- Origins and meanings of over 2,000 characters.
- Beautifly hand-drawn kanji.
- Additional compound characters for each featured character.
- valuable suggestions and mnemonic devices for memorizing characters.
- All the standard characters official designed for common use.
- grayed-out, trace-over characters for correct character construction.
- Extensive practice in writing sentences for maximum reinforcement.
- Supplementary explanations, including a brief history of the origin of each character, to foster visual recall.
Together, these updated volumes incorporate all 410 kanji required for the AP exam, along with practice questions. Each lesson helps you master a new group of kanji, with either an etymology or a memory aid offered to give students a basis for understanding and memorizing the kanji systematically and correctly.
- Words & Expressions: This section introduces words and expressions needed in specific situations. Vocabulary is presented systematically for quick and easy understanding.
- Expressions in Context: This shows how to use in context the words and expressions given in the preceding section. Gives you confidence in using new words in original sentences.
- Additional Words & Expressions: This section enables you to create many new sentences using the patterns just learned. There's no need to memorize all the words or phrases presented here: concentrate on just those you want to use.
To use this book, start by reading the first three chapters of the book. These introduce many of the most commonly used words and phrases and familiarize you with the basic sentence structures. After Chapter 3, go straight to any chapter that interests you. If you want to know what to say on the phone, read Chapter 14: if you have to take a train, a few minutes with Chapter 6 should enable you to reach your destination quickly and conveniently. Although this book contains over three hundred carefully selected words and expressions, there is very little grammar included and there is no need for hours of rote memorization. All that is required is a few minutes of your time.
Each Language Map contains over 1,000 words and phrases split into important sections covering the basics for your trip to Japan. This unique Language Map is a lightweight phrasebook, but in a durable, laminated, fold-out format.
Beginning This beginner's workbook helps students learn both hiragana and katakana writing systems. After learning hiragana writing, students move on to katakana. Then they write sentences containing both hiragana and katakana.