"The Oxford American College Dictionary" is completely new, based on the "New Oxford American Dictionary," which was published in October 2001. Drawing on Oxford's unparalleled language resources, including a 200-million-word database, this college dictionary contains:
* more than 175,000 entries and more than 1000 illustrations, including line drawings, photographs and maps
* boxed quotes from famous writers, demonstrating word usage and style
* country guides-shaded boxes highlighting the most important geographical information on more than 180 countries-with maps
* "core sense" organization of definitions, a brand-new and utterly sensible plan in which subordinate definitions flow logically from primary ones, and the most important usage of the word comes first
* thumb index tabs for easy searching
- both English-Cambodian and Combodian-English sections.
- Approximately 5,500 entries.
- All entries in both romanized and Cambodian script.
- Helpful appendixes and sample usages.
- Handy, compact size.
Provides definitions for more than forty thousand Spanish words, with idioms, exceptions, and examples of variations in meaning, and a summary of Spanish grammar
This is the clearest, most useful guide to parliamentary procedure, now with new information on effective and reliable procedures for nominations, elections, ballots, balloting, and ballot counting.
A New Look at Language
The HarperCollins Italian Concise Dictionary, 4th Edition offers up-to-date coverage of contemporary Italian -- from avian flu to PDA, antiglobalizzazione to scafista
Special entries throughout highlight aspects of Italian life and culture
The exclusive KEYWORD feature provides extra help with translating the most essential vocabulary
The indispensable Italian in Action supplement teaches how to speak and write in fluent, natural Italian
A comprehensive guide to learning and using Sign Language in everyday lifeThe authors of the acclaimed Perigee Visual Dictionary of Signing and The Pocket Dictionary of Signing have created a text and workbook in one. This volume will teach you how to use signing in English sentence format. Signing Made Easy offers the most thorough, step-by-step approach to learning sign language, complete with drills and practice exercises to increase signing ability and understanding. Presented in a large-format, easy-to-follow design, this book includes:
- More than 3,500 different signs, with clear illustrations and descriptions
- Instructions on how to sign in complete sentences
- Exercises for learning how to give and receive signs
- Drills to reinforce vocabulary retention
- Chapters organized by subject -- from "Work and Careers" to "Family and Social Life" to "Food" --that build progressively on previous lessons
- The complete manual alphabet
- Spelling exercises throughout
- Instructions for forming numbers and inflections
- A complete index for easy reference
This text presents a comprehensive plan for vocabulary instruction from kindergarten through high school - one broad enough to instruct students with small vocabularies, exceptional vocabularies, and every child in between. Written by one of the top experts in the field, this practical book presents a research-based program with plenty of classroom examples and strategies that teachers can use. The comprehensive plan includes four parts: rich and varied language experiences, teaching individual words, teaching word learning strategies, and fostering word consciousness.
* 600 Terms, Concepts, and Critical Theories. Are all defined, explained, and illustrated in clear, easy-to-understand language. * Comprehensive. Providing students with all the literary and critical terms commonly encountered in the study of literature, from the basic to the complex and avante garde. * Numerous Examples. Allow students to clarify the terms and ideas in each entry. * Cross-References. Further help study by linking related terms and concepts and technical terms with their more common counterparts.
Travel more comfortably... speak and write with greater precision... improve your communication skills... with these excellent and affordable language dictionaries. The New International Webster's Foreign Language Dictionaries are designed for convenient use. Includes thousands of modern words, slang terms and idioms with a feature guide to usage, grammar, pronunciation and more.