Richly photographed and information-packed tools for the novice or handy reference for the veteran, BASIC ILLUSTRATED books distill years of knowledge into affordable and visual guides. Whether you're planning a trip or thumbing for facts in the field, the BASIC ILLUSTRATED series shows you what you need to know.BASIC ILLUSTRATED Winter Hiking and CampingDiscover how to: - Prepare for your trip - Choose proper equipment - Select safe and warm clothing - Make snow shelters and set up tents on snow - Cook delicious winter cuisine - Stay safe in the snowy backcountry - Make a winter camping repair kit
* 1001 fun-to-read tips for beginning to expert hikers and backpackers
* Concise, easy-to-use hints selected from one of the most popular Backpacker columns
* Our best-selling "how to backpack" book Experienced hikers know that their most important piece of gear is the gray matter they carry in their heads. They know they can't be prepared for every single thing that could go wrong. They can't anticipate every problem, and they can't carry enough gear to fix everything that could possibly break. And they don't have to, because Everyday Wisdom does it for them. This one-stop, easy-to-use collection of practical advice, time-saving tips, problem-solving techniques, brilliant improvisations, and Everyday Wisdom shows hikers how to make their way and make do in the backcountry. The secret is preparing for the predictable and solving problems by avoiding them. Learn about the basics, food and kitchen, travel across backcountry terrain, creating comfort, weather issues, staying healthy, water, field repairs, equipment maintenance between trips, and a whole lot more. Can't find the hole in the air mattress? Need tips for backcountry meals? A surprise cold front has rolled in... Need some improvised gloves, fast? Everyday Wisdom will help. Knowing a few seemingly small tricks will enable backpackers to take big strides in increasing their comfort, safety, preparation, and improvisational skills. This guide is a source of to-the-point, practical hints and tips that only a seasoned expert could bring together.
Offers advice and guidance on selecting camping equipment, choosing a site, maintaining personal hygiene, first aid, and avoiding unwanted animals while exploring amorous endeavors in the great out-of-doors
When eleven climbers died on K2 in 2008, two Sherpas survived. Their astonishing tale became the stuff of mountaineering legend. This white-knuckle adventure follows the Sherpas from their remote villages in Nepal to the peak of the world's most dangerous mountain, recounting one of the most dramatic disasters in alpine history from a fascinating new perspective.
Winner of the NCTE George Orwell Award and an official selection of the American Alpine Club Book Club.
Birders use many kinds of information to identify birds, including size and shape, color pattern, markings, behavior, habitat and calls. This handy guide puts basic birding skills at your fingertips, explaining simple techniques that allow you to sort birds into categories for easier ID. It also discusses equipment needs, resources and tools for the beginning birder, as well as tips for attracting birds to your backyard.
Be Prepared to Survive Everyday Emergencies
The keys to your everyday survival are: situational awareness, knowledge, and practiced preparedness skills. Sure, it's important to have trustworthy survival gear, but possessing the mindset that you are prepared for anything, and that you will survive no matter what happens, is your secret weapon that will help you to stay alive in an emergency.
Everyday Survival Kits contains clearly outlined packing lists for what you need for specific survival situations. A situation will arise when you'll require more than just a bug out bag or a get home bag--with the help of this guide you'll be prepared to stay alive.
Inside you'll find:
- detailed packing lists for a variety of kits including: everyday carry, hip bag, pocket survival kit, emergency 72-hour bag, urban survival bag, day hike kit, emergency car kit, vacation kit, student kit, purse kit, extreme weather kit, maritime kit, and the ultimate bug out bag
- practical applications and detailed instructions of how to use each item in the kit
- a resources section to take the guesswork out of finding and buying the right gear for the kit
- non-branded gear recommendations so you can select gear that fits both your need and your budget
- real-world scenarios in which the kits will be useful
This updated edition provides a guide to the art of going out-of-doors. It deals with the whens, wheres, how, and what-nows, with chapters such as Anatomy of a crap and For women only: How not to pee in your boots. It includes information on how to take waste home, for rock climbers, kayakers and others dealing with rock-hard and fragile ecosystems, and is illustrated by black and white drawings.
- The organization of scouting
- Signs and signaling
- Scouting games
- Description of scouting honors.
Scouts past and present will be fascinated to see how scouting has changed, as well as what has stayed the same over the years. "In these pages and throughout our organization we have made it obligatory upon our scouts that they cultivate courage, loyalty, patriotism, brotherliness, self-control courtesy, kindness to animals, usefulness, cheerfulness, cleanliness, thrift purity, and honor, no one can doubt that with such training added to his native gifts, the American boy will bin the near future, as a man, bean efficient leader in the paths of civilization and peace."--From the Preface
'Sound, well-seasoned advice on] how to bring wood fires into our lives.' - BBC Countryfile
The Wood Fire Handbook shows you that the soothing effect of dancing flames and glowing embers is a simple pleasure to have in our lives. Understanding everything that underpins the perfect wood fire makes it even more enjoyable. Vincent Thurkettle's handbook is the essential companion and manual. Contents include...
Understand which trees make the best firewood
Learn how to split, season, and store wood
Lay the perfect fire
Make an ingenious campfire
Choose wood for its scent ...and much much more