Each Language Map contains over 1,000 words and phrases split into important sections covering the basics for your trip to Japan. This unique Language Map is a lightweight phrasebook, but in a durable, laminated, fold-out format.
This is an ideal introduction to Japanese th ought and culture and a practical guide, both for anticipati ng Japanese behaviour and avoiding cultural faux pas. The co mpanion will interest tourists, students and business travel lers to Japan. '
There are three types of Japanese script-katakana, hiragana, and kanji. It is possible to read Japanese knowing only a limited number of kanji, but it is not possible with only a limited number of katakana or hiragana-one must know all of them. Let's Learn Katakana, and its companion volume Let's Learn Hiragana, is a textbook that introduces the learner to the basics of one of these fundamental Japanese scripts. Being a workbook, it contains all the exercises that allow the student to master katakana by the time the book has been finished. Let's Learn Katakana is a classic in the field, and the huge number of students that have used it successfully is a sign of its preeminence as a self-study guide.
RELIABLE, DETAILED, AND UP-TO-DATE
* More than 50,000 entries, including the most common meanings
* Two sections, Japanese-English and English-Japanese
* All entries, from A to Z, in a single alphabetical listing
* Japanese terms shown in romanized Japanese and standard Japanese characters
* Hundreds of new words, including eizu (AIDS) and nyuryoku (computer input)
* Thousands of idioms, phrases, and common expressions illustrate typical usage
* Includes Japanese cultural items, such as yobiko (cram school), and gives source of foreign borrowings, such as nyusu (news)
* American English spelling and vocabulary
* Extensive use of explanatory glosses to specify precise meaning and assure appropriate translation
- Systematic and comprehensive coverage of the two kana systems.
- Ample provision for kana practice, review, and self-testing at several levels
- Detailed reference section explaining the origin and function of Japanese kana, and the various kana combinations.
- Helpful additional information for language students accustomed to romanized Japanese.
- Japanese pronunciation guidance for all basic sounds.
- Vocabulary selected for usefulness and cultural relevance.
This attractive, illustrated Japanese phrasebook for travelers has been updated and re-designed. Perfect as a take-along guide for visitors to the Far East, it features city maps, information on public transportation systems, general information for visitors to Japan, and bilingual lists of more than 1,500 most-often-used words and expressions for travelers, in the form of phonetic spellings of Japanese words with their English translations. The book's page edges are color-coded by topic for quick reference.