1987: The photographer Luciano Viti succeeds in what remains one of the most significant events in the history of music photography, that of realising photo- sessions with Miles Davis and Chet Baker, two legends of jazz.
During the usual "ten minutes" at his disposal, Viti made a series of stunning and intense portraits that will go down in history. For the first time, after more than twenty-five years of photographic career, Viti's photographs have been published in this book, accompanied by a poetic text by Paolo Fresu, a renowned jazz trumpeter. A unique testimony of rare beauty, celebrating two great and unforgettable musicians who have marked jazz history.
Luciano Viti is a professional photographer who mainly works in the music world. He worked for Grazia Neri photoagency. He has committed himself in photographic works for many record companies such as Sony, Polygram, and Virgin, among others, as well as for advertising campaigns, press campaigns, and record/CD covers.
Paolo Fresu graduated in trumpet studies at the conservatory of Cagliari in 1982 and in the same year he won numerous awards as best Italian jazz talent. In 1996 he was elected best European musician, won the Django d'or, and was nominated best international musician. He teaches both nationally and internationally and he has recorded over 350 records.
Newly revised and updated, the Italian-English Bilingual Visual Dictionary is a quick and intuitive way to learn and recall everyday words in Italian.
The Italian-English Bilingual Visual Dictionary introduces a range of useful current vocabulary in thematic order, using full-color photographs and artworks to display and label all the elements of everyday life -- from the home and office to sport, music, nature, and the countries of the world -- with panel features on key nouns, verbs, and useful phrases.
The Italian-English Bilingual Visual Dictionary features:
- A quick and intuitive way to learn and remember thousands of words.
- A complete range of illustrated objects and scenes from everyday life.
- Fast and effective learning for any situation, from home and office to shopping and dining out.
- Detailed index for instant reference.
- Handy size ideal for travel.
The illustrations in the Italian-English Bilingual Visual Dictionary provide a quick and intuitive route to learning a language, defining the words visually so it is easier to remember them and creating a colorful and stimulating learning resource for the foreign-language and EFL/ESL student.
Master the language with an Italian language learning course, including print and on-line components. Includes 4 companion books, from beginner to intermediate levels, and a 6-month free membership to Livemocha.com, an interactive on-line course that connects with the world's largest community of language learners, with over 8 million members. Livemocha Active Italian includes step-by-step instruction, grammar and vocabulary exercises, and a variety of quizzes and activities. Speak, listen, video chat, and instant message with native speakers and instructors worldwide.
Your search for the right word in Italian is over.
Stop hunting blindly through ordinary bilingual dictionaries! With 4,000 words, Must-Know Italian gives you the power to be understood in any situation.
You'll never be at a loss for words again
- in the classroom il calcolatore (calculator), il, la supplente (substitute teacher)
- at the office lo stage (internship), la riunione (meeting)
- talking about the environment la conservazione (conservation), riciclare (recycle)
- discussing politics la cittadinanza (citizenship), il broglio elettorale (electoral fraud)
- shopping l(o)'affare (bargain), la cartina del bancomat (ATM card)
A revised edition of the Collins Italian Gem dictionary, including the latest vocabulary relating to the Internet and to the new Europe.
With its extensive coverage of Italian language in a compact form, the Collins Italian Gem remains the indispensable small dictionary for learners of Italian. Now updated for the millennium, its 40,000-plus references and 70,000 translations include the latest additions to the language, notably terms relating to the Internet and to the new Europe.
With an attractive new layout and typography, featuring special entries relating to various aspects of Italian life and culture, the Italian Gem is compact, reliable and completely up-to-date - the ideal small dictionary for school and general use.
Based on the successful approach of the Practice Makes Perfect series, Italian Pronouns and Prepositions offers a clear and engaging presentation of all aspects of pronoun and preposition usage, combined with extensive practice, for beginning and intermediate language learners. This new edition features a new review chapter that allows learners to pull together the grammar skills they've acquired.
About the Book
This new edition in the successful Practice Makes Perfect series, Practice Makes Perfect: Italian Pronouns and Prepositions offers a detailed examination of these two essential aspects of grammar, which language learners need to master to communicate with confidence. Learners of a foreign language often have difficulty with these areas because the usage of pronouns or prepositions rarely translates directly from English to the new language. Thus, language learners need much more practice in the areas of pronoun and preposition usage than is provided in general grammar books.
This book provides clear explanations of the usage of pronouns and prepositions, followed by practical examples illustrating and clarifying each point. Extensive and varied exercises provide ample opportunity to practice. Answers to all questions are provided at the back of the book, providing immediate feedback.
The new edition features a brand-new review chapter that allows learners to pull together the grammar skills they've acquired throughout the book.
Key Selling Features
- New edition features a brand-new review chapter
- Details all aspects of pronoun and preposition usage
- Clarifies the subtleties of pronouns and prepositions that often escape language learners
- Highly varied and extensive exercises for practice
- Practical and high-frequency vocabulary used throughout
- Answer key provided for reference and quick feedback
- Combines the best elements of instruction and practice so readers find all they need in one book.
Lonely Planet Italian Phrasebook & Dictionary is your handy passport to culturally enriching travels with the most relevant and useful Italian phrases and vocabulary for all your travel needs. Order an espresso like a local, ask shop keepers about the latest fashions and bargain for fresh produce at the market -all with your trusted travel companion. With language tools in your back pocket, you can truly get to the heart of wherever you go, so begin your journey now
Get More From Your Trip with Easy-to-Find Phrases for Every Travel Situation
- Feel at ease with essential tips on culture, manners, idioms and multiple meanings
- Order with confidence, explain food allergies, and try new foods with the menu decoder
- Save time and hassles with vital phrases at your fingertips
- Never get stuck for words with the 3500-word two-way, quick-reference dictionary
- Be prepared for both common and emergency travel situations with practical phrases and terminology
- Meet friends with conversation starter phrases
- Get your message across with easy-to-use pronunciation guides
Inside Lonely Planet Italian Phrasebook & Dictionary
- Full-colour throughout
- User-friendly layout organised by travel scenario categories
- Survival phrases inside front cover for at-a-glance on-the-fly cues
- Basics - time, dates, numbers, amounts, pronunciation, reading tips, grammar rules
- Practical - travel with kids, disabled travellers, sightseeing, business, banking, post office, internet, phones, repairs, bargaining, accommodation, directions, border crossing, transport
- Social - meeting people, interests, feelings, opinions, going out, romance, culture, activities, weather
- Safe Travel - emergencies, police, doctor, chemist, dentist, symptoms, conditions
- Food - ordering, at the market, at the bar, dishes, ingredients
The Perfect Choice: Lonely Planet Italian Phrasebook & Dictionary, a pocket-sized comprehensive language guide, provides on-the-go language assistance. Great for language students and travellers looking to interact with locals and immerse themselves in local culture.
About Lonely Planet: Since 1973, Lonely Planet has become the world's leading travel media company with guidebooks to every destination, an award-winning website, mobile and digital travel products, and a dedicated traveller community. Lonely Planet covers must-see spots but also enables curious travellers to get off beaten paths to understand more of the culture of the places in which they find themselves.