All the Skills You Need to Navigate Unfamiliar Terrain
*FULL-SIZE fold-out USGS map included for hands-on practice and training *
When eleven climbers died on K2 in 2008, two Sherpas survived. Their astonishing tale became the stuff of mountaineering legend. This white-knuckle adventure follows the Sherpas from their remote villages in Nepal to the peak of the world's most dangerous mountain, recounting one of the most dramatic disasters in alpine history from a fascinating new perspective.
Winner of the NCTE George Orwell Award and an official selection of the American Alpine Club Book Club.
- With crucial information added from across the Worst-Case series and 20 all-new scenarios for twenty-first century threats (extreme weather, fake news, dropping a cell phone in the toilet).
- Expert - and humorous - advice for extreme situations including great escapes and entrances (how to escape from a sinking car), tooth and claw (how to escape from killer bees), technical trouble (how to survive an out-of-control autonomous car), and adventure survival (how to survive an avalanche).
- Makes a great gift and reference guide for those who like to be prepared for whatever might happen
Every year around the globe, people cross paths with avalanches--some massive, some no deeper than a pizza box--with deadly results. Avalanche expert Jill Fredston stalks these so-called freaks of nature, forecasting where and when they will strike, deliberately triggering them with explosives, teaching potential victims how to stay alive, and leading rescue efforts when tragedy strikes.In Snowstruck, Fredston draws on decades of personal experience to take "avalanches out of the statistical realm and into the human one" (Skiing Magazine): a skier making what may prove his final decision, a victim buried so tightly that he can't move a finger, rescuers racing both time and weather, forecasters treading the line between reasonable risk and danger. Fredston brings to life the awesome forces of nature that can turn the mountains deadly--and the equally inexorable forces of human nature that lure us time and again into treacherous terrain.
Here in this critical guide is all the important safety techniques that you'll need to know in order to survive in just about any condition. From designing a makeshift earthquake shelter to constructing a water well, The Complete U.S. Army Survival Guide to Shelter Skills, Tactics, and Techniques has got you covered. Within these pages, you'll find information on the best way to:
- Choose the best building materials.
- Select the best ambushing positions in any situation.
- Construct an underground bunker.
- And hundreds of more techniques and skills
With dozens of photographs and illustrations demonstrating these sheltering techniques and procedures first-hand, this guide is an essential read for every outdoorsman--from the novice weekend camper to the most seasoned survivalist. If you can't find it in The Complete U.S. Army Survival Guide to Shelter Skills, Tactics, and Techniques, then you don't really need it.