Perfect for expecting parents who want to provide a soothing home for the newest member of their family, "The Happiest Baby on the Block, "the national bestseller by respected pediatrician and child development expert Dr. Harvey Karp, is a revolutionary method for calming a crying infant and promoting healthy sleep from day one.
In perhaps the most important parenting book of the decade, Dr. Harvey Karp reveals an extraordinary treasure sought by parents for centuries an automatic off-switch for their baby s crying.
No wonder pediatricians across the country are praising him and thousands of Los Angeles parents, from working moms to superstars like Madonna and Pierce Brosnan, have turned to him to learn the secrets for making babies happy.
Never again will parents have to stand by helpless and frazzled while their poor baby cries and cries. Dr. Karp has found there IS a remedy for colic. I share with parents techniques known only to the most gifted baby soothers throughout history and I explain exactly how they work.
In a innovative and thought-provoking reevaluation of early infancy, Dr. Karp blends modern science and ancient wisdom to prove that newborns are not fully ready for the world when they are born. Through his research and experience, he has developed four basic principles that are crucial for understanding babies as well as improving their sleep and soothing their senses:
The Missing Fourth Trimester: as odd as it may sound, one of the main reasons babies cry is because they are born three months too soon.
The Calming Reflex: the automatic reset switch to stop crying of any baby in the first few months of life.
The 5 S s: the simple steps (swaddling, side/stomach position, shushing, swinging and sucking) that trigger the calming reflex. For centuries, parents have tried these methods only to fail because, as with a knee reflex, the calming reflex only works when it is triggered in precisely the right way. Unlike other books that merely list these techniques Dr. Karp teaches parents exactly how to do them, to guide cranky infants to calm and easy babies to serenity in minutes and help them sleep longer too.
The Cuddle Cure: the perfect mix the 5 S s that can soothe even the most colicky of infants.
In the book, Dr. Karp also explains:
What is colic?
Why do most babies get much more upset in the evening?
How can a parent calm a baby in mere minutes?
Can babies be spoiled?
When should a parent of a crying baby call the doctor?
How can a parent get their baby to sleep a few hours longer?
Even the most loving moms and dads sometimes feel pushed to the breaking point by their infant s persistent cries. Coming to the rescue, however, Dr. Karp places in the hands of parents, grandparents, and all childcare givers the tools they need to be able to calm their babies almost as easily as turning off a light."
2. The Calming Reflex: An "off switch" all babies are born with
3. The 5 S's: Five easy steps to turn on your baby's amazing calming reflex
4. The Cuddle Cure: How to combine the 5 S's to calm even colicky babies With Dr. Karp's sensible advice, parents and grandparents, nurses and nannies, will be able to transform even the fussiest infant into the happiest baby on the block Praise for The Happiest Baby on the Block "Dr. Karp's book is fascinating and will guide new parents for years to come."--Julius Richmond, M.D., Harvard Medical School, former Surgeon General of the United States "The Happiest Baby on the Block is fun and convincing. I highly recommend it."--Elisabeth Bing, co-founder of Lamaze International "Will fascinate anyone who wants to know how babies experience the world, and wants to answer their cries lovingly and effectively."--The San Diego Union-Tribune
**Winner, National Parenting Product Award
From celebrated children's-food author Lisa Barnes, Cooking for Baby is a fully illustrated, gorgeous, four-color book that takes parents through the basics of preparing nutritious, delicious (and easy ) meals for your child, from six to eighteen months.Parents today know that one of the best ways to give a baby a great start in life is with wholesome, homemade foods. While ready-made baby food is a convenience that any new parent can appreciate, feeding everyday fresh foods is the best way to teach a child healthy eating habits and an appreciation for good food from the cradle onward. The eighty recipes in Cooking for Baby make preparing delicious meals for babies and toddlers a breeze, even for busy parents. The recipes are organized by age, showing how to introduce cereal grains and simple vegetable and fruit purees to your infant at six months, how to move on to chunkier foods by eight or nine months, and how to graduate to real meals for young toddlers of twelve to eighteen months to enjoy along with the entire family. When you see how easy it is, with a few smart tips on preparation and storage, you'll never go back to the jars. With Cooking for Baby, your youngster will enjoy a wide variety of fresh and interesting foods for a very happy and healthy beginning.
