Outward Bound Canoeing Handbook is a handy, illustrated resource on the fundamentals of canoeing, including solid, sound instruction on all aspects of canoeing, from types of canoes to equipment choices, paddle and on-the-water techniques, safety tips, an
Wait, young Douglas's grandfather says as the bobber twitches on the surface of Little Lake. Be patient. And so begins an encounter with the promise and wonder of nature that will last a lifetime. Deep Woods, Wild Waters traces the winding path that carried Douglas Wood from one wonder to the next, through a landscape of rocks, woods, and waters, with stops along the way for questions and reflections that link human nature to the larger mysteries of the natural world.
Like life itself, the author's way is not linear. One landmark leads back to a favorite campsite, another prompts him to consider the "gospel of rocks," another launches him into the wilderness beyond the stars--a contemplation of time and space and humanity's place in all of it. The creator of thirty-four books, including the classic Old Turtle, and an expert woodsman and wilderness canoe guide, Wood brings all his storytelling and bushwhacking skills to bear as he takes us hurtling down wild rapids, crossing stormy lakes, or simply navigating the treacherous currents and twisty trails of everyday life.
A warm, generous, and knowing guide, Wood maps a journey that, as he says, "anyone can take, through a landscape anyone can know." Turning the pages, hiking the portages, running the rapids, or scanning the wild country from high promontory, he invites us to say, in a soul-satisfying moment of recognition, "I know that place."
The follow up to the bestselling phenomenon The Daring Book for Girls--an even more daring guide to everything from making a raft to learning how to play football to the art of the Japanese Tea Ceremony.
In response to the resounding success of The Daring Book for Girls comes a second volume with all original material that promises to be full of even more daring adventure than the first. Girls will learn how to surf, horseback riding tips, April Fools Day history and pranks, how to make a labyrinth, how to sing, all about cowgirls, and how to organize a croquet tournament. Just as packed with creative and exciting material as the original, but double the fun, The Double-Daring Book for Girls is an adventure guidebook of stories, activities, facts, and games for daring girls everywhere.
- A Hike for Everyone: Pick the right hike for you, from breathtaking coastal walks to challenging backcountry treks, with options ranging from easy day hikes to multi-day backpacking trips
- Best Hikes Lists: Choose from strategic lists of the best hikes for kids, bird-watching, redwoods, vivid fall colors, waterfalls, wheelchair-accessibility, and more
- Essential Planning Details: Each hike is marked with round-trip distance and estimated hiking time, as well as rated for scenic beauty and trail difficulty
- Maps and Directions: Find easy-to-use maps, driving directions to each trailhead, and details on where to park
- Skip the Crowds: Have the trail to yourself with recommended off-the-radar hikes
- Expert Advice: Seasoned hikers Tom Stienstra and Ann Marie Brown offer their trusted insight and honest opinions on each trail
- Tips and Tools: Advice on gear, first aid, camping permits, and ethical hiking, plus background information on climate, landscape, and wildlife
Whether you're a veteran or a first-time hiker, Moon's comprehensive coverage and honest expertise will have you gearing up for your next adventure.
Exploring more of the Golden State? Try Moon California Camping. Hitting the road? Check out Moon California Road Trip.
In the evocative words of one of America's best-loved nature writers, Wilderness Days brings together the essence of the magnificent wilderness with which he so deeply identifies. Sigurd F. Olson collects from his writings those moments that most vividly depict the turn of the seasons in the great woodlands and waters of the legendary Quetico-Superior region overlapping the Ontario-Minnesota border.
Finally, here's a guide for people who love good food and the great outdoors. Campfire Cuisine provides more than 100 recipes for delicious, healthy, satisfying meals to make at your campsite or in any outdoor setting. Also included are tips on meal planning, shopping, and choosing the right equipment. Armed with Campfire Cuisine everyone from die-hard foodies to novice cooks will be ready to take on eating well while camping out.
The story of Chris McCandless, a young man who embarked on a solo journey into the wilds of Alaska and whose body was discovered four months later, explores the fascinating allure that the wilderness has for the American imagination