Inspire your creative spirit--everyday
Whether you're a beginner or an experienced artist, Art Escapes provides the ideas and encouragement you need to discover greater creativity and artistic confidence, even when you're short on time. Professional artist and instructor Dory Kanter shows you how to:
- Experience more fun and greater confidence drawing and painting.
- Express yourself and experiment everyday with an art journal.
- Reinterpret daily life with simple, beautiful sketches.
- Find painting inspiration in unexpected places.
- Paint freely, intuitively and passionately with a simple four-step approach.
- Create new forms of art, including watercolor mosaics, paper weavings and found object collages.
You'll also find 13 drawing, watercolor, mixed media, and assemblage projects, plus several "page-a-day" ideas.
With Art Escapes, you'll learn how to build an art "habit," one that brings joy with every stroke of your brush.
The field of art therapy is discovering that artistic expression can be a powerful means of personal transformation and emotional and spiritual healing. In this book, Shaun McNiff, a leader in expressive arts therapy for more than three decades, reflects on a wide spectrum of activities aimed at reviving art's traditional healing function. In chapters ranging from "Liberating Creativity" and "The Practice of Creativity in the Workplace" to "From Shamanism to Art Therapy," he illuminates some of the most progressive views in the rapidly expanding field of art therapy:- The "practice of imagination" as a powerful force for transformation
- A challenge to literal-minded psychological interpretations of artworks ("black colors indicate depression") and the principle that even disturbing images have inherent healing properties
- The role of the therapist in promoting an environment conducive to free expression and therapeutic energies
- The healing effects of group work, with people creating alongside one another and interacting in the studio
- "Total expression," combining arts such as movement, storytelling, and drumming with painting and drawing
Art is a spiritual path--not a religion, but a practice that helps us knit together the ideals and convictions that guide our lives. Creating art can be prayer, ritual, and remembrance of the Divine. And the sharing of this creativity with others in small groups can serve as sanctuary, asylum, ashram, therapy group, think tank, and village square. Pat Allen has developed a reliable guide for walking the path of art through a series of simple practices that combine drawing, painting, and sculpture with journal writing. Designed for readers at any level of artistic experience, the book shows how to:- awaken the creative force and connect with the divine source of creativity
- access inner wisdom and intuition about life issues, including both personal and community concerns
- find a path to meaning that includes honoring, celebrating, and giving thanks
- explore the images and symbols of traditions such as Catholicism, Judaism, shamanism, and Goddess worship
- join in spiritual community with others who are following the path of art
- discover that artmaking can help us live our ideals and be of service in the world Detailed examples from the author's own practice of art, plus the stories and images of several other people, are presented to illustrate how art becomes a spiritual path in action. At the author's virtual studio, www.patballen.com, readers can post their images and writings, communicate with the author, and subscribe to an electronic newsletter. The site also contains an archive of the images in this book in full color.
Making art--giving form to the images that arise in our mind's eye, our dreams, and our everyday lives--is a form of spiritual practice through which knowledge of ourselves can ripen into wisdom. This book offers encouragement for everyone to explore art making in this spirit of self-discovery--plus practical instructions on material, methods, and activities such as ways to:- Discover a personal myth or story
- Recognize patterns and themes in one's life
- Identify and release painful memories
- Combine journaling and image making
- Practice the ancient skill of active imagination
- Connect with others through sharing one's art works Interwoven with this guidance is the intimate story of the author's own journey as a student, art therapist, teacher, wife, mother, and artist--and, most of all, as a woman who discovered a profound and healing connection with her soul through making art.
A stunning and timely creative call-to-arms combining four extraordinary written pieces by Neil Gaiman illustrated with the striking four-color artwork of Chris Riddell.
"The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before."--Neil Gaiman
Drawn from Gaiman's trove of published speeches, poems, and creative manifestos, Art Matters is an embodiment of this remarkable multi-media artist's vision--an exploration of how reading, imagining, and creating can transform the world and our lives.
Art Matters bring together four of Gaiman's most beloved writings on creativity and artistry:
- "Credo," his remarkably concise and relevant manifesto on free expression, first delivered in the wake of the Charlie Hebdo shootings
- "Make Good Art," his famous 2012 commencement address delivered at the Philadelphia University of the Arts
- "Making a Chair," a poem about the joys of creating something, even when words won't come
- "On Libraries," an impassioned argument for libraries that illuminates their importance to our future and celebrates how they foster readers and daydreamers
Featuring original illustrations by Gaiman's longtime illustrator, Chris Riddell, Art Matters is a stirring testament to the freedom of ideas that inspires us to make art in the face of adversity, and dares us to choose to be bold.
Live the Life of Your Dreams
Bring harmony and balance to every area of your life with this gentle and loving guide to beautiful living. Use the energy of bliss to transform yourself, healing your spirit and aligning with your most ideal flow.
In her lighthearted, easy-to-read style, Tess Whitehurst introduces you to the nine life keys: serenity, life path, synchronicity, creativity, romance, radiance, prosperity, resilience, and synergy. Through simple, soul-nourishing metaphysical techniques, learn how to manifest your true desires and reconnect with your natural state of bliss. This remarkable book's holistic blend of Eastern wisdom and alchemical essences fuels your personal evolution with affirming rituals, symbols, deities, herbs, and many more energetically potent tools. The Art of Bliss is more than a guide--it's a way of life, serving as the trusty compass on your lifelong spiritual path.
"Joseph Campbell said to 'follow your bliss, ' but who knows how to find it? Tess Whitehurst will show you how."--Penney Peirce, author of Frequency and The Intuitive Way
"The Art of Bliss is an outstanding work that is destined to become a classic."--Melissa Alvarez, author of 365 Ways to Raise Your Frequency
Play with art like never before in this exciting new activity book from the best-selling author of the Let's Make Some Great Art series.Marion Deuchars has created a surprising and engaging range of activities and games organized into seven sections of Drawing, Color, Shapes, Paint, Paper, Printing, and Pattern. Each section is not only a great opportunity to play, but also helps to shape and form artistic ability and confidence. Discover the joys of making your own marbled paper. Create your own language in pictures. Providing hours of endless fun and exploration, Art Play will bring out the artist in everyone.