- A detailed description of Parkinson's disease
- How you can help find the cure
- Public Services Announcements that are aired on network and cable television stations across the country to increase awareness
- Upcoming related Parkinson's disease events and meetings
- Updates on recent research and developments
In this deeply affecting memoir, Arthur W. Frank explores the events of illness from within: the transformation from person to patient, the pain, the wonder,and the ceremony of recovery. To illuminate what illness can teach us about life, Frank draws upon his own encounters with serious illness -- a heart attack at age thirty-nine and, a year later, a diagnosis of cancer. In poignant and clear prose, he offers brilliant insights into what happens when our bodies and emotions are pushed to extremes. Ultimately, he examines what it means to be human.
- Proves that the majority of cases of stroke, heart attack, and hypertension can easily be prevented by maintaining the proper ratio of potassium to sodium in the diet.- Updated with scientific evidence from a recent Finnish study showing a 60 percent decline in deaths attributed to strokes and heart attacks. - Provides a comprehensive program for balancing body chemistry at the cellular level. High blood pressure is entirely preventable, without reliance on synthetic drugs. Dr. Moore's approach is simple: by maintaining the proper ratio of potassium to sodium in the diet, blood pressure can be regulated at the cellular level, preventing the development of hypertension and the high incidence of strokes and heart attacks associated with it. Dr. Moore updates this edition with a new preface reporting on the latest scientific research in support of his program. The most striking results come from Finland, where for several decades sodium chloride has been replaced nationwide with a commercial sodium/potassium mixture, resulting in a 60 percent decline nationwide in deaths attributed to strokes and heart attacks. Extrapolated to America, the Finnish statistics would mean 360,000 strokes prevented and 96,000 lives saved every year. Dr. Moore makes it clear that high blood pressure is only one symptom of an entire systemic imbalance. He outlines a safe, effective program that focuses on nutrition, weight loss, and exercise to bring the entire body chemistry into balance. For those currently taking blood pressure medications, he includes a chapter on working with your physician to ensure that any reduction in hypertension drugs can be effected gradually and safely.
Combat silent inflammation -- the most serious health threat you never heard ofHeart disease is the #1 killer of Americans.
Cancer is the #1 fear of Americans.
Dementia is the #1 concern of Americans.
What do these devastating illnesses have in common? All three have been linked to silent inflammation, a condition that occurs when the body's natural immune response goes awry. Silent inflammation attacks the heart, arteries, and even the brain -- and you will not even know it. Obesity is the primary cause of silent inflammation and excess body fat is causing today's epidemic rise in countless health threats.
Now Dr. Barry Sears shows you how to combat silent inflammation in this comprehensive guide. His research shows that following the Zone dietary plan, including supplements of ultrarefined fish oil concentrates, is the best way to ensure the future of your health. You can reduce your risk of each disease and condition, or reverse silent inflammation if you have it already -- in only thirty days. The Anti-Inflammation Zone includes a week of Zone meals, exercises that you can do at home, and tools and tests for determining your level of silent inflammation. Follow this plan and enjoy these benefits:
- Better health
- Greater longevity
- Reduced symptoms of chronic diseases
- Improved emotional control
- Greater mental acuity
- Improved physical performance
A noted medical historian places recent outbreaks of deadly diseases in historical perspective, with accounts of other alarming and recurring diseases throughout history and of the ways in which humans have adapted. Reprint. 17,500 first printing.
This comprehensive guide to alternative and self-help care is directed to those who have MS, and to their families, friends, and helpers. Judy Graham's personal experiences with MS prompted her to explore various natural methods of treatment, leading to dramatic and lasting improvement in her own health. In her book, she has combined this first-hand knowledge with extensive, ongoing research.
Offers advice on exercise, posture, yoga, hyperbaric oxygen treatment, incontinence, relationships, sexuality, pregnancy, childbirth, mental attitude, and dealing with fatigue.
