Wax + Paper = Artistic Bliss
Unconventional? Sure. The next wave in encaustic painting? Absolutely
Encaustic artists have been branching out--trying new techniques and mediums, mixing it up with unique textures and using traditional art supplies in wholly unexpected ways. So why shouldn't the surfaces be evolving as well?
Well, now they are In Wax and Paper Workshop, not only will you learn some crazy cool techniques (like working with rust and tar and learning how to emboss and embed), you will also explore the benefits of working on paper surfaces--both commercially made and your own handmade papers
Inside you'll find:
- All the basics for working in both wax and paper, including a thorough explanation of required materials and suggestions for setting up your workspace.
- Easy to understand instructions for making paper and supports to suit your every need and whim.
- 14 completely stepped-out encaustic techniques, including those for working on the wax and in the wax for adding tone and nuance to your encaustic masterpieces.
- Dozens of author studio samples and gallery pieces to illustrate, delight and inspire.
- A contributors gallery highlighting the best and the brightest working in wax and paper and giving a sneak peek of the future of these two dynamic and complementary mediums.
You'll find something new and exciting on every page--add Wax and Paper Workshop to your creative toolbox and expand your artistic horizons today
Awaken your senses to a new appreciation of color as you enter the studio of one of the world's leading fabric and quilt designers--Kaffe Fassett. Updated in a visually-exciting new edition, Welcome Home Kaffe Fassett shows you how to combine rich colors and textures to create your own brilliant decorative accents. Kaffe's passion for vivid and intricate design has inspired artistic knitting patterns, stunning needlepoint, unique fabrics, fantastic mosaics, and fabulous patchwork quilts. In these pages he reveals the color theory and sources of inspiration behind his visually exciting work. Take a private tour of Kaffe's historic one-man textile-arts exhibition at the Minneapolis Institute of Art, photographed exclusively for this book. Delight in nine projects, including a completely new project for a full-size snowball quilt. Each design comes with clear step-by-step instructions, how-to diagrams, and templates.
By nature, art journaling is a private activity. But when Dawn Sokol's first book, 1000 Artist Journal Pages, broke the fourth wall and shared the work of artists all over North America and parts of Europe, it created a ripple of inspiration throughout the art journaling community. In this much-anticipated follow-up, Sokol features more than 1,000 new, captivating pages, this time--by popular demand--from artists across the globe. Lists of techniques and materials used for each page, plus behind-the-scenes interviews, give readers a glimpse inside the minds of new and established artists, making this a stimulating compilation sure to inspire beginners and seasoned art journalers alike.
If you think of dolls houses as usually being period houses, it's time to think again In this amazing compendium of miniature buildings, author Sarah Walkley looks at the many other styles of construction created by miniatures enthusiasts including
- cozy cottages
- modern loft apartments
- garden sheds
Each of the 12 chapters will be accompanied by tips on the key techniques needed to recreate a particular style of property. This will include, for example, how to lay wooden floors or work with molding to create a grand country estate, or how to install lighting in a lighthouse.
It aims to provide inspiration to those that are new to the hobby, or want to take their model-making a stage further, as well as being a delightful read for those who are simply fascinated by all things miniature.
From the earliest needles of 25,000 years ago to techno textiles used in Space Shuttle parachutes today, textiles have been fundamental to human existence and achievements, and have informed developments in other areas from agriculture to metallurgy. Textiles are global commodities, common to every culture and for a long time the motivation for trade, the exchange of ideas, and sometimes even conflict. Silks from China, carpets from Persia, ikats from Indonesia, cottons from India, fine linens from Flanders--each of these has helped to shape the modern world. This groundbreaking book surveys, from prehistory to the early twenty-first century, how textiles are made, what they are made from, how they function in society, the ways in which they are valued and given meaning, and the messages they contain. The author shows the intricate relationships between different cultures' textile traditions and demonstrates the significance of the materials we all take for granted in our everyday lives.
Wreaths explores the art of creating wonderful floral pieces, to gift or keep, through a collection of 20 beautiful and natural designs. Learn how to play around with color, foliage, texture, and architectural forms with a craft that is no longer just for Christmas.Packed with ideas, skills and techniques, Katie and Terri will inspire you to bring a touch of nature indoors as they offer a fresh and modern approach to wreath design. Going beyond the traditional shapes, this book will equip you with the know-how to create impressive statement pieces, tropical and dried wreaths, as well as beautiful garlands and a late summer chandelier. Presented through exquisite photography and step-by-step instructions, Wreaths shows how best to maintain and display these botanical creations in your home. Discover the joy of foraging and master the art of making natural wreath frames with this irresistible book - a must-have for lovers of floral arrangements and interiors alike.
- By the author of Floral Diplomacy at the White House (ISBN: 9789058565587) and A White House Christmas (ISBN: 9789058565754)- As an accomplished speaker, Laura lectures and conducts workshops around the USA throughout the year- Each design offers instructions using every day materials, as well as more difficult elements for those interested in a greater challenge- Illustrated throughout in lavish color- Perfect to keep or as a gift for DIY friendsLauraDowling creates beauty and poetry with her signature wreaths, weaving an enticing floral fairy tale of color and inspiration, timeless style and fanciful details that are evocative of secret, wild gardens, meadows and forests brimming with enchantment and delight. With layer upon layer of lush blooms and fruits, entwining vines, and surprising combinations of colors, textures and both every day and extraordinary materials, her wreaths make unique design statements that inspire the imagination with a forward-looking, trend-setting approach. Here in this lavishly illustrated book, Laura shares her inspiration, creative process, and step-by-step tips and techniques for creating 75 beautiful and innovative seasonal wreaths for all occasions. From simple and elegant evergreen wreaths to intricate and elaborate fruit and vegetable designs, Laura provides expert insights and detailed guidelines for replicating her fabulously festive wreaths at home.
Nothing's more enticing for any holiday or special occasion than an awesome, lusciously decorated gingerbread house. With designs for Christmas, Halloween, Valentine's Day, and birthdays, these exquisite projects include a cottage, chalet, and two-story house. Options as customized windows, doors, chimneys, paths, trees, topiaries, and even lighting add to the charm. More than 200 helpful step-by-step process shots; informative sections on tools, techniques, and components; and patterns, piping templates, and tips on baking, assembling, and troubleshooting assure magical results.
Decorate, Embellish, and Transform your home and accessories with 75 easy-to-follow and stylish projects using just a Sharpie pen
Take your coloring to the next level From cups and saucers to sneakers and tote bags, this book is guaranteed to transform your home and your garments with stylish and colorful designs. Clear and easy-to-follow, step-by-step instructions take you through the basics of working with a variety of Sharpie pens, from oil-based and water-based markers to paint pens and more
Ranging from cute and crafty to unique and boutique, these fun, one-of-a-kind projects are for all skill levels and can be easily applied to fashion accessories, home d cor, and many more commonly found objects. Filled with tips, variations, and colorful photographs, it has never been this easy to customize your life. All you need is your creative inspiration, and a Sharpie.