About to retire? Over 70 and facing mandatory withdrawal rules? Just inherited money from a retirement plan?
Whether you have an IRA, Roth IRA, 401(k), Keogh or other retirement plan, this book will help you make sense of the rules for taking your money out. Even more important, it will show you how to avoid the stiff taxes and penalties that lurk in the fine print. It covers:
- tax strategies before and after retirement
- required distributions and how much you need to take
- penalties for taking money out early and how to avoid them
- how to divide a plan at divorce
- what happens to your retirement plan after your death, and
- different rules for taking money out of an inherited plan
The 14th edition is completely updated with the latest tables and methods for calculating required minimum distributions. It also covers the special tax benefits for conversions to Roth IRAs and explains how to recharacterize IRA or Roth contributions.
- Building a budget that (gasp) actually works
- Super-charging a debt payoff plan
- How to strategically hack your credit score
- Negotiating like a shark (or at least a piranha)
- Side-hustling to speed up your money goals
- Starting a lazy investment portfolio...and many more
Simply put, with this gamified guide to personal finance, you'll no longer stress about understanding how your finances work--you'll finally "get" money.
In today's work culture, we're expected to hustle around the clock. But what if you could escape the traditional path and get on one that doesn't require working full-time until age 65? What if you could wake up every day without an alarm clock and do the things you love most? Tanja Hester and her husband Mark left their crazed careerist lifestyle to live their dream life in Lake Tahoe, retiring early from high-stress careers. Now Tanja will help you map out a customized plan for freedom and make it easy to succeed, whether you're good at math and budgeting-or not Work Optional is more than just a financial plan: it's a plan for your whole life-designed by you, not by an employer or clients. Tanja walks you through envisioning your dream life, accounting for variables such as health care and children, protecting yourself from recessions and future unknowns, and achieving a purpose-filled early retirement, semi-retirement, or career intermission with completely doable, non-penny-pinching steps. You can live a happier, more meaningful life, free from the daily grind. Regardless of where you are in your career, Work Optional will get you there.
- making a will or living trust
- naming a guardian for your children
- avoiding probate
- choosing an executor
- using durable powers of attorney, and
- preparing a health care directive.
Retire happy and healthy without keeping a million bucks in the bankThe financial-service industry wants you to believe that in order to avoid financial destitution, you need to put aside huge amounts of money that you -- let's say it together -- ""should have begun saving years ago."" Not true, states Ralph Warner, Nolo co-founder and the author of Get a Life. Although a sensible savings plan makes good horse sense, many other actions and decisions will determine whether you enjoy your retirement years. Get a Life shows you how to beat the anxiety surrounding retirement, and to develop a plan to make your golden years the best of your life by: - developing family relationships
- maintaining and creating friendships
- improving health
- keeping active
- developing a robust curiosity for the world
- realistically calculating how much money you need and how to secure it The 5th edition provides the latest research and studies that show physically and mentally active retirees live longer and enjoy happier lives. Get a Life shares with readers sensible ways to ensure a fulfilling retirement ways that have little to do with accumulated wealth and everything to do with quality of life. Warner stresses the importance of: developing family relationships; maintaining and creating friendships; improving health; keeping active; developing a robust curiosity for the world. Conversations with a variety of active, older individuals also featured.
You're in Control of Your Retirement Future
Inside are twenty major financial decisions that could profoundly impact your lifestyle over the next forty years. For many retirees, these decisions come as a surprise and must be made hastily without proper consultation. But by reading the expert, commission-free advice in this fully revised and updated edition, you'll learn how to manage your assets and prepare for the best possible retirement.
-Do I have enough money to retire now?
-How will I cover my medical expenses during retirement?
-When should I begin taking Social Security?
-How much should I invest in stocks, bonds, and cash?
-What criteria should I use to identify the best investments?
-Should I cancel my life insurance policy?
-Should I pay off my mortgage at retirement?
Get the most out of your 401(k) in any economy
Filled with sample 401(k) portfolios for every stage of life
Invest your 401(k) money wisely and make the most of your retirement
Want to know what kind of investment mix you need to make your retirement money grow? Don't know what to do with a 401(k) account from your last job? Worried that your company's 401(k) plan doesn't cut it? Relax This simple, plain-English guide shows you how to manage your accounts, minimize your risks, and maximize your returns.
The Dummies Way
* Explanations in plain English
* "Get in, get out" information
* Icons and other navigational aids
* Tear-out cheat sheet
* Top ten lists
* A dash of humor and fun
A comprehensive guide to planning your retirement before it's too late
Even though half of all Americans put money aside for retirement, it isn't until they reach their sixties that many realize that they haven't saved enough. With The Five Years Before You Retire, you'll hone in on what you need to do in the next five years to maximize your current savings and create a realistic plan for your future. This book guides you through each financial, medical, and familial decision, from taking advantage of the employer match your company offers for your 401k program to enrolling in Medicare to discussing housing options with your family. Covering every aspect of retirement planning, these straightforward strategies explain in detail how you can make the most of your last few years in the workforce and prepare for the future you've always wanted.
Physics, Chemistry, Astronomy, Biology; every field has its intellectual giants who made breakthrough discoveries that changed the course of history. What about the topic of retirement planning? Is it a science? Or is retirement income planning just a collection of rules-of-thumb, financial products and sales pitches? In The 7 Most Important Equations for Your Retirement...And the Stories Behind Them Moshe Milevsky argues that twenty first century retirement income planning is indeed a science and has its foundations in the work of great sages who made conceptual and controversial breakthroughs over the last eight centuries.
In the book Milevsky highlights the work of seven scholars--summarized by seven equations--who shaped all modern retirement calculations. He tells the stories of Leonardo Fibonnaci the Italian businessman; Benjamin Gompertz the gentleman actuary; Edmund Halley the astronomer; Irving Fisher the stock jock; Paul Samuelson the economic guru; Solomon Heubner the insurance and marketing visionary, and Andrey Kolmogorov the Russian mathematical genius--all giants in their respective fields who collectively laid the foundations for modern retirement income planning.
- With baby boomers starting to hit retirement age, planning for retirement income has become a hot topic across the country
- Author Moshe Milevsky is an internationally-respected financial expert with the knowledge you need to assess whether you are ready to retire or not
- Presents an entertaining, informative narrative approach to financial planning
Understanding the ideas behind these seven foundation equations--which Moshe Milevsky explains in a manner that everyone can appreciate--will help baby boomers better prepare for retirement. This is a book unlike anything you have ever read on retirement planning. Think Suze Orman meets Stephen Hawking. If you ever wondered what the point of all that high school mathematics was, Moshe Milevsky's answer is: So that you can figure out how to retire...while you can still enjoy your money.