- Origins and meanings of over 2,000 characters.
- Beautifly hand-drawn kanji.
- Additional compound characters for each featured character.
- valuable suggestions and mnemonic devices for memorizing characters.
- All the standard characters official designed for common use.
- grayed-out, trace-over characters for correct character construction.
- Extensive practice in writing sentences for maximum reinforcement.
- Supplementary explanations, including a brief history of the origin of each character, to foster visual recall.
There are three types of Japanese script-katakana, hiragana, and kanji. It is possible to read Japanese knowing only a limited number of kanji, but it is not possible with only a limited number of katakana or hiragana-one must know all of them. Let's Learn Katakana, and its companion volume Let's Learn Hiragana, is a textbook that introduces the learner to the basics of one of these fundamental Japanese scripts. Being a workbook, it contains all the exercises that allow the student to master katakana by the time the book has been finished. Let's Learn Katakana is a classic in the field, and the huge number of students that have used it successfully is a sign of its preeminence as a self-study guide.
Beginning This beginner's workbook helps students learn both hiragana and katakana writing systems. After learning hiragana writing, students move on to katakana. Then they write sentences containing both hiragana and katakana.
- Step-by-step stroke order diagrams for each character.
- Special boxes with grid lines to practice writing characters.
- Words and phrases using each kanji.
- Romanizations (romanji) to help identify and pronounce every word.
Together, these updated volumes incorporate all 410 kanji required for the AP exam, along with practice questions. Each lesson helps you master a new group of kanji, with either an etymology or a memory aid offered to give students a basis for understanding and memorizing the kanji systematically and correctly.
Master hiragana and katakana in just minutes a day with Kana A-Day Practice Pad. Perfect for both beginners studying the Japanese language and those wishing to hone their kana writing skills, this pad introduces one new kana on each sheet, with readings, stroke order, and sample vocabulary words. All hiragana and katakana are included, along with their sound changes and combinations. For easy reference and review, a booklet listing all kana is included.