Master the art and craft of metal jewelry making in your own home studio
Great jewelry is original, well-designed, and -- with the right tools -- can be created at home by the aspiring artist. The Jeweler's Studio Handbook guides you through the process of equipping your own jewelry studio and teaches you the techniques that will have you crafting one-of-a-kind metal jewelry in no time.
Artist Brandon Holschuh walks you through planning your work space, selecting tools and materials, mastering basic metalwork techniques, and applying your new skills to twenty original pieces. In addition, The Jeweler's Studio Handbook encourages novel design, good organization and fearless experimentation, ensuring it will remain an invaluable resource for jewelry artists for years to come.
- Invites you into the world of the home jewelry artist, from workbench to gallery
- Teaches fundamental jewelry-making techniques -- hammering, soldering, riveting, and more -- in full-color photographs
- Illustrates the steps for crafting twenty beautiful pieces of metalwork jewelry, including rings, bracelets, earrings, and pendants
- Features gallery-quality jewelry from dozens of contributing artists
- An exploration of the passions and inspirations that have ignited the creation of sumptuous jewels with a definitively contemporary touch- Presents the stories and designs of leading contemporary jewelry designers working across the globe - France, the USA, Switzerland, Hong Kong, Japan, the UK, Spain, Italy, China, Turkey, Lebanon, Taiwan, India, Germany- Each entry is accompanied by beautiful color photographs of the designer's pieces- Includes a chapter on the new rising stars in the industry High jewellery has entered the 21st century with a spring in its step. Design has been as diverse as it has been innovative. The technical advances of the '90s and the new materials being used by this exuberant group of independent jewellers have helped pave the way to breaking down preconceived ideas of high jewellery. Some enjoy the adventure of finding the rarest of gemstones that speak to them, others seek to tell a tale or relay a secret message to the wearer and thus the onlooker. They are artists, engineers and adventurers; and, above all, they are passionate about their world, using only the best workmanship wherever it is to be found. From the great JAR, to James de Givenchy and Nicholas Varney in the West, and Michelle Ong, Wallace Chan and Bhagat in the East, 21st-Century Jewellery Designers: An Inspired Styleis an exploration into the designers' worlds. Interviews reveal the designers' inspirations and passions, their signature materials, designing processes, and how their personalities influence their designs. Designers featured: JAR (France); Kaoru Kay Akihara / Gimel (Japan); Walid Akkad (France/Lebanon); Lorenz B umer (France); Bhagat (India); Sevan Bi ak i (Turkey); Luz Camino (Spain); Wallace Chan (China); Edmond Chin / Etcetera (China); Lydia Courteille (France); Michele della Valle (Italy/Switzerland); Patrice Fabre (France); James de Givenchy / Taffin (USA); Vicente Gracia (Spain); Hemmerle (Germany); Anna Hu (USA/Taiwan); Michelle Ong / Carnet (China); Suzanne Syz (Switzerland); Nicholas Varney (USA); Stephen Webster (UK); Dickson Yewn / Yewn Heritage (China).
Discover a complete bead jewelry course in a book
Written for the absolute beginner, Bead Jewelry 101 is filled with thorough instructions and step-by-step photographs that expertly guide you through the basics of making bead jewelry. Authors Ann and Karen Mitchell are a dynamic team of jewelry designers who will teach you all about the tools and materials while showing you how to use them. Project chapters are organized by different jewelry parts, called findings, so you will learn new techniques and build new skills with every piece of jewelry you create. You'll find 30 easy projects for making endless jewelry designs, and variations of the projects will give you great ideas and lead you in new directions as you learn to design your own jewelry. You'll also gain exclusive access to online video tutorials. Learn to make bead jewelry in a few hours and enjoy the rewards for a lifetime with Bead Jewelry 101
It's time to make a statement with these stylish necklacesStand out from the crowd with the beautifully bold jewelry in DIY Statement Necklaces Featuring step-by-step instructions and photographs for 35 one-of-a-kind necklaces, this jewelry guide shows you how to transform your entire wardrobe--without spending a fortune. Best of all, each chapter includes quick tutorials on how to customize jewelry materials to create eye-catching statement necklaces that reflect your taste and style. Whether you're looking to brighten up your everyday attire or sparkle in your little black dress, DIY Statement Necklaces helps you craft striking, designer-inspired jewelry without breaking the bank.