All parents want to provide the very best care for their children. This essential resource from the most respected organization on child health is the one guide pediatricians routinely recommend and parents can safely trust, covering everything from preparing for childbirth to toilet training to nurturing your child's self-esteem. Whether it's resolving common childhood health problems or detailed instructions for coping with emergency medical situations, this new and revised edition of Caring for Your Baby and Young Child has everything you need: - a review of necessary basic care from infancy through age five
- milestones for physical, emotional, social, and cognitive growth, including red flags for preventing obesity
- a complete health encyclopedia covering injuries, illnesses, congenital diseases, and other disabilities
- guidelines for prenatal and newborn care, with spotlights on maternal nutrition, exercise, and screening tests during pregnancy
- an in-depth discussion of breastfeeding, including its benefits, techniques, and challenges, as well as nutritional needs and vitamin/iron supplementation
- updated safety standards: the very latest AAP recommendations, from CPR instruction and immunizations to childproofing tips and product and toy safety
- tips for choosing child care programs and car safety seats
- ways to reduce your child's exposure to environmental hazards, such as air pollution and secondhand smoke
- the latest reports on cutting-edge research into early brain development
- updated content dedicated to sleep and allergies (including food allergies)
- new chapter on the effects of media and technology exposure on children
- special messages for grandparents and stepfamilies
- and much more
Discover the gentle art of Infant Massage...In this completely updated version of her renowned classic, Vimala McClure, founder of the International Association of Infant Massage, and its premier proponent in the United States, helps you master the techniques of infant massage so you can incorporate this joyful and wonderful healing art into your baby's life. She shows you why a daily massage can be one of the greatest gifts you give your child...and yourself. For generations mothers the world over have known that the soft stroke of their hands soothes, calms, and communicates their love to their babies. Now scientific research proves that massage can do all that and more. In Infant Massage, McClure shares how massage benefits children--easing discomfort, releasing tension, helping premature infants gain weight, even helping asthmatic children improve breathing function. She explains each step of the massage process with simple easy-to-follow instructions and delightful photographs demonstrating each stroke. You'll also find:
Specific routines tailored to help relieve colic, fever, chest and nasal congestion
Modified instructions for premature infants and babies with special needs
Helpful hints on dealing with crying and fussing
Lullabies, rhymes, and games to enhance the massage experience
Guidance for teaching children about "good touch"
A special chapter dedicated to fathers
Compassionate advice for foster and adoptive parents
And much more
- Clear, calm advice on breastfeeding--preparing to nurse, latching techniques, when to feed, and more
- How to spot and manage the causes of low supply and milk slumps--from mastitis to your baby's natural growth spurts
- What to eat when you're nursing--from superfoods like avocado to naturally lactogenic (milk-boosting) foods like oats and papaya
- Plus, 75 recipes packed with goodness that the whole family can enjoy
A breakthrough approach for a good night's sleep--with no tears
There are two schools of thought for encouraging babies to sleep through the night: the hotly debated Ferber technique of letting the baby "cry it out," or the grin-and-bear-it solution of getting up from dusk to dawn as often as necessary. If you don't believe in letting your baby cry it out, but desperately want to sleep, there is now a third option, presented in Elizabeth Pantley's sanity-saving book The No-Cry Sleep Solution.
Pantley's successful solution has been tested and proven effective by scores of mothers and their babies from across the United States, Canada, and Europe. Based on her research, Pantley's guide provides you with effective strategies to overcoming naptime and nighttime problems. The No-Cry Sleep Solution offers clearly explained, step-by-step ideas that steer your little ones toward a good night's sleep--all with no crying.
Tips from The No-Cry Sleep Solution:
- Uncover the stumbling blocks that prevent baby from sleeping through the night
- Determine--and work with--baby's biological sleep rhythms
- Create a customized, step-by-step plan to get baby to sleep through the night
- Use the Persistent Gentle Removal System to teach baby to fall asleep without breast-feeding, bottlefeeding, or using a pacifier
Filled with practical advice for new parents, this candid, useful guide to surviving the newborn's first year covers circumcision, ear infections, temper tantrums, and thumb sucking, as well as autism, vaccines, and food allergies. Original.