Lonely Planet's Hindi, Urdu & Bengali Phrasebook & Dictionary is your passport to the most relevant phrases and vocab for all your travel needs. Get more from your multi-country trip with easy-to-find phrases for Hindi, Urdu & Bengali. Ask for directions in dynamic Delhi, book a river trip through Bangladeshi countryside, or haggle like a local at street bazaars -all with your trusted travel companion. With language tools in your back pocket, you can truly get to the heart of wherever you go, so begin your journey now
Coverage Includes: Hindi, Urdu & Bengali.
Organized by language, this one-stop resource makes travelling through multiple countries simple. With each language you can:
- Feel at ease with essential tips on culture, manners, idioms and multiple meanings
- Order with confidence, explain food allergies, and try new foods with the menu decoder
- Save time and hassles with vital phrases at your fingertips
- Never get stuck for words with the 400-word two-way, quick-reference dictionary
- Be prepared for common and emergency travel situations with practical phrases and terminology
- Meet friends with conversation starter phrases
- Get your message across with easy-to-use pronunciation guides
Inside Lonely Planet's Hindi, Urdu & Bengali Phrasebook & Dictionary:
- Full-color throughout
- User-friendly layout organized by travel scenario categories
- Survival phrases inside front cover for at-a-glance on-the-fly cues
- Language map for quick reference
- Basics - time, dates, numbers, pronunciations, reading tips, grammar rules, common language difficulties
- Practical - sightseeing, banking, post office, internet, phones, repairs, bargaining, accommodations, directions, border crossing, transport
- Social - meeting people, interests, feelings, opinions, going out, romance, culture, weather
- Safe Travel - emergencies, police, doctor, chemist, dentist, symptoms, conditions
- Food - ordering, at-the-market, at- the-bar, dishes, ingredients
The Perfect Choice: Lonely Planet's Hindi, Urdu & Bengali Phrasebook & Dictionary, a pocket-sized, comprehensive multi-language guide, provides on-the-go language assistance. Great for language students and travellers looking to interact with locals and immerse themselves in local culture.
- Looking for more? Check out Lonely Planet's India phrasebook for coverage of 15 languages spoken in India.
- Check out our Fast Talk Phrasebook mobile app for on-the-go language needs. (Available languages: German, Latin Spanish, European Spanish, French, and Italian.)
About Lonely Planet: Started in 1973, Lonely Planet is the world's leading travel guide publisher with guidebooks to every destination on the planet, and has been connecting travellers and locals for over 25 years with phrasebooks for 120 languages.
Lonely Planet: The world's leading travel guide publisher
Hindi and Urdu are generally considered to be one spoken language with two different literary traditions. This means that Hindi and Urdu speakers who shop in the same markets (and watch the same Bollywood films) have no problems understanding each other. Bengali is spoken by approximately 220 million people, ranking it as the fourth most spoken language in the world.
This book gives you the practical phrases you need to get by in Hindi, Urdu and Bengali, as well as all the fun, spontaneous phrases that can lead to a better understanding of its speakers. Once you've got the hang of how to pronounce the language, the rest is just a matter of confidence. Local knowledge, new relationships and a sense of satisfaction are on the tip of your tongue. So don't just stand there, say something
Lonely Planet gets you to the heart of a place. Our job is to make amazing travel experiences happen. We visit the places we write about each and every edition. We never take freebies for positive coverage, so you can always rely on us to tell it like it is.
Authors: Written and researched by Lonely Planet, Richard Delacy, and Shahara Ahmed.
About Lonely Planet: Started in 1973, Lonely Planet has become the world's leading travel guide publisher with guidebooks to every destination on the planet, as well as an award-winning website, a suite of mobile and digital travel products, and a dedicated traveller community. Lonely Planet's mission is to enable curious travellers to experience the world and to truly get to the heart of the places they find themselves in.
