Outward Bound Canoeing Handbook is a handy, illustrated resource on the fundamentals of canoeing, including solid, sound instruction on all aspects of canoeing, from types of canoes to equipment choices, paddle and on-the-water techniques, safety tips, an
This fully comprehensive guide covers the key camp craft and orienteering skills needed, whether for a family holiday on a pre-booked campsite, or for a wilder expedition into the deep backcountry.
'Sound, well-seasoned advice on] how to bring wood fires into our lives.' - BBC Countryfile
The Wood Fire Handbook shows you that the soothing effect of dancing flames and glowing embers is a simple pleasure to have in our lives. Understanding everything that underpins the perfect wood fire makes it even more enjoyable. Vincent Thurkettle's handbook is the essential companion and manual. Contents include...
Understand which trees make the best firewood
Learn how to split, season, and store wood
Lay the perfect fire
Make an ingenious campfire
Choose wood for its scent ...and much much more
Experience 10 heart-pounding tales of the Midwest based on history, lore, and legends from around the region--perfect for telling around the campfire. Discover what it feels like to be a ghost or to bring one home. Explore what may be lurking at the bottom of a lake at a favorite vacation spot. Solve the mystery and unlock the secrets of a strange journal brought forth by an old doctor who may or may not be a part of this world. Unearth one of the seven gateways to hell and venture into the fiery depths below. Determine for yourself what is real and what is fiction, as these and other haunting tales paint a landscape rife with creepy paranormal activity.
- Flexible Itineraries: Adventure-packed ideas ranging from one day in the park to a week-long trip, designed for outdoor adventurers, families, history buffs, couples, and more
- The Best Hikes in and Around the Grand Canyon: Detailed descriptions, individual trail maps, mileage and elevation gains, and backpacking options
- Experience the Outdoors: Go backcountry camping in the inner canyon or rafting down the Colorado River. Head to the Havasupai reservation's Havasu Canyon for a waterfall-filled hike, or ride horseback through the South Rim. Mountain bike along the Rainbow Rim or stroll along a 70-foot skywalk stretching into the canyon. Shop and dine in the bustling Grand Canyon Village or discover the canyon's fascinating formation story at the Yavapai Geology Museum
- How to Get There: Up-to-date information on gateway towns, park entrances, park fees, and tours
- Where to Stay: Campgrounds, cabins, resorts, and more both inside and outside the park
- Planning Tips: When to go, what to pack, safety information, and how to avoid the crowds, with full-color photos and detailed maps throughout
- Expertise and Know-How: Explore with Grand Canyon expert Kathleen Bryant
Visiting more of Americas national parks? Try Moon Zion & Bryce. Traveling beyond the park? Try Moon Arizona & the Grand Canyon.
The bestselling book--more than 1.5 million copies sold--for every boy from eight to eighty, covering essential boyhood skills such as building tree houses, learning how to fish, finding true north, and even answering the age old question of what the big deal with girls is--now a Prime Original Series created by Bryan Cranston (Breaking Bad) and Greg Mottola (Superbad).
In this digital age, there is still a place for knots, skimming stones and stories of incredible courage. This book recaptures Sunday afternoons, stimulates curiosity, and makes for great father-son activities. The brothers Conn and Hal have put together a wonderful collection of all things that make being young or young at heart fun--building go-carts and electromagnets, identifying insects and spiders, and flying the world's best paper airplanes.
Skills covered include:
- The Greatest Paper Airplane in the World
- The Seven Wonders of the Ancient World
- The Five Knots Every Boy Should Know
- Building a Treehouse*
- Making a Bow and Arrow
- Fishing (revised with US Fish)
- Timers and Tripwires
- Baseball's Most Valuable Players
- Famous Battles-Including Lexington and Concord, The Alamo, and Gettysburg
- Spies-Codes and Ciphers
- Making a Go-Cart
- Navajo Code Talkers' Dictionary
- Cloud Formations
- The States of the U.S.
- Mountains of the U.S.
- The Declaration of Independence
- Skimming Stones
- Making a Periscope
- The Ten Commandments
- Common US Trees
- Timeline of American History
A pocket-sized book of wisdom based on the bestselling phenomenon, The Dangerous Book for Boys, this portable edition includes some favorite activities from the original book, along with some even more dangerous new ones With everything from how to win at poker, to how to make a paper hat, from skipping stones to writing a note in secret ink, the Pocket Book of things to do will appeal to all men and boys with an appetite for danger