This guide to Alaskan wild plants, native and introduced, can be used to promote health and healing, use for emergency first-aid care, or to maintain wellness. More than fifty plant species are described with information on habitat and distribution as well as general information on how each one can be used as medicine. This natural history of some of Alaska's medicinal plants is not intended to serve the purpose of a self-care manual of medicine. Dr. Eleanor G. Viereck presents useful and fascinating information about trees, flowers, and shrubs accompanied by accurately rendered line drawing of the vegetation.
Dr. Viereck tells where to find each plant. She also discusses plant collecting in general and how to brew healthful herb teas. An illustrated glossary, cross-references t therapeutic uses of specific plants, and a thorough biblioraphy completes this valuable contribution to plant lore.
The first edition of Bioactive Compounds from Natural Sources was published in a period of renewed attention to biologically active compounds of natural origin. This trend has continued and intensified-natural products are again under the spotlight, in particular for their possible pharmacological applications. Largely focusing on natural products as lead compounds in drug discovery, Bioactive Compounds from Natural Sources, Second Edition: Natural Products as Lead Compounds in Drug Discovery is actually a completely new volume containing surveys of selected recent advances in an interdisciplinary area covering chemistry of natural products, medicinal chemistry, biochemistry, and other related topics.
Written by some of the most reputed scientists in the field, this second edition includes new chapters from authors who contributed to the first edition as well as many chapters compiled by new authors. Introducing the reader to strategies and methods in the search for bioactive natural products, this book covers topics including:
- Natural sources of bioactive compounds such as aquatic cyanobacteria, filamentous fungi, and tropical plants,
- The tremendous potentiality of metabolic engineering of natural products biosynthesis
- The contribution of emerging or developing technologies to the study of bioactive natural compounds, namely computational methods and circular dichroism
- The potential of natural or natural-derived compounds for specific therapeutic applications: treatment of viral diseases, regulation of hypoxia-inducible factor, antimalarials, modulation of angiogenesis, and antitumor and wound-healing activity
- Selected examples of natural product families and related synthetic analogues, namely polyphenols and campthotecins
Compiled for researchers and Ph.D. students working in interdisciplinary fields, this book will also be appreciated by readers without a background in chemistry interested in bioactive natural products, their biological and pharmacological properties, and their possible use as chemopreventive or chemotherapeutic agents. Conversely, the biological and pharmacological data and methods are accessible by chemists.
Biologically Active Natural Products: Pharmaceuticals demonstrates the connections between agrochemicals and pharmaceuticals and explores the use of plants and plant products in the formulation and development of pharmaceuticals. Experts from around the world examine a multitude of topics, including evaluation of extracts from tropical plants for potential anticancer activity and cancer chemopreventive activity; use of Chinese lacquer tree sap products as pharmaceutical intermediates; and new approaches to drug discovery from the rainforest.
- The first book to fully explore the extraordinary effectiveness of black cumin against immune-system disorders, allergies, asthma, and skin problems.- Written by the world's foremost experts on black cumin. - Includes precise directions for preparation and specific recipes for treating a variety of ailments. The extraordinary healing powers of black cumin have been known for centuries in the Middle East where the Prophet Mohammed himself declared: Black cumin heals every disease except for death. It enjoyed wide use in ancient Egypt as a digestive aid and as an effective medicine for colds, headaches, toothaches, and infections. Because of its complex chemical structure--it has over one hundred active ingredients--black cumin has positive effects on the respiratory, immune, circulatory, digestive, and urinary systems. It is enormously effective against asthma, stomach ailments, and numerous skin conditions, ranging from acne to psoriasis. It also has been the subject of intensive scientific research indicating that it strengthens and stabilizes the immune system and is greatly beneficial in the treatment of allergies. It has even been found to be beneficial in the treatment of impotence when the causes are primarily physiological. This book will serve as an invaluable resource for anyone interested in the healing properties of this incredible plant. It contains everything you need to know in order to use black cumin for the prevention and treatment of illness, including specific recipes for infections and allergies, and precise directions for their preparation. The authors even provide a section on the use of black cumin as a beauty aid and as a culinary staple.