TripAdvisor Travelers' Choice Awards 2012 and 2013 winner in Favorite Travel Guide category
'Lonely Planet guides are, quite simply, like no other.' - New York Times
'Lonely Planet. It's on everyone's bookshelves; it's in every traveller's hands. It's on mobile phones. It's on the Internet. It's everywhere, and it's telling entire generations of people how to travel the world.' - Fairfax Media (Australia)
Whether you're a school or university student or studying for work or pleasure this is the ultimate Urdu reference dictionary.This dictionary is aimed at speakers of English who want to learn Urdu. - Two-way dictionary: Urdu-English, English- Urdu including transliteration throughout.
- 4000 headwords.
- Contains handy sections teaching Urdu script and grammar.
- Insights from the author give extra help and guidance on usage.
- Covers everyday idioms and expressions.
- Includes new terms related to media and internet Urdu. Written by a university professor with years of teaching experience this dictionary will help support your studies. Want to learn more? Why not check out Teach Yourself Languages Online? Over 65 languages all available online from Teach Yourself.
- Bidirectional Hindi-English and English-Hindi sections
- Designed specifically to meet the needs of English speakers
- All Hindi terms are given in both Romanized and Devanagari forms
- Contains over 14,000 essential words and expressions
- Latest computer, smartphone, Internet and social media vocabulary
- Provides an overview of Hindi in contemporary India and a pronunciation guide
Master Hindi grammar and broaden your vocabulary with your very own Hindi Tutor. This contemporary interactive workbook features 200 activities across a range of grammar and vocabulary points with clear goals, concise explanations, and real-world tasks. By studying and practising Hindi grammar you'll understand how the language really works and be able to speak Hindi with clarity and ease.
What will I learn?
The Hindi Tutor: Grammar and Vocabulary Workbook covers a comprehensive range of the most useful and common grammar and vocabulary in Hindi. You can follow along unit by unit, or dip in and dip out to address your weak areas. As you progress, you will be introduced to new vocabulary and combine it with the grammar to complete extensive exercises. You will then practice the language through authentic reading and writing practice. You will achieve a solid upper intermediate level* of Hindi grammar.
Is this course for me?
The Hindi Tutor: Grammar and Vocabulary Workbook can be used as a standalone course or as a complement to any other Hindi course. It offers extensive practice and review of essential grammar points and vocabulary and skills building along with an overview of Hindi script. The personal tutor element points out exceptions and gives tips to really help you perfect your Hindi.
What do I get?
This Hindi workbook offers a range of clear and effective learning features:
-200 activities across a range of grammar and vocabulary points
-Unique visuals and infographics for extra context and practice
-Personal tutor hints and tips to help you understand language rules and culture points
-Learn to learn section offers tips and advice on how to be a successful language learner
Twenty short learning units each contain:
-communication goals to guide your studies
-grammar explanations with extensive exercises
-vocabulary presentations and activities
-reading and writing sections to consolidate your learning
*This workbook maps from from A2 Beginner to B1 Upper Intermediate level of the CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages) and Novice High to Advanced Mid-level proficiency of ACTFL (American Council on Teaching Foreign Languages) guidelines.
Rely on Teach Yourself, trusted by language learners for over 75 years.
- Contains 300 flash cards featuring the most common Hindi words and phrases.
- Each card has one main vocabulary item plus four other related items. Frequently-used idioms are also given. This set of cards contains over 1,500 words and phrases
- Sample Hindi sentences are provided for each main word (in both Hindi script and romanized form) showing you how it is used, with English translations.
- A handy organizer ring allows you to create smaller sets of cards you can carry around easily in your pocket or purse, to look at when you have spare time.
- A study guide is included explaining how to use the cards for effective language learning.
- A free audio CD with native speaker pronunciations
Teach Yourself Hindi Dictionary provides a comprehensive vocabulary and a concise grammar section. Idiomatic usage is also covered to create a dictionary that is easy to use.