A complete guide to the healthiest foods you can eat - and how to cook them
Why get your nutrients from expensive supplements when you can enjoy delicious, nourishing foods instead? From almonds to yucca, readers will find out what nutrients each of the 150 featured foods contains, what form contains the most nutrients, if it's been recommended to combat any diseases, where to find it, how to prepare it, and how much to eat - plus wonderful recipes using these sometimes obscure foods Indexes by nutrient, by disease, and by food make finding what you need a snap, and the at-a-glance format makes the information as easy to digest as the foods themselves.
Healthy Cooking for Two (or Just You) by Frances Price offers:* More than 200 creative, low-fat recipes for today's smaller households
* Unique two-column recipe format for hassle-free preparation
* Tips on shopping for one or two, and streamlining your kitchen
* Full nutrient analysis with every recipe
* Special chapter of delicious, no-fuss menus
* Plenty of 30-minute recipes-- plus meatless meals, divine desserts, tip-packed boxes and more
Renowned for its dazzling beauty and delectable cuisine, the Mediterranean island of Sicily has historically one of the healthiest diets in the world. Recent studies show that this eating style can reduce the risk of developing Parkinson's disease, Alzheimer's, diabetes, and depression, and that it can even increase fertility rates Now all the succulent flavors and myriad benefits of Sicilian cooking are yours to savor in the very first weight-loss program that will not only help you effortlessly shed unwanted pounds but will become a prescription for a lifetime of nourishing, palate-pleasing fare. Created by respected physician Dr. Angelo Acquista, who has successful counseled his patients on weight management for years, The Mediterranean Prescription starts with a two-week weight-loss stage that includes simple, delectable recipes to help you lose eight to ten pounds right away. Still convinced that all diets leave you feeling deprived? Imagine eating Baked Zucchini with Eggplant and Tomatoes, Sweet-and-Sour Red Snapper, Chicken Cacciatore, Pasta Fagioli, and Baked Onions. Dr. Acquista culled his Sicilian mother's recipe box for the most mouthwatering recipes-plus he includes meals from famous chefs at top Italian restaurants, such as Cipriani and Serafina. If you follow these lifestyle-changing suggestions, you will enjoy - long-term success: Eat the foods you love and enjoy-bread, pasta, and all your favorite Italian dishes-while adopting healthier eating habits.
- no more addictions: A two-week "tough love" stage helps you kick the habit of sugar, junk food, and preservatives.
- zero deprivation: The Sicilian way of cooking and combining foods means less snacking in between meals, and less temptation to fill up on desserts.
- family-friendly recipes: Children will love and benefit from the dishes as well, so you can share the good eating and the good health. Plus you'll find vital information on how being overweight affects each part of your body, including the skin, brain, heart, liver, joints, back, and breasts. Most people don't realize that many of their health problems derive from unhealthful weight. Discover the Sicilian secret to a happy life. Capture a pleasurable way of eating that will bring all the blessings and bounty of the Mediterranean to your table, to your life, and to your health
Parents want the best for their children, starting with what they eat. This book includes both information and recipes so readers can educate themselves about organics and prepare all-natural meals for their children. Readers will discover how to know if foods are really organic, prepare natural baby and toddler meals at home, grow their own organic produce, make delicious dishes like Apple and Carrot Mash and Potato-Crusted Vegetable Quiche, and more This book gives readers all the tools and know-how they need to shop economically, find the best organic foods, and prepare the perfect meals for their little ones.
We are sure you will agree The Mayo Clinic I Williams-Sonoma Cookbook is one of the best health cookbooks on the market today This attractively designed cookbook features 135 delicious recipes professionally developed to meet the nutrition guidelines established by Mayo Clinic physicians and dietitians. Each recipe was created with the careful guidance of Mayo Clinic experts, using health, easy-to-find ingredients and practical cooking techniques.
- Appetizers and starters
- Rice, noodles and grains
- Meat and poultry
- Vegetables and salads
- Delicious desserts
- Acclaimed stage and screen actor Keith Michell delivers a cookbook filled with the fabulous recipes that keep him healthy, active, and in the spotlight.- Includes over 200 recipes, many appearing for the first time, as well as seasonal menu suggestions. - Answers the questions that too often obscure macrobiotic practices. - Revised, expanded, and newly illustrated edition of Practically Macrobiotic. In the latest edition of this unique cookbook, internationally acclaimed actor Keith Michell draws aside the curtain of mystery that too often obscures macrobiotics. With an inimitable and entertaining style, Michell shows that being practically macrobiotic doesn't have to mean a life of food denial and strict diets, but instead can provide a way to enjoy eating heathily from the vast variety of foods that nature supplies. With the understanding of someone who has taken to heart a new way of life, Keith Michell explains just what macrobiotics is all about. He has painstakingly sought answers to the many questions commonly asked about the macrobiotic diet. Practically macrobiotic in both senses of the expression, Michell is able to offer us refreshing and appealing explanations of the principles behind this lifestyle and way of eating. With over 200 delicious recipes--many of them appearing here for the first time--and original color illustrations by the author himself, Keith Michell's Practically Macrobiotic Cookbook gives full creative expression to a man who is always a star, whether on stage or in the kitchen.
Low-fat or low-carb? A recent New York Times Magazine (July 7, 2002) cover story answered this question and said that Dr. Atkins was right all along, "its not fat that makes us fat but carbohydrates." Though the government has spent hundreds of millions of dollars in research trying to prove that fat is the cause of obesity, there has been a subtle shift in the scientific consensus over the past five years supporting what the low-carb diet doctors have been saying all along: if we eat less carbohydrates, we will lose weight and live longer.
One of the toughest challenges of any diet is having enough variety and choices to keep the dieter from losing interest. The most common reason that people abandon their diet is boredom but 500 LOW CARB RECIPES: 500 Recipes, From Snacks to Dessert, That the Whole Family Will Love by Dana Carpender has more than enough recipes to keep even the most finicky dieter on track.
With recipes for everything including hors d oeuvres, snacks, breads, muffins, side dishes, entrees, cookies, cakes and much more, this is an endless supply for creating meals for the whole family night after night. Whether everyone in the family is on a diet or not, these recipes are proven winners with adults and kids alike.
- Many one-dish meals for single people--main dish salads, skillet suppers that include meat and vegetables, and hearty soups that are a full meal in a bowl.
- Ideas for breaking out of old ways of looking at food with suggestions that save time and money and change what is considered a normal meal for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Information about where to find low-carbohydrate specialty products and descriptions of low-carb specialty foods found in grocery stores everywhere.
- An entire chapter that lists and describes low-carb substitute ingredients such as fats and oils, flour substitutes, liquids, seasonings and sweeteners.
Dieters will be pleased to know that they can eat foods like guacamole, omelets, pizza, steak, ham and dessert without giving up great taste and still lose weight. There are enough recipes to create the perfect menu for any holiday of the year--including Thanksgiving. Each of the 500 recipes includes a carbohydrate count to help calculate the total carb intake of each menu.
There are more recipes for main dishes and side dishes than most low-carb dieters will ever be able to eat--everything from down-home cooking to ethnic fare; from quick-and-easy weeknight meals to knock-their-socks off party food. 500 LOW CARB RECIPES is the last cookbook any dieter will ever need to buy and certain to be used until the binding is worn out