He's baaaack World-renowned pot connoisseur and acclaimed photographer Jason King continues his quest to share yet another outstanding collection of marijuana strains and informative, mouthwatering tasting notes. Never one to call it a day, King has been traveling the globe nonstop since his acclaimed first book was published, to bring us more of the choicest kind-and fans and aficionados alike will not be disappointed Featuring more than 200 carefully chosen cannabis strains, as well as his signature photomicrography, THE CANNABIBLE 2 is gloriously visual and entertaining and takes the experience of referencing buds and plants to a whole new level. Find out which strain Jason considers to be the Holy Grail, which buds will give a major jolt to the creativity circuit, and the high that's most likely to cause a change in your plans for the day. In glorious spreads and sidebars, King also delves into such intriguing subjects as the marijuana-chocolate connection, the tolerance factor, the medical marijuana movement, and much more. A testament to his dedication to documenting the finest marijuana, THE CANNABIBLE 2 is a book you'll return to again and again. There's no doubt: The Mothership has landed- The must-have follow-up to Jason King's best-selling book, THE CANNABIBLE-with new strains, detailed tasting notes, and more of everything that made #1 great. - A pioneer in his field, Jason King has developed a unique vocabulary to describe the tastes, aromas, and effects of marijuana. - Includes incredible photos of rare and outrageously expensive smoking paraphernalia.
Nearly all cultures, from ancient times to today, have used plants as a source of medicine. In many developing countries, traditional medicine is still the mainstay of health care and most of the drugs and cures used come from plants. In developed countries many people are turning to herbal remedies. With this widespread use has come the assumption that plants identified as having medicinal qualities will be available on a continuing basis. However no concerted effort has been made to ensure this and in the face of the threats of increasing demand, a vastly increasing human population and extensive forest destruction, there can be no guarantee that we will continue to benefit indefinitely from this valuable resource. In light of this situation the World Health Organisation held a meeting in 1988. This book is the outcome of that meeting, detailing in a series of papers by leading experts the problems of which need to be addressed, the existing experiences from a range of countries and the future direction which must be taken to ensure the conservation of the world's medicinal plants.
Medicinal plants are used traditionally for preparing herbal medicines and remedies. They are also used in manufacturing and developing contemporary medicines. This book attempts to compile the current researches and experiments in the field of medicinal plants that focus on identifying new species of herbal plants, analysing their characteristics and properties, and examine their emerging applications. Some of the important topics elucidated herein are plant nutrition and physiology, phytochemical properties, pharmacognosy, etc. Researchers and students engaged in this field will find this book helpful.
The plant' is often the most neglected part of plant-based medicine. Throughout time, humans have searched, collected, and effectively used plants for healing. Currently, the medicinal plant-based business is flourishing at a dramatic pace and at the expense of an already declining population of plant species, many of which are on the verge of extinction. In spite of this history and popularity, the mystery of what transforms a plant into a medicinal plant persists, and there are chronic problems with ensuring the safety and efficacy of medicinal plant products. Therefore, there is a real need for a full characterization of medicinal plant species and for the development and application of novel technologies for the production of plant-based medicines.
This book highlights some of the recent advances and new approaches to the development of technologies for plant-based medicines and is intended to stimulate new discussions among researchers, regulatory authorities, and pharmaceutical organizations, leading to significant advancements in the field.
The 38 Bach Flower Remedies, which are made from wild, non-poisonous flowers, offer a simple means to establish inner harmony. This essential dictionary lists the positive and negative qualities associated with each remedy.
i>Edible and Medicinal Plants of the West is a full-color photographic guide to the identification, edibility, and medicinal uses of over 250 plant species, growing from Alaska to southern California, east across the Rocky Mountains and the Northern Plains to the Great Lakes. Herbalist and naturalist Gregory Tilford provides a thorough introduction to the world of herbal medicine for everyone interested in plants, personal well-being, and a healthy environment.