Reprint of this bestselling title on contemporary jewelry. An introduction into art jewelry in light of current trends in contemporary fine art and society On Jewellery offers a comprehensive overview of the trends and role of contemporary international jewelry art from the 1960s to today, shown within the context of corresponding trends in art and society. This publication is dedicated to themes such as interdisciplinary collaboration, new means of presentation and contextualization. It also incorporates photography and the relationships between jewelry and the body, jewelry and ornament and new interpretations of traditional technical skills. Furthermore it considers aspects such as terminology and strategies, positioning, prejudices and the significance of content with regard to jewelry. On this basis this publication offers a synopsis of what jewelry art is and what it can be. Its aim is to reveal the characteristics, language and potential of jewelry. A bibliography of the most important works of jewelry art, a directory of jewelry galleries, museums and educational institutions make On Jewellery a compact handbook of contemporary jewelry art. Artists featured include Pia Aleborg, Gijs Bakker, Melanie Bielenker, Manfred Bischoff, Helen Britton, Paul Derrez, Iris Eichenberg, Warwick Freeman, Otto Kunzli, Daniel Kruger, Yuka Oyama, Robert Smit, Annamaria Zanella and Christoph Zellweger. Contents: Beyond the Showcase; Conceptual Jewellery; Jewellery and Photography; Reading Jewellery; Borderline Jewellery; Jewellery and the Body; Jewellery and Ornament; Jewellery and the Goldsmith's Skill; The Language of Jewellery; Documentation: Manifests. Since 1985, Liesbeth den Besten has worked free lance as a writer for newspapers, art and design magazines and exhibition catalogues. She is active as an advisor and jury member for Dutch and international governmental institutions, exhibitions and competitions, and lectures about contemporary jewelry and crafts at international conferences and art academies. She is chairwoman of the Francoise van den Bosch Foundation for contemporary jewelry and one of the founding members of Think Tank, a European Initiative for the Applied Arts."
This comprehensive reference fully explores the various types of beadwork, including beading on fabric, fringing, bead weavings, bead embroidery, and beaded jewelry. With easy-to-follow organization, this guide provides step-by-step directions and 500 full color photos for clear understanding. Basic projects provide opportunities for crafters to try the techniques, and galleries of unique beaded designs and creations by various bead artists offer beautiful examples and inspiration. It's the only book you need to get started on beadwork. Begin your beading adventure today with The Complete Photo Guide to Beading
Micro macram is the technique of making tiny knots with cords that are much thinner than those used in the traditional macram art of the '60s and '70s. With 15 projects, this book turns any novice jewelry maker into a master of this emerging technique. Many of the projects are bracelets, which are popular and quick to work up, but this illustrated guide also includes a variety of necklaces and other beautiful projects. With a focus on techniques, this book also teaches jewelry makers how to incorporate beads and crystals into their macram jewelry to make each piece their own, taking macram from a craft to an art.
Normal 0 MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 A visual catalog for jewelry, bead artists, and crafters for hundreds of ideas at their fingertips to inspire their own projects.1,000 Jewelry Inspirations is a stunning showcase of contemporary jewelry pieces that will feed the creative appetites of crafters and jewelry makers everywhere. Become inspired by this feast of color, sparkle, texture, dimension, and clever, creative use of materials. From simple and elegant to beautiful and elaborate "bling"styles, over 1,000 full-color images will be at your fingertips to inspire your own creative projects. An exploration of jewelry-making techniques will help even inexperienced jewelry makers on their way to making beautiful jewelry. What you'll find: Beads and Baubles Paper and Mixed Media Polymer and Precious Metal Clay Vintage and Repurposed Fibers and Fabric Wire and Metal
Reading like a who's who of modern artists, this catalog retells the history of 20th-century art through jewels.
Numerous canonical artists of the 20th-century showed an interest in jewelry, creating stunning works by transforming their signature visual language into fine metals and gems. Despite the shift towards abstraction and conceptualism from the 1910s onwards, artists continued to bridged the gap between art and craftsmanship. From Picasso to Koons features the private collection of curator Diane Venet, exhibited at the Museum of Art and Design, New York in 2011, the Bass Museum, Miami in 2012, and internationally.
Make gorgeous polymer clay jewelry with instruction and inspiration from polymer clay designers Ilysa Ginsburg and Kira Slye. The unique and artistic techniques in Polymer Clay Art Jewelry provide new, versatile ways for creating fantastic necklaces, earrings, bracelets and more
- 16 beautiful, eye-catching jewelry projects.
- 4 creative themes that appeal to a range of styles.
- Polymer clay techniques that use unusual tools and tricks.
- Fun and inspiring for both beginner and intermediate levels.