In this landmark book, Dr. Teri James Bellis, one of the world's leading authorities on auditory processing disorder (APD), explains the nature of this devastating condition and provides insightful case studies that illustrate its effect on the lives of its sufferers.Millions of Americans struggle silently with APD. For many of them, holding a simple conversation can be next to impossible. As sound travels through an imperfect auditory pathway, words become jumbled, distorted, and unintelligible. As Dr. Bellis notes, the most profound impact of this highly specific impediment to auditory comprehension may be on the young. Facing a severely reduced ability to read, spell, comprehend, and communicate, children with APD are subject to anxiety, academic failure, and a damaged sense of self. Often, they are misdiagnosed. Discussing the latest and most promising clinical advances and treatment options, and providing a host of proven strategies for coping, Dr. Bellis takes much of the mystery out of APD. If you or anyone you know has difficulty comprehending spoken language, or if your child is struggling in school, this important book may have the answers you need.
If you have bad breath, bleeding gums, cavities, or tooth pain-you need this book If you suffer from asthma, diabetes, arthritis, migraine headaches, or any chronic illness, and have not found relief, this book could have the solution you need. All disease starts in the mouth As incredible as it may seem, most of the chronic and infectious illnesses that trouble our society today are influenced by the health of our mouths. Our mouths are a reflection of the health inside our bodies. If you have poor dental health, you are bound to have other health problems. Despite regular brushing and flossing, approximately 90 percent of the population has some degree of gum disease or tooth decay. Most people aren't even aware they have existing dental problems. Recent research has demonstrated a direct link between oral health and chronic illness. Simply improving the health of your teeth and gums can cure many chronic problems. More brushing, flossing, and mouthwash isn't the solution. What will work is Oil Pulling Therapy. Oil pulling is an age-old method of oral cleansing originating from Ayurvedic medicine. It is one of the most powerful, most effective methods of detoxification and healing in natural medicine. Dr. Fife's Oil Pulling Therapy is a revolutionary new treatment combining the wisdom of Ayurvedic medicine with modern science. The science behind oil pulling is fully documented with references to medical studies and case histories. Although incredibly powerful, Oil Pulling Therapy is completely safe and simple enough for even a child. Oil Pulling Therapy guarantees to give you fresher breath, healthier gums, whiter teeth and help protect you from many chronic health problems.
"Memorable...Dr. Weil makes his case carefully and clearly."
--The New York Times Book Review
--Joan Borysenko, author of Minding the Body, Mending the Mind Drawing on fascinating case histories from his own practice as well as medical techniques he has observed in his travels around the world, Dr. Weil shows how the mechanisms of self-diagnosis and self-regeneration have worked to resolve life-threatening diseases, severe trauma, and chronic pain. But spontaneous healing is also the essential element in the maintenance of our basic daily health. The book outlines an eight-week program that each of us can use to alter our diet, avoid environmental toxins, and reduce stress in order to enhance our innate healing powers. The best medicine does not merely combat germs or suppress symptoms, but rather works hand in hand with the body's natural defenses to manage illness. Building on this fundamental truth and tapping into the intricate interaction of mind and body, Dr. Weil arrives at a major new synthesis of conventional and alternative medical treatments. At once practical and inspirational, Spontaneous Healing gives each one of us the power and the wisdom to draw on the sources of health we hold within.
La presi n alta, la "asesina silenciosa" y la amenaza n mero uno para la salud en Estados Unidos, puede evitarse. Esta conclusi n se basa en el informe m s actualizado del Programa Nacional Educativo para la Presi n Alta, de Estados Unidos, y confirma el tratamiento indicado en el libro del doctor Moore. Si se lleva una dieta con la proporci n adecuada de potasio y calcio (el llamado factor K), se regula la presi n en el nivel celular, evitando la hipertensi n. El autor explica exactamente c mo lograrlo con un programa de nutrici n seguro, controlando el peso y haciendo ejercicio. Si usted ya padece de hipertensi n, este programa puede disminuir notablemente sus efectos o incluso erradicarlos sin los tratamientos tradicionales de f rmacos y dieta blanda. Este libro contiene tambi n un cap tulo en el cual se explica c mo colaborar con el m dico para que la reducci n de los medicamentos contra la hipertensi n se lleve a cabo de manera gradual y segura.