Way back before man abandoned the woods for the cities--and traded his hunting rifle for a BlackBerry--he had to know how to do certain things to survive. He had to trap and build and grow things, using his calloused hands and valuable knowledge passed down through the generations. For most men today, these once-cherished skills are as dead as the dodo.
But take heart Now guys can reconnect with those less-complicated times, rediscover how to embrace adventure, and appreciate the outdoor life. Denis Boyles, principal author of A Man's Life, has culled a wealth of essential, nearly lost manly endeavors from U.S. government pamphlets, century-old publications, and ancient scouting manuals to help reeducate us in the fine macho arts of:
- Tracking a bobcat
- Splicing a rope
- Rescuing someone from drowning
- Sending a smoke signal
- Building a log cabin
And much, much, much more--including, of course, how to catch a pig
Bears. Avalanches. Grill fi res. The great outdoors is packed with perils, so be prepared from the moment you lace up your boots. With detailed instructions on how to get out of every kind of trouble in the wild, this new, dynamic almanac format in the best-selling Worst-Case Scenario series provides maximum protectionand gives you something scary to read around the campfire. Profiles of worst-case locations and intrepid explorers, charts and graphs of perilous situations, offbeat lists and factshere is all the information you need in the wilderness to feel safe and terrified at the same time.
Richly photographed and information-packed tools for the novice or handy reference for the veteran, BASIC ILLUSTRATED books distill years of knowledge into affordable and visual guides. Whether you're planning a trip or thumbing for facts in the field, the BASIC ILLUSTRATED series shows you what you need to know.BASIC ILLUSTRATED Winter Hiking and CampingDiscover how to: - Prepare for your trip - Choose proper equipment - Select safe and warm clothing - Make snow shelters and set up tents on snow - Cook delicious winter cuisine - Stay safe in the snowy backcountry - Make a winter camping repair kit
Short, to-the-point, and humorously illustrated by famed outdoor illustrator Mike Clelland, this book presents everything hikers and backpackers need to be safe, comfortable, and well fed while carrying a very small and lightweight pack.
* 1001 fun-to-read tips for beginning to expert hikers and backpackers
* Concise, easy-to-use hints selected from one of the most popular Backpacker columns
* Our best-selling "how to backpack" book Experienced hikers know that their most important piece of gear is the gray matter they carry in their heads. They know they can't be prepared for every single thing that could go wrong. They can't anticipate every problem, and they can't carry enough gear to fix everything that could possibly break. And they don't have to, because Everyday Wisdom does it for them. This one-stop, easy-to-use collection of practical advice, time-saving tips, problem-solving techniques, brilliant improvisations, and Everyday Wisdom shows hikers how to make their way and make do in the backcountry. The secret is preparing for the predictable and solving problems by avoiding them. Learn about the basics, food and kitchen, travel across backcountry terrain, creating comfort, weather issues, staying healthy, water, field repairs, equipment maintenance between trips, and a whole lot more. Can't find the hole in the air mattress? Need tips for backcountry meals? A surprise cold front has rolled in... Need some improvised gloves, fast? Everyday Wisdom will help. Knowing a few seemingly small tricks will enable backpackers to take big strides in increasing their comfort, safety, preparation, and improvisational skills. This guide is a source of to-the-point, practical hints and tips that only a seasoned expert could bring together.
Discover the joys of desert camping, hiking, and travel
Harsh, yet hauntingly beautiful; arid, yet teeming with life; inhospitable, yet profoundly peaceful--the earth's deserts beckon the poet and the backpacker, the artist and the adventurer. If you're heading into the desert, however, you should know what to expect, what to look for, and how to withstand extreme desert conditions.
Richly illustrated with photographs and drawings, The Ultimate Desert Handbook is your complete guide to hiking, exploration, and survival in fascinating but unforgiving desert terrain. It gives you the crucial information you need to make the most of any desert sojourn, including detailed descriptions of North American deserts, their plants and wildlife, and their distinctive geological features. You'll also find the most comprehensive tutorial on desert navigation ever published and expert advice on equipment, safety, and first-aid techniques. You'll learn how to:
- Select the perfect desert campsite
- Manage your water supply
- Share the landscape with desert wildlife
- Maintain vehicles in desert conditions
- Protect yourself with the right clothing and equipment
- Be at home in a vast and elemental terrain
Now with full-color topographic maps and featuring the latest on electronic navigation, The Essential Wilderness Navigator is the clearest and most up-to-date route-finding primer available. Providing readers with exercises for developing a directional 'sixth sense, ' tips on mastering the art of map- and compass-reading, and comprehensive updates on a range of technological advances, this perennially popular guide is more indispensable than ever.