el cual se explica c mo colaborar con el m dico para que la reducci n de los medicamentos contra la hipertensi n se lleve a cabo de manera gradual y segura.
Based on the breakthrough understanding that virtually all headaches are forms of migraine--because migraine is not a specific type of headache, but the built-in mechanism that causes headaches of all kinds, along with neck stiffness, sinus congestion, dizziness, and other problems--Dr. Buchholz's "Heal Your Headache" puts headache sufferers back in control of their lives with a simple, transforming program:
A breakthrough approach for a good night's sleep--with no tears
There are two schools of thought for encouraging babies to sleep through the night: the hotly debated Ferber technique of letting the baby "cry it out," or the grin-and-bear-it solution of getting up from dusk to dawn as often as necessary. If you don't believe in letting your baby cry it out, but desperately want to sleep, there is now a third option, presented in Elizabeth Pantley's sanity-saving book The No-Cry Sleep Solution.
Pantley's successful solution has been tested and proven effective by scores of mothers and their babies from across the United States, Canada, and Europe. Based on her research, Pantley's guide provides you with effective strategies to overcoming naptime and nighttime problems. The No-Cry Sleep Solution offers clearly explained, step-by-step ideas that steer your little ones toward a good night's sleep--all with no crying.
Tips from The No-Cry Sleep Solution:
- Uncover the stumbling blocks that prevent baby from sleeping through the night
- Determine--and work with--baby's biological sleep rhythms
- Create a customized, step-by-step plan to get baby to sleep through the night
- Use the Persistent Gentle Removal System to teach baby to fall asleep without breast-feeding, bottlefeeding, or using a pacifier