The second half of life is a journey into unknown territory--a safari like the one that inspired this deeply renewing and inspiring book. Drawing upon ancient wisdom and modern research for guidance, Richard Leider and David Shapiro invite you on a journey back to the primordial rhythms--back to a time and place where we are better able to clarify for ourselves what really matters in our lives. They share stories from their own lives and of others facing midlife and beyond, stories that exemplify the qualities of authenticity and wholeheartedness that are the essential components of vital aging. And they offer up positive practices that can help us save and savor the world: live an authentic life of purpose and meaning while balancing our lives with vitality and joy
Not only accepting but also celebrating getting old, this inspirational and illuminating book looks at the many facets of the aging process, from purposes and challenges to struggles and surprises. Central throughout is a call to cherish the blessing of aging as a natural part of life that is active, productive, and deeply rewarding. Perhaps the most important dimension revealed lies in the awareness that there is a purpose to aging and intention built into every stage of life. Chittister reflects on many key issues, including the temptation towards isolation, the need to stay involved, the importance of health and well-being, what happens when old relationships end or shift, the fear of tomorrow, and the mystery of forever. Readers are encouraged to surmount their fears of getting older and find beauty in aging well.
A New York Times Bestseller
An extraordinary look at what it means to grow old and a heartening guide to well-being, Happiness Is a Choice You Make weaves together the stories and wisdom of six New Yorkers who number among the "oldest old"--those eighty-five and up.
In 2015, when the award-winning journalist John Leland set out on behalf of The New York Times to meet members of America's fastest-growing age group, he anticipated learning of challenges, of loneliness, and of the deterioration of body, mind, and quality of life. But the elders he met took him in an entirely different direction. Despite disparate backgrounds and circumstances, they each lived with a surprising lightness and contentment. The reality Leland encountered upended contemporary notions of aging, revealing the late stages of life as unexpectedly rich and the elderly as incomparably wise.
Happiness Is a Choice You Make is an enduring collection of lessons that emphasizes, above all, the extraordinary influence we wield over the quality of our lives. With humility, heart, and wit, Leland has crafted a sophisticated and necessary reflection on how to "live better"--informed by those who have mastered the art.
You can. It's possible. And the proof is inside this very book. Becoming Ageless: The Four Secrets to Looking and Feeling Younger Than Ever is the result of years of research into the science of longevity, written by a man who looks and feels eternal. He made it work, and it will work for you.
On this easy and effective plan, you'll:
* Lose stubborn belly fat and watch the pounds melt away.
* Enjoy amazing meals, workouts, and a sense of community.
* Look and feel noticeabley younger--for life
Developed by media mogul Strauss Zelnick--founder of the private equity firm Zelnick Media Capital (ZMC) and Chairman and CEO of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc.--the strategies contained inside are the same ones he used to evolve from a skinny business executive to "America's fittest CEO."
In Becoming Ageless, you'll discover:
* An easy and effective program for everyone that will help you flatten your gut and become healthier than you ever thought possible.
* Delicious, healthy, and easy-to-make recipes including hearty breakfasts, easy-to-make lunches, filling dinners, and even desserts.
* A full workout plan that will sculpt your body and help you prevent back pain and sleep better.
* A holistic mind/body approach that really works. Look and feel better than ever without deprivation dieting, counting calories--or ever feeling hungry
With Becoming Ageless, you'll feel fitter, sharper, and more energized than ever before--with the body of someone half your age
They are still bohemian iconoclasts saying what you don't expect to hear. They will tell you things aren't what they used to be--when a thirty-year-old guy arrives at a party and does not even glance at you; when you wake up feeling great and everyone tells you how tired you look; you know you're an adult when you're excited just to go home.
Neuroses vs. confidence, resistance vs. acceptance, passion vs. serenity, de Maigret and Mas through spirited short stories capture the different stages of ageing--as nostalgic but modern Parisian women. From the privately absurd to the strangely universal, this book captures moments of everyday life that will make the reader nod, cringe, and laugh out loud.
"This is the thing, you see: I am on my way to being an old man. But at sixty, I am still the youngest of old men."As acclaimed journalist and author Ian Brown's sixtieth birthday loomed, every moment seemed to present a choice: Confront, or deny, the biological fact that the end was now closer than the beginning. Brown chose instead to notice every moment--to try to capture precisely what he was experiencing, without panicking. Sixty is the result: an uncensored, seriocomic report, a slalom of day-to-day dramas (as husband, father, brother, friend, and neighbor), inquisitive reporting, and acute insights from the line between middle-aged and soon-to-be-elderly.
With the voice of a close friend, this clever and witty guide from bestselling duo Trisha Ashworth and Amy Nobile takes women through the new and sometimes challenging midlife phase, with chapters including:- Redefining what beauty means after age 40... and that there is beauty after age 40
- How to care for yourself when you're also caring for growing children and aging parents
- Navigating midlife relationships and dating (did someone say dating apps )
- Discovering new career paths and new meaning in your life Whether married, single, widowed, divorced, with children or without, at some point women inevitably ask the question, What's next for me? Here, they will find a road map for how to embrace and thrive in this new phase of life. With helpful quizzes, friendly advice, and inspiring quotes from women who have been there, this smart and engaging book gives readers the tools to turn a midlife crisis into a midlife opportunity. As seen on Oprah, Trisha and Amy share their own perspectives and experiences to bring clarity, guidance and support while reassuring readers they're not only on the right track... but that the best years are still to come.
Sixty Things To Do When You Turn Sixty is a collection of essays that speaks to the reader who has or will soon turn 60. The collection includes essays that are practical, covering subjects like health care, fitness, finance, and business, and also essays that are more reflective, more whimsical, or more reassuring ? or just plain laugh-out-loud funny. All royalties are donated to cancer research.
This, the 12th in Firefly Books' series of small-format books that focuses on a variety of topics but especially wellness and spirituality, addresses a universal interest: long life. But we don't want just years, we want years that are healthy and rewarding. The Longevity Bible explains how the aging process works and what you can do to enjoy a better quality of life for longer.
Sadly, there is no magical elixir but this book can help readers gain a new perspective on aging and how to optimize their longevity. It reveals what history, biology, Eastern philosophy, Western science and the findings of top medical experts and researchers can teach us about maintaining optimal health as we move through our lives. The author explains the important role that sleep, moderation, diet, a sense of purpose, connection, love and curiosity have in helping us to live well and live happily.
The topic of longevity is approached first by what we have long known about living longer and the practices and beliefs from around the world that have emerged in the pursuit of a long life, with varying results. The second section is about the science and technology currently understood and being researched thanks to the universal desire for a longer life. The final section steps back to consider what we have learned, and provides 20 of the most important tips for health and longevity.
Part 1: The Old
- Breathing; Relaxation; Posture; Balance; Body Language; Diet; Sleep; Yoga; Qigong and Taijiquan (Tai Chi); Massage and Acupuncture; Personality; Love and Laughter; Cultural Norms; Meditation and Spiritual Awareness; Sense of Purpose; Advice from My Grandmother; Being in the Zone
Part 2: The New
- Health and Fitness; Inflammation; Hormones; Lymphatic System; Neuroplasticity; Psychology; Stem Cells; Tissue Engineering; Drugs and the Placebo Effect; Epigenetics; Biometrics; Immunology; Intelligent Fascia; Quantum Physics and Health
Part 3: Full Circle
- Changing Values; Webs of Understanding; 20 Hot Tips for Health and Longevity.
Like few other books, The Longevity Bible has an existing and growing audience. It is an essential purchase.